Defensive Carry banner

My primary carry weapon holds ______ and I _____

• < 6 rounds and I generally carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

Votes: 19 5.8%
  • <6 rounds and I don't carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • 6-8 rounds and I generally carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

Votes: 70 21.3%
  • 6-8 rounds and I don't carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

Votes: 22 6.7%
  • 8+ rounds and I generally carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • 8+ rounds and I don't carry an extra magazine/speedloader.

Votes: 70 21.3%

Poll : Carry Weapon Capacity/Extra Magazine

6K views 74 replies 55 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 ·
So, I've been puzzled by this question for the past few days. For my personal uses I feel that 11 rounds of hollow point in my XD-9 subcompact is more than enough for me however I've had a few people tell me that, more or less, I'm a moron for not carrying an extra magazine with me. I hope I won't ever have to use the weapon on me and I don't foresee myself getting into an extended gunfight but I thought it would be interesting to collect some community statistics.

So, without further aideu I present my poll : How many rounds does your *primary* carry weapon hold and do you regularly carry an extra magazine or speedloader with you?

#3 ·
I generally don't worry about it. Some of the self defense guru's say that almost no civilian situations involve a reload anyway. If 7-9mm rounds of +p can't handle my problem, It's time to run anyway.

#5 · (Edited)
After watching Todd Jarrett at on shooting gallery having a magazine disingrate and all his ammo drop out of the bottom I was convinced that at least one spare mag wasn't a bad idea to have in case of a castrophic magazine failure.

My 1911 only can hold 8+1 and I found out that the sheath that came with one of my knives can be mounted horizontal on my belt causing it to conceal well.

I try to carry a spare mag for each gun I'm carrying, even if I got a couple of BUGs with me for the reason I gave earlier.

Like anything it's a personal choice whether or not to carry spare mags.

#8 ·
try a search this is one of the topics that comes up every 2-3 months usually with a poll

that said it depends i pack a 1911 so 1 in the pipe 8 in the mag depending on what im wearing or where im going i will carry a extra mag or 2 most of the time i carry just the 1911

#30 ·
Same here. It is enough for a 1 on 1 confrontation with the possibility of scaring more away. It won't provide me cover fire and it won't be enough if the zombies attack but it is comfortable for me to carry every day. I am uncomfortable carrying the 229. I have been considering one of the small Kahrs in .40 or a SIG 232 to up my round count and so that I can start carrying an extra mag.

#11 · (Edited)
Depends for me. If I carry my Px4 it's 17+1 and a reload of 17. Mostly anymore though I'm carrying my Kimber Pro Carry II, which is 8 + 1 and two reloads of 8. The keltec P32 that I carry at work is only 7+1. I don't carry a reload for it.

EDIT: I forgot, I carry a FEG Pa-63 in 9x18mm when I walk at the park. It's light, 7+1, and an extra magazine of 7.

#15 ·
So, there’s a simple way to answer this question. Test what you carry to see if it will work by setting up some likely scenarios shooting through them.

I used to carry a Kimber Compact and one extra magazine (7+1 in the gun and 7 in the extra magazine). When some friends and I started setting up scenarios and shooting through them, I found I often ran out of ammo before I ran out of threats that needed to be neutralized. Also, I found myself standing there at the end with an empty, or nearly empty, gun. At that point I realized this wouldn’t be a good situation to be in of an adversary’s friends showed up.

So, I now carry a Kimber TLE and two extra magazines (8+1 in the gun and 8 in each of two extra magazines). On occasion, I carry a third extra magazine, and probably should on a regular basis.

Most of the guys I shoot with carry two reloads, a few carry three, and one carries four for his two Glocks (a primary gun and a smaller backup that both take the same magazine). So, I guess I’m actually one of the more conservative folks in the group.

There’s an old adage that says, “Use enough gun.” There probably should be one that says, “Bring enough ammo.” If you bring extra ammo that you don’t need, it’s been only a minor nuisance to carry it. If you need more ammo and don’t have it, it could be a bit more than a minor nuisance.

By the way, does anyone else test their carry gear by shooting defensive scenarios with it on a regular basis?

HG

#17 ·
Done to death every month or two LOL , but My opinion is ....

Folks who dont carry at least one reload will leave on a trip unshure if there is even a spare tire in the vehicle , much less if its serviceable . Its really the same mindset .

#18 ·
It's hard enough to carry my PX4 concealed much less the additional 17rd mag. For now, I'm satisfied with 17+1. When cold weather gets here, I'll probably carry an extra. When I get a Kahr K9 in the spring, I will carry one or two extra mags of 7 for that.

#19 ·
I would rather carry my gun in condition three than travel without an extra magazine.

People who say "If 7 rounds aint enough, you're in a lot of trouble anyway..." are usually trying to sell you a gun with a 7 round mag.

#20 ·
Haha - the old cherry!

Well 15+1 and majority of time, as I am at home working and thus not out much - that's it.

Trips out could well depending on their nature see another mag aboard and/or a BUG.

#24 ·
Soon to be carrying SA XD9 15+1. I will not carry an extra mag. Just too much stuff to carry as is. I will take my chances with mag malfunctioning and 16 shots.

Afterall, if mag malfunctions after you squeeze off a round, and let's say you miss, you WILL NOT have enough time to reload. The BG will be on top of you pummeling your brains in, probably with your weapon. I don't care if you are the fastest reloader in the world.

I also don't believe that I will be in a scenario where I will be taking cover, shooting at multiple bad guys, and needing to reload. If I were in that type of situation, the title of my movie would be, "Wrong End of Town".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.