Carry at work off the clock?

This is a discussion on Carry at work off the clock? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a small-medium sized corporation that has a number of brick & mortar retail sites throughout the state. On my days off I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Carry at work off the clock?

Carry at work off the clock?

I work for a small-medium sized corporation that has a number of brick & mortar retail sites throughout the state. On my days off I sometimes find myself heading over to one of these stores for odds and ends (I work at HQ, not the stores). The company bans employees from carrying firearms on company property, however there are no "No Guns" signs at any of the retail stores. Further, I know that most of these stores have had open carry people walk in, and no one bats an eye (employees, store manager, district manager, nor anyone at HQ when they hear about it).

So if I'm off the clock and at one of these locations, would I still not be able to carry?

2. Remove Ads

oy ve'...... questions about workplace carry are always better directed at the company involved, not strangers on a forum. That said, I would think that once off the clock you are a customer so I dont see how they can have much say in the matter.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

IMHO what you do on your own time is your own business as long as you are not violating ant laws.You claim you go there to do "Odds and Ends" the question is does your employer consider you working at that time?If you are a salaried employee and you are involved in doing anything other than being a consumer at one of their outlets then IMHO you are working and are subject to company policy
    TurboTurtle and gooseman1991 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Agree with Duk. Salary can make a difference. Kick it across the desks of your HR/Legal resources, and save their response.

VIP Member
    It would depend on how the company views it. My guess is if you are there doing company business, you will be expected to follow company policy.
    OldVet likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
    The company bans employees from carrying firearms on company property ...

So if I'm off the clock and at one of these locations, would I still not be able to carry?
    What do you think your company officers would say if you waltzed into a spot, you were seen by one of them, then asked about it? I'd think there's your answer. Can't see how your continued employment with them wouldn't be at any less risk of termination off-clock, unless they specifically state that's so. Short of asking them if off-clock carry is acceptable, I'd say you've got to presume it's just as verboten off-clock as on.

IOW: You're an employee and the employee manual and policies cover you as an employee. Doesn't really matter whether it's 2am, 3pm, a work day or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

How do you know the company bans employees from carrying in company property?

Unfortunately some companies ban employees from protecting themselves. Alas, they check your background before hiring you to make sure you are a good guy and then they disarm you. Makes no sense. In my book they should be liable for the security of everyone they disarm.
    Aceoky likes this.

... The company bans employees from carrying firearms on company property, however there are no "No Guns" signs at any of the retail stores. Further, I know that most of these stores have had open carry people walk in, and no one bats an eye (employees, store manager, district manager, nor anyone at HQ when they hear about it). So if I'm off the clock and at one of these locations, would I still not be able to carry?
    If your company has a "no firearms" policy in their manual, it applies to every employee at every location the company has.

Like Duke says, above, as long as you are performing no employer related activities, then you are probably good to go, while in the establishment. If, however, you announce your presence, especially saying you are from HQ, you are subject to any and all requirements in your employee handbook.

Most importantly, once you bring up this issue to your HR Department, they will go to Operations, and I bet you will soon see your retail locations posted with "No Guns" signs. Especially since it is already Company Policy for employees.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    IMHO what you do on your own time is your own business as long as you are not violating ant laws.You claim you go there to do "Odds and Ends" the question is does your employer consider you working at that time?If you are a salaried employee and you are involved in doing anything other than being a consumer at one of their outlets then IMHO you are working and are subject to company policy
    Sorry, worded that poorly. I go there to pick up odds and ends. IE, not doing anything company related, just buying stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerista View Post
    How do you know the company bans employees from carrying in company property?
    OP indicated they did ...

The company bans employees from carrying firearms on company property ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I work for a small-medium sized corporation that has a number of brick & mortar retail sites throughout the state. On my days off I sometimes find myself heading over to one of these stores for odds and ends (I work at HQ, not the stores). The company bans employees from carrying firearms on company property, however there are no "No Guns" signs at any of the retail stores. Further, I know that most of these stores have had open carry people walk in, and no one bats an eye (employees, store manager, district manager, nor anyone at HQ when they hear about it).

Depends on who you ask. Personally, I never ask anybody.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    OP indicated they did ...
    My question was to the OP. Was the ban in the employee handbook, or orientation?

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    IANAL, but I would think that you would be still be subject to the company policy. I would check with HR in writing (email) because I would want a CYA response in writing.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by rugerista View Post
    My question was to the OP. Was the ban in the employee handbook, or orientation?
    Employee handbook.

Specifically, here:

prohibits all persons who enter company property from carrying a handgun, firearm, knife, or other prohibited weapon of any kind regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not.

The only exception to this policy will be police officers, security guards or other persons who have been given written consent by company. to carry a weapon on the property.

Any employee disregarding this policy will be subject to immediate termination.

Like I said though, no gun-buster signs on any store - and in the event a customer walks in and OCs, no one in management says anything.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    "prohibits all persons who enter company property from carrying a handgun" I think that says it all. The stores are company property. You put your employment at risk if you do it. Your choice.
    ccw9mm, .45acpguy and Aceoky like this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links