A tactical handgun training class and after thoughts

This is a discussion on A tactical handgun training class and after thoughts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Monday I drove to Aubry, Texas for a 4 hour tactical handgun training class. My instructor Tate was a retired US Navy EOD officer and ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By Texaszed4mc
  • 7 Post By glockman10mm
  • 4 Post By TX expat
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog

Thread: A tactical handgun training class and after thoughts

Monday I drove to Aubry, Texas for a 4 hour tactical handgun training class. My instructor Tate was a retired US Navy EOD officer and even passed buds training. To say impressive is an understatement. After the 4 hours and many many drills and run & gun situations I was far better with my pistol than I thought possible. I was able to do a .71 draw from holster in a ready position, hit a stanard milk bottle steal target at 100 yards consistantly, and multiple magazine changes while engaging 9 targets. The money was so well spent. I left knowing I can defend myself and family very confidently. It was even suggested I look into the private security business after my retirement next year. All of this with a Springfield XD sub-compact. 40 ca. But also wondering how much better I could have done with a full size gun. So now the search for a Sig Sauer p226 begins, maybe I'll make the Sig my everyday carry gun! I highly suggest everyone to take the time and spend the money taking one of these classes!
    GSDSchutzhund and GlassWolf like this.

Congrats.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

That was not a training class, it was a religious experience. A true miracle to draw and hit a milk jug style target at 100 yards in .71 seconds! All in a 4 hour class!
    Ghost1958, TX expat, JD and 4 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    That was not a training class, it was a religious experience. A true miracle to draw and hit a milk jug style target at 100 yards in .71 seconds! All in a 4 hour class!
    I'd agree, hitting a dairy cow at 100 yards in .71 wouldn't be exactly easy!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I wonder how much time was left to work on more realistic defensive work, like CQ shooting, point shooting, and other drills that lend themselves to a wide array of common defensive scenarios?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Your class sounds awesome! I was going to do a series of 5 classes at a local training academy...wife was going to make it my Xmas present...I was stoked! Wend to sign up for it, but they jacked the price up $125 bucks at the start of the new year...so bummed. It had to wait. Someday, though, it will happen. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Good job have taken several over the years enjoyed all first on one was 19-- in ----- ------- which on the job training

Clarify something the draw and 100 yard shot were seperate events I was please just hit anything at 100 yards

What was the name of the organization in Aubry, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks

Distinguished Member
    Great shooting! Sure do wish we would have some classes where I live, nothing but cwp classes, past that you have to pick it up from strangers at the range and hope they know what they are talking about.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaszed4mc View Post
    Clarify something the draw and 100 yard shot were seperate events I was please just hit anything at 100 yards
    That makes more sense :) A .71 draw is certainly achievable, as are hits at 100 yards. From concealment, that time would be very impressive. You wouldn't think simply moving clothing out of the way takes long, but it adds at least .2 sec. My draw from concealment, including and accurate shot is around 1.3 seconds. Average at best.

The company is Big Boar Tactical, most classes like I took are one on one sessions.

I wish they were a closer to me!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Awesome Tex, thanks for the info looked them up and their offerings look great...Think i will make my way south for some solid training.

Distinguished Member
    Love to see someone take training courses but think about what you did. You drew and fired your gun against static objects with no life and death stress, no bullets being shot at you and with all the targets in front of you. Now consider that in a real life situation the bad guys are not always in front of you standing still and you will have to dodge bullets while fighting back. Very different. Also keep in mind that number of hours most people who carry a gun for a living train. It is a lot more than 4 and many of them are not really that well trained afterwards. I do security training and ran a training company for a few years and know when someone is on a training high. You can learn to disarm someone with a knife in an hour or two but try using what you learned and mastered in the classroom on the street when you are not expecting it and are in fear of your life. It is not the same so all I am saying is to keep that in mind.

Not trying to rain on your parade and I applaud you for taking training as 99% of gun owners do not. I am afraid to be around civilians carrying guns due to this. I know that most have never even practiced drawing and firing and some have not even fired the guns they carry. So what you did is great. You got some confidence in your ability and learned a few things but self defense with a gun is very dynamic and much different outside of the limitations of a training course.

I would suggest that you also get some training in shooting from a car. So many never practice that and most cannot do it the first time. The seatbelt prevents a fast draw and the steering wheel gets in the way, etc.. Keep it up but keep it realistic and know the limitations of your training. I learned that once I got to Vietnam. The real thing is nothing like your training. :)
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no reason to give one. It is a given that each opinion is believed to be correct. It would be silly to post something you believed to be incorrect. :)

Links