Gotta Wonder

Gotta Wonder

This is a discussion on Gotta Wonder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was in the locker room of my local gym a few weeks ago. Heard the unmistakeable sound of someone racking the slide and chambering a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Gotta Wonder

Gotta Wonder

Was in the locker room of my local gym a few weeks ago. Heard the unmistakeable sound of someone racking the slide and chambering a round a few rows of lockers away.
    I finished dressing and left as quickly as possible. Didn't even see who it was and don't know if the person was still there or not when I left.

Taking one's weapon into the gym and keeping it concealed is one thing, but racking the slide and chambering a round in that setting IMHO is an ill advised action.
    Just ponder the possibilities of what could have been going on - very innocent to ????. What if I had been a leo or an anti? You get the point.

Is it just me or am I way off base?

It'd definitely be a little disconcerting to me. Maybe he left it in his locker unloaded in case somehow someone got into it and was readying himself to go home? Dunno. Best to be aware of it though.
    Ogre likes this.

OP I think you are overreacting....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I would have asked the person what they were carrying and compared it to what I was carrying. I may have just found a new friend.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I agree with Pilgrim. I hate to leave my weapon anywhere, but there are a few places I cannot carry that provide storage. I always eject mag, an clear the weapon then use a trigger lock. When I regain my weapon I unlock, insert mag, chamber and top off mag. Then holster and put in my pocket.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'm with Harryball on this one. I wonder why gun people are scared by other people with guns.......
    kmagnuss and oldnfat like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I see no problem and I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that he thought he was alone in the locker room.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I see no problem and I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that he thought he was alone in the locker room.
    I agree, if I had to clear my gun to secure it, I would certainly chamber a round before holstering it. With that said, regardless of whether I thought I was alone or not, I would rack the slide quietly to avoid alarming anyone that may be uncomfortable with guns.

OP, I think you were over reacting and should have used that opportunity to make acquaintances with a fellow armed member of your gym.

I'm discreet with my carry piece at the gym, mostly because they forbid weapons and I'm not carrying it to provoke a response and jeapordize my membership. If I'm on the main floor the gun is concealed on my person, if I'm planning to use the pool I either secure it in a locker with my phones and wallet or bring a small duffel poolside. I don't think I would be too concerned if I heard someone rack a slide on a handgun but my awareness would momentarily peak. Now if I heard a shotgun being racked from the other side of the lockers I'd probably cry for mama.

VIP Member
    Lighten up Francis....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Wouldn't bother me. I'd assume he was preparing to leave and was making his gun ready prior to reholstering.
    NewtownSam and oldnfat like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I haven't seen any gym lockers that were all that stout I'd want to be very sure nobody knew it was in there. Loudly racking the slide would seem to be letting the cat out of the bag and inviting locker theft on your next visit.

No bang, no problem.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Lighten up Francis....
    Really, how do you know he's not an active shooter that's finally snapped today and racking a round and walking to the pool area with a duffle of magazines to shoot the 40 kids neatly contained in the pool area. Lighten up?? This board is filled with people walking around with guns on their sides just waiting for that unlikely event, and when they're presented with a scenario where they hear a round being racked in a place where there shouldn't be a round being racked, their reaction is it must be a fellow friend with a gun. Too funny. When I see a guy take a gun out at the mall and rack a round, I'll just give him a friendly wave and keep shopping and lighten up a bit. :-) The only place a round should be racked is at your home, the range or in a pending danger. Personally, I'd inform the front desk some guy is in the locker room with a gun and has racked a round, I have no idea what his intentions are. I'll let him play 20 question with the two cops that show up. ...and I'm a friend to us gun carriers. Imagine if I wasn't. I'd be royally pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by .40 View Post
    Really, how do you know he's not an active shooter that's finally snapped today and racking a round and walking to the pool area with a duffle of magazines to shoot the 40 kids neatly contained in the pool area. Lighten up?? This board is filled with people walking around with guns on their sides just waiting for that unlikely event, and when they're presented with a scenario where they hear a round being racked in a place where there shouldn't be a round being racked, their reaction is it must be a fellow friend with a gun. Too funny. When I see a guy take a gun out at the mall and rack a round, I'll just give him a friendly wave and keep shopping and lighten up a bit. :-) The only place a round should be racked is at your home, the range or in a pending danger. Personally, I'd inform the front desk some guy is in the locker room with a gun and has racked a round, I have no idea what his intentions are. I'll let him play 20 question with the two cops that show up. ...and I'm a friend to us gun carriers. Imagine if I wasn't. I'd be royally pissed.
    Then I am sure you have heard of the saying. "With friends like you who needs enemies"
    lokalmotive, Aceoky and Aceoky like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links