Carry in the military

Carry in the military

This is a discussion on Carry in the military within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most (and often all) of my day is spent on duty and/or in uniform. Carry is of course prohibited in my office and in the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry in the military

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Carry in the military

Most (and often all) of my day is spent on duty and/or in uniform. Carry is of course prohibited in my office and in the company car.

Do any of you veterans or current service members have experience with carrying on duty, or off duty while in uniform?

So far the only information I have been able to find is Article 134 of the UCMJ which prohibits carrying if it is "unlawful", and a regulation that allows for it in an official capacity.

Do I need to change clothes before leaving work?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Most (and often all) of my day is spent on duty and/or in uniform. Carry is of course prohibited in my office and in the company car.
    UNLESS you are authorized to carry on the military installation, it is a no-no. If you are pulled over and searched and the base police finds a weapon. You can bet you have some explaining to do, especially after 9/11. They will be all over you like green on grass, in one form or another.
    If you live off base, its best to leave it at home, and carry off base only.
    -------
    I don't know about you, but if I went off base in my working dungaree blues, there was a most excellent chance of being followed by the SP's and being written up on report if I had to exit my vehicle for any other reason except my arrival home.
    I believe its different in the army,marines, and air force.
    So its your call...
    Last edited by artz; November 17th, 2006 at 09:18 AM.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    On a military base, UNLESS you are authorized to carry on the military installation, it is a no-no. If you are pulled over and searched and the base police finds a weapon. You can bet you have some explaining to do, especially after 9/11. They will be all over you like green on grass, in one form or another.
    If you live off base, its best to leave it at home, and carry off base only.
    +1 on this. My buddy and I almost went to the brig once for having airsoft guns. They wanted us to check them into the armory. Which was beyond ridiculous.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'm active duty in the Army Reserve. The nearest installation is 150 miles away. I work in a reserve center that is federal property.

My idea is to carry to and from work, and on lunch breaks.

I remember partaking in "health and welfare" inspections to confiscate airsoft guns, knives, and this one kid had nunchucks and a scythe. Very disturbing day.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    I work in a reserve center that is federal property.
    don't get caught with one in your post office either. Most folks don't think about that...

You also stated.... "My idea is to carry to and from work, and on lunch breaks".

Too much trouble on a daily basis. I'd leave it at home and carry a nice size fighting folding knife instead. But you gotta be careful there too.
    Last edited by artz; November 17th, 2006 at 09:40 AM.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

FWIW I've been ADSW in the MSARNG for almost a year and work with a lot of AGR guys. Almost everyone I know has a firearm in their vehicle. Actually the only guy I know that doesn't have one is a cop when not on orders and we rag him pretty good about it.

I still can't give you a good answer on the actual regulations as far as carrying in uniform after work. I usually (reluctantly) leave mine in the car while in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    I still can't give you a good answer on the actual regulations as far as carrying in uniform after work. I usually (reluctantly) leave mine in the car while in uniform.
    FWIW ignorance will get you busted. Your playing with fire carrying on base, in uniform, and stowing it in your vehicle on base unless you are authorized.
    The UCMJ is the UCMJ. It doesn't discriminate and its alot more powerful than the civil court system. What can get you 2 weeks in the pokey out in town, can get you 10 to 20 years of hard time in a federal facility.
    Be careful... I hate to see a well-intentioned military member in big trouble...

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    My buddy and I almost went to the brig once for having airsoft guns.
    They are the same way with paintball guns. They wanted us to keep them in the armory, but I kept mine in my wall locker. For the health and comfort inspections, I'd move it to the trunk of my car. When the inspection was over, I brought it back. There was a paintball field on base, and it seemed less of a hassle (both for me and the armorer) to keep it in my wall locker. I also had a Glock 21, but I kept that at a married friends house out in town. I wouldn't dare bring that on base.

I'm confused...why does the military of all things care about carrying on base? Sure, you could use to to enter places you shouldn't be, but it wouldn't be hard to sneak one in for that purpose, so the best defense would seem to be everyone else having firearms.

Seems mighty strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    I'm confused...why does the military of all things care about carrying on base? Sure, you could use to to enter places you shouldn't be, but it wouldn't be hard to sneak one in for that purpose, so the best defense would seem to be everyone else having firearms.

