Poll : Carry Weapon Capacity/Extra Magazine

This is a discussion on Poll : Carry Weapon Capacity/Extra Magazine within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I've been puzzled by this question for the past few days. For my personal uses I feel that 11 rounds of hollow point in ...

View Poll Results: My primary carry weapon holds ______ and I _____

Voters
327. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 6 rounds and I generally carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

19 5.81%
  • <6 rounds and I don't carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

6 1.83%
  • 6-8 rounds and I generally carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

69 21.10%
  • 6-8 rounds and I don't carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

22 6.73%
  • 8+ rounds and I generally carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

141 43.12%
  • 8+ rounds and I don't carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

70 21.41%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll : Carry Weapon Capacity/Extra Magazine

So, I've been puzzled by this question for the past few days. For my personal uses I feel that 11 rounds of hollow point in my XD-9 subcompact is more than enough for me however I've had a few people tell me that, more or less, I'm a moron for not carrying an extra magazine with me. I hope I won't ever have to use the weapon on me and I don't foresee myself getting into an extended gunfight but I thought it would be interesting to collect some community statistics.

So, without further aideu I present my poll : How many rounds does your *primary* carry weapon hold and do you regularly carry an extra magazine or speedloader with you?
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

While I don't generally carry an extra magazine I frequently carry a bug.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

I generally don't worry about it. Some of the self defense guru's say that almost no civilian situations involve a reload anyway. If 7-9mm rounds of +p can't handle my problem, It's time to run anyway.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

If 11 rounds of .45 doesn't do it, I'm runnin too.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    After watching Todd Jarrett at on shooting gallery having a magazine disingrate and all his ammo drop out of the bottom I was convinced that at least one spare mag wasn't a bad idea to have in case of a castrophic magazine failure.

My 1911 only can hold 8+1 and I found out that the sheath that came with one of my knives can be mounted horizontal on my belt causing it to conceal well.

I try to carry a spare mag for each gun I'm carrying, even if I got a couple of BUGs with me for the reason I gave earlier.

Like anything it's a personal choice whether or not to carry spare mags.
    Last edited by Dakotaranger; November 16th, 2006 at 06:47 AM.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I carry a spare mag, like a spare tire. It's there just in case something goes wrong with the first one.

13+13+1 of .40 for my USP.

I always have at least one spare mag with me when I carry. My current mags for the 1911 are 7rnds and the 1911 is 7+1. I would rather have an extra mag and not need it, then need it and not have it.

try a search this is one of the topics that comes up every 2-3 months usually with a poll

that said it depends i pack a 1911 so 1 in the pipe 8 in the mag depending on what im wearing or where im going i will carry a extra mag or 2 most of the time i carry just the 1911

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    5 shots of 38 special, no bug, no speedloader, no loose cartridges. not the most complete plan, i know.
    God bless.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    While I don't generally carry an extra magazine I frequently carry a bug.
    I agree but I aways carry a bug!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Depends for me. If I carry my Px4 it's 17+1 and a reload of 17. Mostly anymore though I'm carrying my Kimber Pro Carry II, which is 8 + 1 and two reloads of 8. The keltec P32 that I carry at work is only 7+1. I don't carry a reload for it.

EDIT: I forgot, I carry a FEG Pa-63 in 9x18mm when I walk at the park. It's light, 7+1, and an extra magazine of 7.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; November 16th, 2006 at 10:43 AM.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I carry ball in the spare, also, mags fail

12+1 plus 12 in a spare mag for my p229 in .40=25.

Glock 23 w/13 round mag.
    g22 15 round mag. on belt backed up by NAA .22 mini mag.
    Front left pocket

One more g22 mag in glove box.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

So, there’s a simple way to answer this question. test what you carry to see if it will work by setting up some likely scenarios shooting through them.

I used to carry a Kimber Compact and one extra magazine (7+1 in the gun and 7 in the extra magazine). When some friends and I started setting up scenarios and shooting through them, I found I often ran out of ammo before I ran out of threats that needed to be neutralized. Also, I found myself standing there at the end with an empty, or nearly empty, gun. At that point I realized this wouldn’t be a good situation to be in of an adversary’s friends showed up.

So, I now carry a Kimber TLE and two extra magazines (8+1 in the gun and 8 in each of two extra magazines). On occasion, I carry a third extra magazine, and probably should on a regular basis.

Most of the guys I shoot with carry two reloads, a few carry three, and one carries four for his two Glocks (a primary gun and a smaller backup that both take the same magazine). So, I guess I’m actually one of the more conservative folks in the group.

There’s an old adage that says, “Use enough gun.” There probably should be one that says, “Bring enough ammo.” If you bring extra ammo that you don’t need, it’s been only a minor nuisance to carry it. If you need more ammo and don’t have it, it could be a bit more than a minor nuisance.

By the way, does anyone else test their carry gear by shooting defensive scenarios with it on a regular basis?

HG
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links