Thoughts on concealed carrying an XD 40

This is a discussion on Thoughts on concealed carrying an XD 40 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased my first pistol over 3 years ago and have loved shooting ever since. I purchased the Springfield XD 40 5". I just received ...

Thread: Thoughts on concealed carrying an XD 40

I purchased my first pistol over 3 years ago and have loved shooting ever since. I purchased the Springfield XD 40 5". I just received my CPL for VA and am looking forward to finally exercising my right. The pistol is somewhat large in my opinion but I love it. Any thoughts on carrying this pistol? Pros and cons? Also, what is the best clothing to wear while carrying? I generally wear shorts and a t-shirt.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I don't have an XD 40, but for larger pistols, you typically just need a more sturdy belt and a good holster to help carry and conceal it.

You should be able to get by wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but try not to wear anything fitted. If you can wear shirts that are 1 or 2 sizes larger that drape rather than cling, printing won't be much of a problem. Always have to watch out when bending over or reaching for objects higher up, though.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Start with a good gun belt and a good holster. If you don't have those, nothing else is going to matter.

On clothing, you'll have to find that out for yourself since what works for some may not work for another. Generally larger prints on shirts help conceal gun outlines, but that sort of attire isn't for everyone (especially me). Pants with some elastic (like 5.11s) give in the waist may help for comfort if you carry IWB, but I wouldn't bother looking at anything until you have a carry rig that you are happy with so you can build off that.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    It can be done. I'd suggest going 1 size larger on the shirts you wear and darker colors for the. The majority of your gun is the barrel, if your carrying IWB it is going to be inside your pants and out of sight.

The main thing you need to do is get a good rig for it. Many people spend big bucks on their gun, then try to skimp on their holster and gun belt. They are as important, if not more so, as the gun you carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I carry a 45XD service model in a croeebreed and it's with me 24/7

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My EDC is a XD40 SC with a 12 round mag in a Galco King Tuk and on occasion I carry a XD40 5" Tactical in a Crossbreed Super Tuck. I am 5'10" about 160 lbs., wear Docker pants and Tommy Bahama shirts the majority of the time and never a problem concealing either. The name of the game is a good holster, good belt and a loose untucked shirt.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Links