Armed and Unprepared

Armed and Unprepared

This is a discussion on Armed and Unprepared within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently met my girlfriend for a dinner party that included 3 other couples. By the time I arrived she had managed to tell everyone ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed and Unprepared

Armed and Unprepared

I recently met my girlfriend for a dinner party that included 3 other couples. By the time I arrived she had managed to tell everyone in the room that I carry. Upon entrance I found myself bombarded with questions about what I carry. I was called crazy by a couple of the women in the room and laughed at by the men for carrying a BUG. This is where things really got strange to me. A couple of the guys let out that they also have CCW permits and frequently carry. In fact one of the guys pulled a semi-auto .40 out right there for everyone to see. Then both guys let me know that they never shoot. In fact the guy who produced the weapon let me know that it had never been fired. They then both revealed that they didn't know how to clean and maintain their guns. I was then asked by both of them if i would meet them at the range friday after work. I currently live in Atlanta GA which does not require any training to go along with the permit. This experience has me wondering what percentage of CCW permit holders are unfamiliar with their weapons. What do you think?

IMHO,granting someone a CCW permit without training is insane.Can you get a driver's license without taking a driving test?I don't want a bunch of people on the streets around me that are carring guns they don't even know how to shoot or engage the safety on!I see people at the range that are clueless about the safe operation of the guns they shoot.LEARN YOUR WEAPONS,PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh yeah,eb27,you might want to clue your girlfriend to keep your carry on the Q.T.!There's a reason it's called"concealed".
    Last edited by 686; November 16th, 2006 at 08:13 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Where I am at, they must demonstrate that they can safely handle a gun. In the course that I teach that means 50 rounds downrange with numerous loadings and reloadings. In the course we also cover cleaning and basic maintenance.

They will be familiar with their guns before they get signed off.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I agree that someone should know what they are doing if they carry a firearm. However the analogy of the drivers licens won't work as there is no ammendment guaranteeing us the right to drive. who sets how much training is needed, the liberals? Dangerous road to travel in my opinion.

VIP Member
    ....not saying what you need to do, but I'd have a serious heart-to-heart with the young lady if she were my GF.

Other than that....welcome to the forum eb27.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Several Tough Pieces of Advice...

First of all, get a new girlfriend...she is doing you 'no favors'. Actually, all she needs is 'direct intervention' conversation.

Are there people who CCW and have never fired their weapons? You betcha...but not the ones I want to be around.

For someone to just take out his/her weapon to show everyone in a 'mixed' (pro/anti...or just not sure) crowd...is not very smart. This crowd you were 'hanging' with sounds like a bunch of 'accidents waiting to happen.'

Stay concealed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank's for the feedback. I did pull my girlfriend aside and explained to her why she should never out me again. Hopefully she's not a slow learner.

eb27,
    It sounds like a great time to teach these guys about their guns, why they need to practice, how to maintain their guns, and what to do if they ever have to use their guns.. It's partly the states fault for not requireing any knowledge/training to get their permits, partly their own fault for not trying to get some knowledge/training on their own.
    Then there are the people that get their permit and use it like some kind of fashion statement. And thats a whole different problem!

Be safe.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    By the time I arrived she had managed to tell everyone in the room that I carry.
    damm ... i dont know just where to start here lol . ok ill speak plain ... She just hit the " strike two " level with that , she can stfu about me and what i do or go away , as a matter of fact with me it would be strike 3 and she is gone , but then i am old and set in my ways , you young guys gotta be more patent lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

This very thing is why I like that Minnesota requires a basic carry class that talks over the law, carry issues and shooting qualification.

People should become versed in handgun handling, care and shooting enough to not do stupid stuff.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Georgia! what a great place. A place you can exercise your second amendment rights!. I don't think it is crazy for someone to be allowed to carry without training....it is an amendment right, NH is better but I know like Georgia.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Second Amendment Rights and common sense

I agree that the Second Amendment doesn't include a training requirement to exercise the right.

But then there is common sense for your own safety and that of others around you. It seems pretty dumb for someone to buy a gun and ammo, load it up and carry it on his belt when he has never received instruction in how to use it safely, or fired the gun in practice. I wouldn't want to be within range of somebody like that.

Since both of these amateur CCW holders asked you to show them the ropes, I suppose you could do a good deed by helping them out and taking them shooting. But start with an empty gun lesson on safety and handling before you let them load up.

In answer to your last question about how many CCW holders have received a permit with no training or practice, I hope the number is small. Most states won't issue the permit until you have received some training. In Arizona, for example, you have to do 2 days in a classroom to meet the training requirement - and you don't get to shoot the gun until the last 4 hours or so.

eb27,

Deep six the GF, she sucks and in more ways than one.
    As for the morons at that get together showing their wepons, having never shot them thus totally unfamiliar witht hem, and not knowing how to maintain them...they too are losers.
    You don't see EMT or nurses being walking around with emergnecy use tools still in the box having zero hands on experience with what they carry in the event of an emergency.
    Morons.

Find a new crowd to hang with. :\

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; November 17th, 2006 at 12:55 AM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

For more discussion about training and whether it should be required, here's a thread to view: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...light=training

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Deep six the GF, she sucks and in more ways than one.
    As for the morons at that get together showing their wepons, having never shot them thus totally unfamiliar witht hem, and not knowing how to maintain them...they too are losers.
    You don't see EMT or nurses being walking around with emergnecy use tools still in the box having zero hands on experience with what they carry in the event of an emergency.
    Morons.

Find a new crowd to hang with. :\

- Janq
    This was not my thread,i just responded to it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links