I am looking for a CCW recommendation

This is a discussion on I am looking for a CCW recommendation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got rid of a Ruger LCP which was simply too small for my large hands to operate comfortably or securely. I would like ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I am looking for a CCW recommendation

I just got rid of a Ruger LCP which was simply too small for my large hands to operate comfortably or securely. I would like some recommendations for a compact 9mm with the only proviso being some sort of external safety, thumb or grip. That rules out another Glock and a few others, but I know there are several models out there that would fill the bill. I would like to hear your experiences.

I went with a Taurus 24/7 G2 compact. Thumb and trigger safeties, and all the controls are ambidextrous.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    You are going to have to make a trip to the gun shop. Only you know what your hands like. Pick a couple you like and come back for opinions.
    Good Luck!
    USM1976 and atctimmy like this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    You are going to have to make a trip to the gun shop. Only you know what your hands like. Pick a couple you like and come back for opinions.
    Good Luck!
    I agree with this, and I'd be sure to pick up a Sig P-938 while I was there. Happy hunting
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Bersa thunder 9mm UC....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

CSG
    I was also going to suggest taking a look at the Sig 938. Still might be too small though. Maybe move up to something like a compact 1911 in .45. They don't have the same issues as the micro 1911's.

Try sig 938, or S&W Shield

Distinguished Member
    I never ask strangers who do not know anything about me for gun recommendations nor do I ask questions asked hundreds of thousands of times before. :) All you are going to do is get the recommendation of what is good for the people responding and end up with a gun you will trade or sell for a loss. I think if you Google your question you will get a few hundred thousand responses covering every gun out there. I doubt that those of us in this forum are more psychic than others. :)

If you want to stick with a small pocket gun that you can get your whole hand on try a Sig P938 with the extended magazine. That is what I carry. If that is out of your price range, since you did not mention price, wait for the new Springfield XDs in 9mm with the extended magazine and grip. There is also the M&P Shield, Kahr CM9, LC9, Sig P239 and my personal favorite, the HK P2000SK with extended magazine and grip. I am sure you know all this from your Google search already.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

S+W Shield, Kimber Solo, Ruger SR9c, Springfield XD subcompact, and Springfield EMP... just a few to start with.

If you can get past your absolute need for a manual safety, I'd add Kahr P9/CW9 to the list.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I would suggest CZ-75 or CZ SP-01 or maybe a CZ Compact
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

beretta px4 storm sc in either .40 or 9mm. 13+1 in 9mm, DA/SA with decocker/safety. chunky but very concealable, fills the hand nicely, low recoil.
    darbo likes this.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Don't own one but looking seriously at a Ruger SR9C. Probably too big for pocket carry, but small with good features at a great price.

S&W Shield in either 9mm or .40... Colt Defender in either 9mm or, better yet, .45 acp

Colt 1911...why not!?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I second the PX4, thats what I carry (In Compact 9mm) but I personally dont like the sub compact its too small for me and I don't even have very large hands. With the compact you get 2 extra rounds in the mag, a larger size, and the rotating barrel design (which the sub compact also does NOT have). Fully loaded it is 2 lbs, and kinda thick but I have 100% ZERO issues concealing it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links