You're preaching to the choir. I guess Mothers of America can't stand the idea of troops actually have guns...
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

It is... in a way.
    But military installations that most civilians see are the administration side, where there is homes, shopping,churches, schools, just like any hometown USA. Its laws are stricter, and they are serious on the enforcement of its laws and protecting its property and people.
    The working side of the base like an airfield or soldiers, marines out in the field, can be different but not always.
    A minor offense in town can be devastating if caught on a military installation. Most times, its a double edged sword. Example---The OIC that day calls the city police to request any information (from the police log) on any arrests of military members. Info is given, LEGAL is informed (or yet worse, the military police goes to receive you at the jail when you are released to put you in the brig), and a captains mast or courts martial is quickly underway. You are guilty until you prove your innocence.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I'm confused...why does the military of all things care about carrying on base?
    Regardless of what the military thinks, Kansas law specifically prohibits it. Military installation commanders set the base policies, and they are not elected. One in Alaska has gone so far as to prohibit his soldiers from carrying at all. We have antis in the Army too. If it were my call, every soldier would be issued and packing an M9 24/7. But I am but a lowly enlisted man.

Most installations require firearm registration, and my inteded carry weapon is not at the closest post (the one I visit most often). Fortunately most days, I only have to walk 75 yards to get out of the unarmed victim zone.

My first assumption was that I could not carry at in unform. My research thus far yeilded nothing definative. I have no intention of doing so until I have a definative answer.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Back in my day the military wasn’t to concerned about members carrying weapons, but it was very concerned about them being issued weapons. It is, or at least was, illegal for the military to use personally owned weapons and ammo. International law is very strict on what can and can not be used by the military. Since the active duty member is “on duty” 24 x 365 except when on leave that leaves not much time for a military member to carry. It all comes down to a liability issue that is even more heavily restrictive that most anti companies have.

With that said, it depended on the unit. I actually had a loaded Browning Hi-power in my wall locker and they were very careful not to find it during inspections. When we jumped into Grenada back in the early 80’s we had one guy who bent his M-16 when he came down and somebody gave him their 9mm to use until he could “pick something up”, as I recall it was a S&W. in that particular unit about 85% of us had something in our room and lo and behold nothing ever came up during inspections.

All depends on who your base and company commanders are and what they are willing to overlook. Personally, I would not take the chance now, but I am a lot older that I was 25 years ago with a lot less hair (longer, but still less) and a lot has change since then.

Whatever you decide, good luck...

Ok here is my take on it.....
    keep in mind I am a spouse of a AGR Army soldier...
    AGR soldiers are seldom close to a real instalation and most times live in just any neighborhood....so don't confuse it with working and traveling on Base/Post and living there.....
    As mentioned before... carry is not allowed on any military instalation... however some have different rules than others..... I for instance can have all my guns at home... however need to keep gun and ammo locked up seperate and not within reach while driving on base..... all the guns are registered with Base SP .. just in case they ever get called to the house so they know what's going to hit them ..... that's what I was told by the SP Comander....

As to carry in uniform while traveling from and to work.... I think there is a easy solution to your question...... call any JAG officer and have him tell you the scoop on it.... should be easy enough and free of charge....
    My take is.... you can carry in uniform as long as you are not on Duty....... not in Duty vehicle or any government property.... but that would by just my take on it ..... call the Jag office...

I've been considering writing a memorandum for my commander, to recommend and exception to policy to allow us to carry in the performance of our duties.
    As a career counselor, I have to find soldiers in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve, soldiers with no duty requirement but must be available for call up) and convince them to come into a drilling reserve status. Many of these guys don't have fond memories of the Army, and I have concern that I might become the target of their displeasure. Otherwise, I go to mom and dad's house and they weren't too happy that the Army stole junior away like gypsies in the night (that's what we do these days, just ask San Fransisco). Also, I'm in rural KS; there are plenty of large angry dogs guarding the farm houses I visit. One of my fellow career counselors relays a story of being trapped on top of his government car (a Malibu) by such a dog.

Probably nothing would come of it, but I can always ask.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links