Bird Shot ammo for a pistol?? - Page 2

Bird Shot ammo for a pistol??

This is a discussion on Bird Shot ammo for a pistol?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs I do have occation to know that birdshot out of an open bore 12 ga is not a stopper at ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bird Shot ammo for a pistol??

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I do have occation to know that birdshot out of an open bore 12 ga is not a stopper at 45 ft or so . it makes " pimples " under the skin that the nurses take out , hurts a bit for a couple of weeks , but it in no way slows anyone down .
    I'm not going to ask....

Ouch...

Ouch Ouch Ouch
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

If you want to get a bears attention load birdshot round in a 44mag, be sure to load the rest of the rounds with hard lead cause you are going to have one pissed off bear.

If that was the only ammo you had with you in a survival situation you might be able to shoot small game or birds if you are really good at sneaking close to them, not much good for anything else.

Not bad for shooting cans or clay targets up close.

Not a good idea for CCW. It will just get you in more trouble. If a shooting is justified it is a shooting intended to stop (kill) a threat. Most likely it will cause a FTF or FTE in an autoloader.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    If you want to get a bears attention load birdshot round in a 44mag, be sure to load the rest of the rounds with hard lead cause you are going to have one pissed off bear.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by talon View Post
    That load is usually used by hikers to protect against snakes. BUT have you seen taurus' new revolver "the judge" ? the thing will chamber a 3" 410 shell and looks like a beast in their add spot., but then I think the big hole in the target is made by the wad passing through. Still makes you think about it as a car gun.

I saw the ad, and it really looked interesting ( model name is . Model 44 Ten 45/410).Since I work out of my car, I've thought that I might want a car gun in addition to my carry piece since it can be somewhat hard to reach seated.
    My local gun shop doesn't carry it, so if I really want it, I'll have to find one. Should I decide to get one, I probably would load 2 410 shells, and the rest 45 colt.

First, these rounds are NOT intended as defensive rounds, and are NOT suitable for such use.

Second, the idea of a less-than-lethal round for your defensive handgun is really, REALLY bad! A handgun, by definition nowadays, is a LETHAL response to a situation, and should ONLY be used when LETHAL force is justified. Load bird shot into your gun and you are liable to get into the mindset of "well, I can go ahead and draw my weapon and use it--even though lethal force isn't really justified yet--because my first two shots won't be lethal anyway." That kind of mindset is a very, VERY good way to end up in prison for a long time, because you used a LETHAL weapon in a situation that did not justify it!

I cannot stress this strongly enough: DO NOT TRY THIS!!! DO NOT EVEN THINK ANYMORE ABOUT IT!!! The law considers a handgun a LETHAL weapon no matter what you put into it, or fire out of it!!!

VIP Member

Bird Shot Ammo...

I think it's for the birds!

Awe come on... sombody had to say it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

use of handgun shot rounds

Having been in situations involving federal arrests and use of fire power, I would submit that to be able to fire the first round of rat shot followed by a hydo-shock or hollow point round would certainly be the most effective method of ending a controvery involving an armed assailant. Having been there done that...best re-think that first round. While he/she is picking the shot out of his/her eyes you then may administer the autopsy shot with ease and accuracy. The bigger the cal the more annoyance and diversion...LOVE IT and every weapon I own is loaded in that order.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    That was a usefull link!

I have used speer.38 special shot loads for snakes & have found one has to be pretty close to the snake if You want to kill it (I HATE SNAKES) .

My old 2inch Charter Arms with snake shot was worthless my 4 inch Colt DiamondBack worked well enough but my Dad's 6 inch 1948 S&W M&P worked we thought even better.

Dad always kept the first two chambers loaded with snakeshot backed up by four 158 grain LRN. On some of those big timber rattelers he wouldent bother with the snake shot (diddent want to get THAT close) he would index the cylinder by hand then shoot 'em through the head!

Dad a WW2 vet always took out the snake shot when he came back inside & reloaded with lead as that old Smith was his nightstand gun.

2006? Is that a record?

Anyway....

Less lethal ammo and pistol shot is not suitable for use in a self defense pistol. It was bad in 2006 and it's bad today.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    If I were you I would look to other places for SD advice, your friend is going to get you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    The person told it me it would be great for self defense.....
    I ain't going to bet my life on it....but if you want to bet yours, go ahead.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

The person told it me it would be great for self defense.....to load the last two (first two rnds to enter the gun) with this bird shot type ammo.
    I wonder if this guy is planning on burglarising your house.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

November 16th, 2006 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    I was told that you can buy bird shot (I presume a miniature shotgun shell) for most major calibers. But I have not come across any....anybody seen something like this. The person told it me it would be great for self defense.....to load the last two (first two rnds to enter the gun) with this bird shot type ammo....

I guess it makes sense....seams less lethal, and im sure in a .45 it could still put someone on their butt....anyone know anything about this type of ammo?
    Should we have a warning on resurrecting old threads like THR does?

To those that are obviously still interested in the topic though... I have some shotloads for my .38. We got them for hiking to supplement my .40 as I'm not confident in being able to hit a venomous snake in that kind of stress. Having shot a few to test them out, here are my thoughts.

1) I wouldn't want to be shot by one. That being said, unless I was hit point-blank in the face, I don't think that it would stop me either.

2) In a revolver, they're great. Considering how much lighter the recoil is than the 125 grain standard pressure ball ammo I practice with, I doubt that they'd cycle a slide in an autoloader. Some others have pointed out that they had issues in this regard.

3) In an autoloader, if they did cycle, I'd be afraid of having one of the shot cups bust and leak those tiny #9 shot pellets into the action when the round engaged the feed ramp, especially considering the front of the shot cup is squared off. Or even having a shot cup break on the next round in the magazine, gumming it up.

4) In a short barrel, the effective range is about the same as a snake's strike, plus about three feet. That means that I'm comfortable shooting a snake in striking range, but not any farther. This works with wild animals like snakes, as they'll escape if they can. Legged predators (two and four) are more likely to pursue you than a snake, needing a longer effective range.

5) I've never tested it myself, but I'm told that in any longer barrel than a 2" snubbie, the shot will scatter because of the rotational speed being higher, so they wouldn't be as effective. I'm not sure about the physics of this, since the shot cup itself shatters when it hits the rifling, but it makes a bit of sense.

Stuff won't cycle my 1911 carry guns so I got rid of it. I figure if a 1911 has to be pulled out, I'm beyond the making friends stage. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links