Carrying concealed on ranges

This is a discussion on Carrying concealed on ranges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my outdoor range, which is run by the county forbids concealed carry . My indoor range witch is private is ok with it. AFS...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying concealed on ranges

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    my outdoor range, which is run by the county forbids concealed carry .
    My indoor range witch is private is ok with it.

AFS

2. Remove Ads

My local indoor range forbids concealed carry but I do it anyway. I would rather not need it and have it, than not have it an need it. No telling what nuts you will encounter in a gun shop. The owners of the shop and range know I carry but have said nothing even though they have a clear sign posted. The worst thing they can do is throw me out, they can\'t legally have me arrested.

MadDog

The county sheriff range has a sign upon entry, unload all weapons past this point. Meaning if they are going to certain areas within the building they must have weapons unloaded. Civilian shooters may not carry in the building they will tell you not to carry. At a local indoor range they have a sign upon entry, no loaded guns past this point. I have been to other outdoor ranges and depending upon the type of event it is run either cold or hot, mostly cold.

At the one here that I frequent, as long as I don\'t juggle a loaded weapon nobody cares.

That is, of course, until I open up with the Carbon 15 pistol and the guys who thought that wearing hearing protection didn\'t apply to them suddenly realize the error of their ways.

Doesnt happen around here unless youre doing a CCW course, all the ranges are privately owned with rules for clearing and muzzle awareness. The guns usually stay cleared on the table whenever the range is cold, so that the lane safeties can be sure no dumbie is going to have a ND while people are downrange.

I've never heard of a range that wouldn't allow concealed carry...thats kinda weird to me that a range wouldn't allow it?

i usually dont worry much about fellow shooters at the range i go to. least not since i started hanging around the rifle lanes. as long as you are shooting some long guns, they dont care if you shoot pistol on the rifle range.

the handgun range does make me nervous every now and then.

and if i'm on the hand gun range, now that i'm down to just one handgun, i'm probably not carrying concealed, my weapon will be cleared and on the table during ceasefires.

Originally posted by Pylon
    I've never heard of a range that wouldn't allow concealed carry...thats kinda weird to me that a range wouldn't allow it?
    I wish we had ranges like you guys get in TN, the ones outside Ft Campbell dont even have general directions of fire.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    There are 3 indoor ranges in my area, I carry concealed at all of them. There is one range to my knowledge that has a complete store (guns ammo etc.) That is posted no CCW. Needless to say I wold not feel right spending money with a hypocrite like that. So I don\'t even go through the door.

To say the truth, i actually feel safer if some people kept their guns concealed and tucked away in a holster. That way at least i know its pointed somewhere safe and won't be touched.

Any ever look over at the other lane and see some guy who obviously barely knows how to use his gun? Sometimes they even point it down range....

I tell you what someone did the other day that scared the sh#t out of me.

Lady in the booth next to me was having trouble with her little .22 target pistol... and TURNED THE LOADED GUN SIDEWAYS, pointed at me, WITH HER FINGER ON THE TRIGGER AND THE CHAMBER CLOSED.

The (female) range officer went BALLISTIC all over her. She let her know that if she ever sees her do something like that again she won't be welcome any more. That was the owner's daughter too so I know good and well she made a note of it.

Our range officers are very strict and it makes me feel better. They run a nice friendly range just like I would run one, and they are safety Nazis. Any horse crap and it's your range card. Goodbye, see ya we don't want your money if you can't consider the safety of others. Even at that they don't care how I carry the gun so long as it's either pointed downrange, muzzle up, or muzzle down.

But then this horrible human being who momentarily forgot her 4 rules was all upset and about to cry; I felt sorry for her even though I\'ve never, and I stress never, have pointed a gun at anyone. I even helped clear a jam for her when one of her cartridges didn't feed properly.

No harm no foul I suppose, my guardian angel was watching over me, and she learned a valuable lesson about watching where you point that thing.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Euclidean
    But then this horrible human being who momentarily forgot her 4 rules was all upset and about to cry; I felt sorry for her even though I've never, and I stress never, have pointed a gun at anyone. I even helped clear a jam for her when one of her cartridges didn't feed properly.

No harm no foul I suppose, my guardian angel was watching over me, and she learned a valuable lesson about watching where you point that thing.
    Not properly educated on gun safety or maybe just dumb and it sounds like the butt chewing she got was well deserved, but a "horrible human being"?

My range has a policy that if you want to shoot your carry gun, it has to be unloaded and cased when you come in. If you aren't going to shoot your carry gun they are cool with CCW as long as the gun remains holstered. Myself, I don't have a problem with the unloaded/cased rule b/c if I'm going to shoot my CCW, I'm not going to shoot my carry ammo every range session. That would just get too expensive! My point being, I have to unload anyway to reload with range ammo. JMHO.
    Gun control is hitting your target.
    -- Amegatek
    Amegatek's Firearms Page

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I agree. I assume that a “cold range” policy means the guns that are out to shoot, and does not apply to my concealed weapon.
    Gotta go along with JT. The Collin County Range that I go to has a "cold range" policy, but they do not specifically prohibit CCW permit holders. They also teach CCW and other defensive courses, and as one could reasonably assume, they will dictate when to load during the class. Since I get the impression that most users of the facility don't have permits, the cold range policy is just a normal safety policy. Good range, good folks!!

JT
    I’ve been meaning to go out to Collin County Gun Range, but I haven’t made it out yet. I hear it is a pretty good range. I also hear they have had several legal battles over the last few years with groups trying to shut them down.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links