Carrying concealed on ranges

This is a discussion on Carrying concealed on ranges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At my local facility when we revised our range rules, we were careful to allow concealed carry on a hot or cold range and everywhere ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying concealed on ranges

VIP Member

At my local facility when we revised our range rules, we were careful to allow concealed carry on a hot or cold range and everywhere on the property.

Does everyone here shoot at facilities where concealed carry is allowed everywhere at all times, or are there restrictions or prohibitions?

What is everyone's opinion of allowing concealed carry everywhere at all times at a shooting range/outdoor facility (we have fishing/camping/picnic areas/archery also)?

I can say that I have been to facilities that prohibit concealed carry on the premises. I have received comments from the membership at my club in support and in opposition to allowing concealed carry.

the indoor ranges I frequent all allow concealed carry. The outdoor range does as well. Except there everyone is so into showing off their rigs that it is primarily open carry. I have seen some crazy star-wars looking race holsters.

~A

I do, and they do, except one on the south side I don\'t go to.

JT
    I usually shoot on private land, but there are three ranges (two outdoor and one indoor) that I frequent on occasion. I actually do not know what their policies on concealed carry are. I always do it, and havenít read anything telling me otherwise so I donít investigate any further.

During my CHL renewal class, I did get asked to unload my weapon. It was at an indoor range with classrooms. Most of the people put their guns in their range bags in the classroom. Iím not use to leaving mine unattended (trips to the restroom, breaks etc.), so mine was concealed as always. We did our range tests halfway through the course, and after I was finished, I took out my empty mag, and replaced it with my carry mag, and re-holstered in my concealed rig. I made no attempt to hide this. One of the workers on the other side of the glass saw me, so when I came out he asked me about it. I told him the truth, at which point he told me they had a no loaded weapons policy in the classroom. I took out the magazine, showed him an empty chamber and then re-holstered. When I got into the classroom, the instructor again asked me about it. I informed him that I had unloaded and re-holstered. I asked him if it was ok the keep the empty gun on me in the classroom. He said it that was ok, so I guess Iíll use them again. I would have been upset if they expected me to leave my handgun in an unsecured classroom.

On a side note, I know they believe their policy has to do with safety, but I wish they were always so concerned with safety. I about jumped out of my seat the couple of times the instructor took out his weapon to illustrate some point and briefly covered me with his muzzle. On second thought, maybe I wonít use them again.

There is only one indoor range here and I believe they state on the door, to the effect, that guns need to be in cases or otherwise \" out of sight\" and unloaded when in traveling to and from the range to your vehicle, but I\'m not exactly sure what that implies on their policy on CCW. I usually carry open in the range, but I guess I will find out today. :)

Well my first impression is since I don\'t support businesses that prohibit my carrying concealed, I won\'t support a range or a club that does either.

I can go along with a facility with a \"cold range\" policy or \"no loaded weapons in the classroom\" as common sense safety, but to prohibit concealed carry would be akin to shooting ones self in the foot.

JT
    I agree. I assume that a ďcold rangeĒ policy means the guns that are out to shoot, and does not apply to my concealed weapon.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    All the gun clubs that I\'ve belonged to (3) or know about allow CCW or open carry on their property. Some have rules about unholstering the gun in the club-room or in the parking lots for valid safety reasons. They don\'t want any accidents, so if you have it on your person, just leave it there until you are on the range.

One club that I belonged to, I would get strange looks when they saw the holstered gun (open in summer, under coat in winter). Almost none of their membership believed in RKBA . . . they are strictly a target shooting/skeet/trap group of people . . . and they could care less if all firearms were banned (as long as they could have their doubles shotguns and target pistols)! I know, I served there as Legislative Chairman for 14 years prior to resigning a number of years ago.

I wouldn\'t use a range that prohibited concealed carry. A gun range of all places should support our legal right to carry. The local ranger here (Bullet Trap in Plano, TX) does not allow open carry, but does allow concealed.

Problem: people want to show their guns......solution, do not allow guns out of cases/holster in the club rooms.

When I teach, there are no loaded guns or live ammo in the class. We use dummy/red handle guns for demo, and use dummy ammo when real guns must be used. All guns are checked by two instructors and two students before being used for demo. All dummy ammo is checked by instructors and students.

No student is allowed to remove any personal gun from any holster or container during any part of my class. To do so results in ejection with no money back.

On the range during matchs, only range officers are allowed loaded carry. If you have a concealed gun that is not going to be used in the match, that is loaded, fine.................just keep it concealed.

If you are going to shoot your carry gun in a match, we have a load/unload area. Also have designated \'fiddle'area.

No gun handling is allowed anywhere else during a match.

JT
    Originally posted by KC135
    When I teach, there are no loaded guns or live ammo in the class. We use dummy/red handle guns for demo, and use dummy ammo when real guns must be used. All guns are checked by two instructors and two students before being used for demo. All dummy ammo is checked by instructors and students.
    I agree 100% with this for any class where guns are brought out to be used for training. In a CHL class, guns are not brought out for training purposes. Mine was never brought out in class, only on the range. There is no reason to not allow concealed guns in a class where the guns are not used. You have no risk of a live round being fired in a training scenario, because that is not part of the class. However, it was not a big deal for me that they said ďno loaded guns in classĒ. What would have been a big deal, is if they said I could not have it on my person, in itís holster. It is irresponsible to but it in a range bag, on the floor, if you are not right there in control of the bag at all times. I was surprised at how many people did this.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I\'m with JT on this one.

VIP Member
    If you attend any course that is offered by the NRA they have a no live ammunition in the classroom rule. Part of what they call the three legged stool of gun safety. You need three things to have a firearms accident. A firearm, live ammunition, and a person. Remove one and there should be no way to have an accidental shooting. So no live ammunition in the classroom. The reloading courses do not allow any firearms since the purpose of the course is to make live ammunition.

Competitions have rules all their own as well. Around here typically only your competition firearm is to be loaded and other things like that.

Our range is an \"open range\" (no RSO) where people are allowed to carry when the range is hot and cold. Cold at our range stipulates no firearm handling at all. This is because if you are down at the 100 yd line and you see a guy getting down behind a rifle to check something out, what would you think.:(

Our rules do allow you to carry your loaded firearm on your person in a holster when the range is cold. That seems to be the thing that some of our members have a problem with.

Ranges here have no problem with it .. I like the one sign i saw that says concealed means concealed no showing off... They will actually kick you off the range if you make a point of showing it off and out fo the store...

Course there 2 bullet holes in the ceiling at one counter so i see there point ... i dont shoot there but buy guns there..

The range I frequent has a sign up that says \"no loaded firearms in the store.\" There\'s another one on the door leaving the range to remind you. Now that the sign went up, one of two things happens. Those carrying either unload their carry gun before going in, or leave their carry gun alone when inside, just as they would in any other public place. Both have the same effect, no holes where they shouldn\'t be, specificly the wiley-x display case, as a result of someone de-cocking a Sig, without using the de-cocker...

If he had a no CC sign up, I\'d shop elsewhere, and have someone else work on my guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links