Indianapolis Motor Speedway

This is a discussion on Indianapolis Motor Speedway within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Compliance with all local, state, and federal laws is required. Weapons, including firearms and ammunition, of any kind are not permitted (unless in the possession ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By RightsEroding
  • 3 Post By RightsEroding

Thread: Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Compliance with all local, state, and federal laws is required. Weapons, including firearms and ammunition, of any kind are not permitted (unless in the possession of a duly authorized law enforcement officer). Fireworks and flares are not allowed.
    Spectator Regulations - Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Had a great conversation with a Capt of the city of Speedway. For you novices, (heh-heh) the Indy 500 is not held in Indianapolis, the track is located in Speedway,In.

Since state law pre-empts local ordinance as long as the local ordinance is not more restrictive than state law, one can indeed carry at the track w/o the possibility of criminal charges if detected with a hand gun. The police Capt of Speedway agreed. A spectator can be asked to leave; but that is as far as it will go unless one refuses; in which case a trespassing charge no doubt will ensue.

What is interesting and what prompted me to call the Speedway PD was a old ordinance that prohibited CC in the city of Speedway..so just to be sure I placed the call.
    The Capt indicated while the old ordinance is still on the books, it is NOT enforced. The ordinance is in process of being repealed.

So all of you heading to the track, CC w/o worry.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Do they wand you to enter? I've been to the 500 several times. Would be a pain to walk all that way, then go back to your car to store your gun.

It's been a while, but I don't recall them wanding me. But that was at least 10 years ago.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I do not think they wand, the only track I can remember which had extra security detail was California (either Fontana or Sonoma, I forget) with drug dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Do they wand you to enter? I've been to the 500 several times. Would be a pain to walk all that way, then go back to your car to store your gun.

It's been a while, but I don't recall them wanding me. But that was at least 10 years ago.
    No. You enter in your vehicle via a tunnel under the track. Pay your entry fee from your car and your off to the races..Pun intended.
    joker1 and Taurahe like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    No. You enter in your vehicle via a tunnel under the track. Pay your entry fee from your car and your off to the races..Pun intended.
    That's only if you are going into the infield. If you have seats in the stands, you enter through regular gates.

I wouldn't want to argue with the Chief of Police of Speedway, but the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is privately owned, and if they post the property, then you fall under any other private business that posts. While signs do not carry the force of law in Indiana, you must leave if asked, or you are trespassing.

From Gary Slider, at Handgunlaw.us

"No Firearm” signs in Indiana have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specificallymentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    That's only if you are going into the infield. If you have seats in the stands, you enter through regular gates.
    Only for race day.
    Time trials, carb day and practice are all general admission..pay one price and sit where ever you wish including any grand stand. Never saw a wand at the track in 30 years.

I'm all for Concealed Carry, but the last thing that I would want to do is fire a gun with that size of a crowd! Too many chances for collateral damage?
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    I'm all for Concealed Carry, but the last thing that I would want to do is fire a gun with that size of a crowd! Too many chances for collateral damage?
    Maybe you could hide behind a innocent if a whacko decides to cut loose.

If I thought as you do, I would never carry a weapon as there are usually people around..Like a school, a mall, a theater. Hmmm?
    Food for thought my friend.
    joker1, Taurahe and oldnfat like this.

I am expecting that they will have increased security after what happened in Boston.

Since I am flying in and I don't want to deal with the hassle of transporting my firearm, I've decided to go armed with only my brain (which my wife tells me is a very dangerous weapon).
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

The speedway is in my back yard and local agencies have been mum on specific security protocol this yeart, but expect to see far more uniformed officers as well as private security firms. I work part time for a local event security firm, and we are all hands on deck for the 500 and the Pacers game which will be on the same day. coolers will be a big issue at the track this year and size limits will be strictly enforced.....RTV6 - Safety officials tweaking their security plans to handle Indy 500 and NBA conference finals Sunday - Local Story

If anyone is coming to Indy for the race weekend and is interested in meeting up for a few beers, let me know. I know a couple nice little bars not far from the track !!! :)
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Here's an interesting question concerning events like this. If the event is not posted, or if it's a state where the sign doesn't matter and all they can do is ask you to leave if they see it, what about if they search you but don't find it. Case in point, a security guy asked me to remove my hat one time, and another time they were asking everyone to lift up their pant legs. If I lifted my pant leg up as requested, just below the ankle holster I was wearing, and the guy said OK, can I go in? If They never said no guns allowed, didn't say if they were looking for drugs, outside alcohol, or other contraband, could you assume that the gun was not what they were searching for?

In my experience with sporting events, trade shows, etc. they simply do not allow firearms.

OP is fortunate to have an exception to that expectation!

Consequently, in my state, I have cut WAY back on how many of those events I attend.

Links