Size of your CC weapon

Size of your CC weapon

This is a discussion on Size of your CC weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess as my first post, I'll try to make it a good one. I'm wondering what size handgun you all carry for a CC ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Size of your CC weapon

Size of your CC weapon

I guess as my first post, I'll try to make it a good one. I'm wondering what size handgun you all carry for a CC (ammo, pistol size, etc)

I do not have my CCW yet but am in the process out here in San Bernardino county. I'm personally going to be registering my S&W MP40 full size as my weapon. I've heard some negative things about this choice and some good things about this choice. I was wondering what you all carry around?

Oh, I'm Kyle by the way
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    First off welcome to the forum.

You should carry whatever you can comfortably conceal and shoot well. If you can't shoot it you shouldnt be carrying it. And if you are not comfortable carrying it you probably won't carry all of the time. Everyone has different limits of what they can carry, just takes some experimenting.

Happy shooting.
    miller_man, USM1976 and Zeebra724 like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Welcome

I've got a Glock 19, but I've been carrying my 5" 1911 around almost exclusively for the past few months.

Just get a good belt with a good holster. I like pants with more belt loops, as well.

Varies between a 9mm compact and a full size .45 acp 1911, depending on dress and/or situation. I concur with finding one you are comfortable with, and get lots of practice with. Carrying is a big responsibility, and with it comes a lot of preparation and forethought. Good luck on your choice, whatever it may be.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I never leave home without my glocky19 on me.

CSL
    Welcome! I usually carry my full size SR9. A hybrid holster makes it comfortable and concealable under most t-shirts.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

Welcome to the Forum! Good caliber choice in my opinion. Good luck in San Bernadino county. We have a son currently stationed at Twentynine Palms. Heading out to meet him in San Diego soon. We did Vegas last time. We don't seem to remain in "the Stumps" when we're there.

My main carry handguns are, from smallest to largest: a Colt Detective Special snub .38 Special, a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special, and a .45 ACP Colt Government Model.

Not in favor of many of the stunted models marketed these days.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    I have tried everything from duty sized semi autos and revolvers to NAA mini revolvers. I have bought over 30 handguns just in the last 3 years and been buying guns for 4 decades. I tried all the popular holsters and styles. Got 5 good quality gun belts. This year I made peace with the fact that for someone like me that lives in a retirement community and rarely leaves its borders, a pocket gun is the way to go. Life is too short to live it uncomfortable and if I thought I needed more I would move. In fact, I moved here so I did not have to carry a big gun with a lot of ammo. :) I am not talking about small calibers either. I carry a .357 magnum, 9mm and .45 ACP in my pocket. Both the 9mm and .45 can hold 7 +1 rounds with the extended magazines I have. I also have bigger guns that hold up to 17 rounds but most times when I go out it is to shop and I am on my feet the whole time. On those occasions when I am going to be sitting down most of the time, like dining out, I will carry one of my pocket guns on my belt. Works for me and I am never inconvenienced or uncomfortable carrying my guns and therefore I always carry a gun. Some guys will say they always carry their big guns but what they really mean is that they only carry them when they feel the need and not really all the time. I know a lot of those type around here. They make fun of my small guns but never seem to have theirs on them for one reason or other.

In my over 60 years, both as a combat vet and civilian, I have come to believe that shot placement and penetration are the two most important things you want from a gun. These days there is really very little difference between a 9mm, .40 and .45. I have posted the ballistic gel test of them side by side before and they all can penetrate deeply enough through barriers and expand. What we are left debating is fractions of an inch difference and in some cases, the smaller calibers out perform the larger ones depending on ammo choices. The only civilian I personally witnessed being shot was stopped in his tracks by a belly shot from a .22 lr out of a Saturday Night Special. Handguns are poor stoppers and yet we debate which is the best of the worse all the time.

