Employer Opinions?

This is a discussion on Employer Opinions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm curious, if you work in a part of town that recently had a cop get shot and killed, and your place of work ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CLASS3NH
  • 2 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 1 Post By MrsHB

Thread: Employer Opinions?

Employer Opinions?

So I'm curious, if you work in a part of town that recently had a cop get shot and killed, and your place of work was 1.) Robbed at gunpoint at the beginning of the year, 2.) Had an attempted break in, and 3.) Had an adult threaten to come back and shoot up the place and everyone in it, would you CC there even if the employer doesn't allow it for employees? It'd be one thing, of course, if the center we're in said no weapons, but this is only the employer speaking of employees.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    It may not be ultimately the employer's decision. It may be due to their insurance. However, I would go to your employer and make the case as stated ^^^^^^^^^^^above^^^^^^^^^^^. It might also be a good idea to find out if there are other cc'ers in your place of employ and ask them to join you. There is strength in numbers.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

...if I can legally carry, I'm carrying...concealed, so no one will know it...I care a lot more about my safety than a customer, a boss, or a corporation does...

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    It may not be ultimately the employer's decision. It may be due to their insurance. However, I would go to your employer and make the case as stated ^^^^^^^^^^^above^^^^^^^^^^^. It might also be a good idea to find out if there are other cc'ers in your place of employ and ask them to join you. There is strength in numbers.
    Exactly. I don't own a company anymore, but when I did I would look at the following:

1. What do I feel is the right thing to do?
    2. What is the impact either way from an Insurance perspective?
    3. What is the impact from a Legal perspective?
    4. What message does this send?

As a business owner you want to do things that will protect you / your business / your employees first, and then look at it from the perspectives of perception (internal and external) and cost. You can usually find a reasonably inexpensive way to do the right thing - although that is certainly biased by the beliefs of the business owner.

The best advice often came from a good attorney familiar with working with small businesses (having familiarity with, but not necessarily an expert on, topics like HR and insurance). Often I would be instructed that a "do nothing" approach provided the greatest flexibility and protection. Sometimes it would just be a policy statement (e.g., a policy to call a taxi and expense the fee if you are ever drinking during a work related function or trip).

It took a little work and money up-front on my end to get the input needed to make the final decision, but that equated to a few hours of my time, usually $250 or less, and a wait of up to a week. This is where lionround's comment about "strength in numbers" could help, but you definitely want to do things in the right way (i.e., build a positive and brief business case, don't be abusive, no threats, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    this is my personal opinion:

if you are in your legal right to carry there then i would. the employer may say no but if it has had a history of stuff happening there i would want to protect myself. as long as you are legal in your state to carry in that store as a customer though. that way you wont be charged with anything, worse thing would be you get fired, but at least you are alive.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I guess I would invest in some breakaway pants.
    Or carry a small single stack 9 in a pocket holster and hug no one.Are you in an office type enviorment al day?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePilgrim View Post
    So I'm curious, if you work in a part of town that recently had a cop get shot and killed, and your place of work was 1.) Robbed at gunpoint at the beginning of the year, 2.) Had an attempted break in, and 3.) Had an adult threaten to come back and shoot up the place and everyone in it, would you CC there even if the employer doesn't allow it for employees? It'd be one thing, of course, if the center we're in said no weapons, but this is only the employer speaking of employees.
    I would not be employed by such an establishment. Easy for me to say, since I am retired and financially independent, but true nonetheless.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    It's a personal choice, I guess. Just make sure you understand that your 'choice' isn't a choice about your rights; it's about what is more important to you personally. If you choose to carry against company policy and you get caught, you will probably be fired (deservedly so). If you choose to not carry, because it is company policy, and someone comes in and starts shooting, then you will have to hide or flee, because fighting back won't be much of an option.

As it was mentioned, I wouldn't hesitate to bring up the conversation if you feel that your environment is unsafe to the point where your concerns are legitimate. It may be that the employer actually shares your concern and would be open to changing their policy if you can present your case in a clear, positive manner. It could be that they are beholden to other legal factors outside their control (lease, insurance, etc.) and they really cannot do anything about the policy. If that's the case, then it's up to you to either observe company policy or willfully break it; or find a new job where you don't have to make that choice.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

My opinion only.
    If it were me, I'd carry and not tell anybody. If it's such a tough neighborhood, I'd also be looking for another position somewhere else.
    I'd rather lose my job, than lose my Life
    JTNiggle likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I will definately follow company rules, and policy. And not carry a small revolver with a bit of spare ammo on my person. One thing I do know is this... You have to be alive to get fired.
    Snub44 and JTNiggle like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    No, I would quit.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    As stated; it's YOUR life.
    Personally I prefer life over death at this point.

There may have been no incidents in the past at your place of employment; but then again, if I could predict when the SHTF, I would know what day to carry my gun and when to leave it home.
    My crystal ball just ain't that good.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

It's often said on this forum, "You shouldn't be anywhere WITH a gun, that you wouldn't feel safe being WITHOUT one."

I think that goes for employment, too.

The only job I ever quit without notice was a job I'd accepted at a convenience store when I was a 20 year old college student. 2 weeks in, the manager informed me I would be taking over the night shift. This meant being alone in the store from 10 pm to 2 am -- the time when all the drunks, weirdos, and criminals are roaming about. As a smallish young female, there was absolutely.no.way. I was going to do that. That was back before CC was legal in that state, but even if I'd had a gun, it wouldn't have been worth the risk.

There are always other jobs but you only get one life.
    JTNiggle likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Since this could be a discussion of illegal activity, I am closing it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links