Police and Roadside Stops(Common Sense)

This is a discussion on Police and Roadside Stops(Common Sense) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having been a truck driver and have a brother-in-law who is a retired police captain. I have adopted some practical experience when dealing with police. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Police and Roadside Stops(Common Sense)

Police and Roadside Stops(Common Sense)

Having been a truck driver and have a brother-in-law who is a retired police captain. I have adopted some practical experience when dealing with police. Especially at night. When ever possible I opt to go into a shopping center parking lot or a gas station. If not easy to get to one I opt for under a street light. I turn on all my inside dome lights put on flashers and turn the engine completely off. I roll down the window about 4-6 inches and keep my hands on top of the steering wheel. remember never take off seat belt till officer instructs you to exit vehicle. As far as CC goes this advice in the video is very good. In Texas it is mandatory to inform the officer that you have a CHL, and that you are carrying it at the moment.
    Secret Spuk, Tzadik and Keith44 like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post

Having been a truck driver and have a brother-in-law who is a retired police captain. I have adopted some practical experience when dealing with police. Especially at night. When ever possible I opt to go into a shopping center parking lot or a gas station. If not easy to get to one I opt for under a street light. I turn on all my inside dome lights put on flashers and turn the engine completely off. I roll down the window about 4-6 inches and keep my hands on top of the steering wheel. remember never take off seat belt till officer instructs you to exit vehicle. As far as CC goes this advice in the video is very good. In Texas it is mandatory to inform the officer that you have a CHL, and that you are carrying it at the moment.
    Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?
    “YES”
    Sec. 411.205.
    Requirement to Display License.

If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
    Display or permit is not required until the request for identification is made.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

...if an LEO doesn't ask for your ID, there is no requirement in TX to notify...
    ...there is no requirement to notify them that you're carrying a gun...just hand them your permit and they choose whether to ask if you're carrying or not at that time...some don't even ask...

...no need to choose "safe" words...just hand them your CHL when you hand them your ID/DL...and you've complied...
    Kennydale likes this.

I remember this video. Now, this is a real touchy one. In my state we do not have the requirement to notify the officer and they do not have the right to demand or see our permit unless they have a real reason to do so. Obviously if you broke the law speeding or DUI they have some legal ability to take it farther. They can ask for ID and you have to comply in a traffic stop but not just walking around the streets. You dont have to volunteer your permit or knowledge of your carry.

In general I never ever in a million years want an officer to remove my weapon at anytime. Far too often, even on youtube, you see officers sweeping the back or body of the citizen with their own loaded firearm or other completely unsafe actions. I can see how this may fit in some states but in places where people's gun rights are less restricted and more free this is not how it works. Not many criminals have all their papers ready and dome light on so I think the other advice the OP posted is solid. In Georgia you DO NOT hand the officer your permit with your license either.

Again, here when you get pulled over you treat like ANY normal traffic stop and the carry gun doesn't even come into the conversation unless you've really been breaking the law pretty bad. Running a red light or 5 over the speed limit and you should just treat it the same as not having a gun. We also have NO restriction on how you carry here, and you are free to have a loaded gun anywhere in your vehicle at all times. I also dont use the GUN word. I use the sidearm word. And yes you can take off your seat belt LONG before the officer comes to the window here to facilitate getting your papers out before they walk up, so you have hands on wheel and papers ready when he comes up. Permit still in wallet with it sitting on top of the dash just in case. My hands never go below the top of the steering wheel. I've been stopped a number of times carrying. Once I forgot to put my tag sticker on. He let me get out and stick it on and go free. As I got out my 357 LCR was exposed and he didn't even say a word or bat an eye.

If you are fighting for your rights in a more free state like Ga you MUST adhere to these rules and resist officers in public and traffic stops from asking for your ID, permit and accessing your gun according to the situation and details. We only give them what is legal here because we are taken advantage of otherwise. Over several years the abundance of informed carriers has forced all the law enforcement agencies in Ga to begin educating themselves city by city but I am saying 5 years ago it was a whole different scene. COps will abuse and bend your rights to suit their habits if you let them. You really do have to push back calmly, politely and legally. It's not being a protestor either. And it's slowly sinking in that open carry is not a bad thing either. As guns become more normal everyone is slowly treating a gun toter as a non event. I hate when cops treat every carry citizen as if they have a grenade launcher on their belt.