My recommendation is to stick with .380 and above and use the largest caliber you can shoot well. I also advise that a big gun ends up staying home more and more once the novelty of carrying it wears off and you go a year or two never having to need it. But most do not listen and end up with several guns and eventually drift to pocket guns. My hat is off to those who can lug around a 1911 every day. I can but I choose not to as no matter what belt and holster I use, it still is a big chunk of metal hanging from my waist every day and my back can no longer handle that. If you are young, go at it while you can. :) A .22, especially a .22 mag with the new ammo out for it can penetrate more than the larger calibers and if it is placed the same as a larger caliber, will have similar results. A .22 mag to the brain will stop someone the same as a .45 will and do it neater too. :) However, I just do not trust rim fire ammo having competed with .22 rifles for a few years and giving up on them due to the many jams no matter what ammo I used. Sure many guns and ammo are flawless at the range but when you put them to hard use you start seeing the warts.

Choose wisely when you get your ccw permit. Guns are uncomfortable and people are stopped and killed with all kinds of calibers. The best weapon you can have is the right mindset and the drive to prevail in an encounter. The majority of ccw permit holders that I personally know do not carry their guns all the time. They only carry them when they are fearful of the place they are going. The funny thing is that most times you are safer when you are fearful because you are more alert. It is when you are in comfortable surroundings that you have to worry. At least that was the case with me. I was lax at work and near my home and that is when trouble found me.

gel.jpg
    DetChris and Christopher67 like this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I carry a Medium sized 32 auto. Its the smallest gun I can shoot well. I can shoot the full sized guns just fine but I want a gun that will always be with me. With the full sized guns I couldn't wait to get home and take it off. and Ive had several hand and wrist injury's so I can't grip a sub compact well enough to shoot it well. My gun is small enough to pocket carry if I choose pants with big pockets or it will disappear in an IWB holster. If I were buying a new gun Id have picked a 380 in the same gun size, But I already had these two in 32. DR

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! Good caliber choice in my opinion. Good luck in San Bernadino county. We have a son currently stationed at Twentynine Palms. Heading out to meet him in San Diego soon. We did Vegas last time. We don't seem to remain in "the Stumps" when we're there.

My main carry handguns are, from smallest to largest: a Colt Detective Special snub .38 Special, a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special, and a .45 ACP Colt Government Model.

Not in favor of many of the stunted models marketed these days.
    Haha most of us try to get out of the stumps as often as we can!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house. I find that the Shield 9 is a great carry firearm. Accurate, reliable, and all in a compact package. I go with 135gr...plenty of stopping power.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Most often I CC my Ruger SR9C and mid size double stack With the 10 round mag I don't need the 17. However At times I may go smaller and CC the 38 or LC9.
    Open carry Ruger P89DC, Para Double stack 45 of 357 just a madder of why I am carrying,dress and level of threat
    Hard to beat a S&W MP and nothing wrong with a 40. If it fits you. Try it out you may find down the road more than one is in order.
    Carry what you have for a while 6 months a year down the road you are going to see CC in a different light, you will have a much better picture of what works/does not for you by then.
    When the only legal way we could carry here was open carry I never though I would carry anything other than a .45

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Most often I CC my Ruger SR9C and mid size double stack With the 10 round mag I don't need the 17. However At times I may go smaller and CC the 38 or LC9.
    Open carry Ruger P89DC, Para Double stack 45 of 357 just a madder of why I am carrying,dress and level of threat
    Hard to beat a S&W MP and nothing wrong with a 40. If it fits you. Try it out you may find down the road more than one is in order.
    Carry what you have for a while 6 months a year down the road you are going to see CC in a different light, you will have a much better picture of what works/does not for you by then.
    When the only legal way we could carry here was open carry I never though I would carry anything other than a .45
    I by all means love my MP and have a blast shooting it at the range, open carrying it around the property and oddly enough have no issues carrying it around the house in a "concealed" state I think due to my size. 6'1" and 210 lbs I feel kinda gives me a little extra room. Plus, the MP carries didnt fit in my hand well enough to warrant a purchase for me. Bottom of the magazine well sat in line with my ring finger

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links