Florida Non-Resident Rules

This is a discussion on Florida Non-Resident Rules within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a new Fla resident with a reciprocal state's concealed carry permit. The local sheriff's office says I don't need a Fla carry. but I'm ...

Thread: Florida Non-Resident Rules

Question Florida Non-Resident Rules

I'm a new Fla resident with a reciprocal state's concealed carry permit. The local sheriff's office says I don't need a Fla carry. but I'm nervous that they may be wrong.

Any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

Me, I'd hang on to my old permit for now and apply for the resident permit as soon as they allow.

BTW welcome to the forum and the state! One excellent resource we have here in FL is a book written by a lawyer in laymans terms covering firearms law and ccw. "Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership" by Jon Gutmacher. Pretty much everyone who has read it said "Wow, I didn't know a lot of that." Almost every gun store has it and he even has a website where you could ask him about it.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/index.shtml

I can't recommend this resource highly enough!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Check attorney generals site. The sheriff is the man in your county so do not worry

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Might want to get that in writing...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum, and I'd check further just to be on the safe side.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Florida152 View Post
    I'm a new Fla resident with a reciprocal state's concealed carry permit. The local sheriff's office says I don't need a Fla carry. but I'm nervous that they may be wrong.

Any opinions?
    If you are now a Florida resident, and you are carrying under a different state's license, you are in violation of the law, IMHO.
    Florida only recognizes resident permits from other states.
    Since you are now a Florida resident, you are no longer a resident of whichever state gave you the permit.
    The good news is, Florida concealed weapons licenses are pretty painless to get, and usually come quick if you do the electronic prints.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

According to handgunlaw.us, Florida does not honor other state's non-resident permits. Since you're no longer a resident of the state where you got your permit, you probably aren't covered. Go for the Florida permit.

how long have you lived in florida? i'm not sure how florida establishes residency; however, most states say you have to be physically living there for a set period of time, say six months, before you are deemed a resident. if you are within that time period, you are not a resident and should be able to continue carrying with your reciprocal state's permit. on the other hand, if you are a bonafide resident, IMO you are carrying illegally.

Senior Moderator
    If you are a US citizen, there is no residency time requirement to obtain a Florida CWFL.

This is the Florida Dept. of Agriculture (which issues the licenses, don't ask me why) website: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/eligible.html

Take a class, do the electronic prints, and you'll have your license in short order.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Oh, and get a copy of Jon Gutmacher's book ASAP.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/index.shtml
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    how long have you lived in florida? i'm not sure how florida establishes residency; however, most states say you have to be physically living there for a set period of time, say six months, before you are deemed a resident. if you are within that time period, you are not a resident and should be able to continue carrying with your reciprocal state's permit. on the other hand, if you are a bonafide resident, IMO you are carrying illegally.
    Be aware that Florida statutes state that you have to turn in your old driver's license and get a shiny new Florida license within thirty days of taking up residence. If you have no other place of residence, then that's the bottom line. If, on the other hand, you maintain a residence outside of Florida, you have to live there for six months and a day... If you spend a day more than six months residing in Florida, then you're a Florida resident, and you better have a Florida driver's license...

Welcome from another Florida resident. If you haven't seen it yet, check out www.floridashootersnetwork.com , we have a great site there.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Links