Having a firearm on us does not make us special.... Nor does it make a special event.

...I believe in the law...it regulates the citizen's behaviour, and the officer's...and both have full benefit of the law...

...I don't believe in lying, even where there's no need to notify imposed by law...but there are times I just don't bring it up...
    Kennydale likes this.

There is also a way to avoid this all together. Obey the traffic laws and don't get stopped.
    Tangochuck likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    There is also a way to avoid this all together. Obey the traffic laws and don't get stopped.
    Since you have had your permit, have you ever 1) run over the speed limit 2) had a tail light/head light burn out 3) been involved in an accident even if it wasn't your fault 4)been pulled over even when you didn't do anything wrong? All of these might get LEO interaction.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Display or permit is not required until the request for identification is made.
    Depends on the state. In OH, notification is not option and must be immediately. OH courts have ruled that just handing the permit to the cop may not be adequate. You have to say it. I would avoid "gun" and say something like - Officer, I have a permit to carry. I am carrying and it is at 3:30 on my belt. Notice "gun" and "weapon" is not used in this approach.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Since you have had your permit, have you ever 1) run over the speed limit 2) had a tail light/head light burn out 3) been involved in an accident even if it wasn't your fault 4)been pulled over even when you didn't do anything wrong? All of these might get LEO interaction.
    Or have been driving a vehicle that may loosely resemble one that police might be looking for... This has happened to me about 20 years ago.
    Felony stop 200 feet from my dads driveway one night. I was yanked out of the car by three cops. All with guns out, two with shotguns, all demanding "WHERE"S THE GUN?!?!?". Then they started looking all over inside the car and under the seats before even asking me for ID or telling me why I was being stopped. It wouldn't have been a legal search if I had been a criminal, but would it have mattered?

Wow, who would have figured there would be more than one 'gold colored Toyota Corolla' in the area.

This was long before Wisconsin had legal concealed carry, so thankfully I wasn't armed at the time (though there were two unloaded 1911's in a range bag locked in the trunk).
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Depends on the state. In OH, notification is not option and must be immediately. OH courts have ruled that just handing the permit to the cop may not be adequate. You have to say it. I would avoid "gun" and say something like - Officer, I have a permit to carry. I am carrying and it is at 3:30 on my belt. Notice "gun" and "weapon" is not used in this approach.
    Same in Michigan.

Funny story - a new CPL holder was asking a group of us about how best to deal with the mandatory notification. He said, "So, I should just say something like, 'Hello Officer, I have a gun. Where would you like it?'"

Most of the group started laughing. Two of the group were retired LEO's and didn't find it funny at all. Once the rest of us stopped laughing, we explained why that probably wasn't the best choice of wording.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    What about them checkpoints you don't expect.

And I say, best thing to do is turn on your interior light (if at night), roll down your windows, put your hands on the wheel, keep your mouth shut and follow all directions in a polite manner. (And if required in your state, volunteer the info that you have a permit or a gun.)

If it's not required, though, I won't volunteer that info because here's a scenario that can play out: you tell the LEO that you have a gun and happen to be unlucky enough to encounter one that's a d-bag and looking to abuse his / her power and will reply to you with, "did I ask you for that info?" - then everything turns south from there...
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Non of the above. Only DUI checkpoints
    Tangochuck likes this.
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionZero View Post
    What about them checkpoints you don't expect.

And I say, best thing to do is turn on your interior light (if at night), roll down your windows, put your hands on the wheel, keep your mouth shut and follow all directions in a polite manner. (And if required in your state, volunteer the info that you have a permit or a gun.)

If it's not required, though, I won't volunteer that info because here's a scenario that can play out: you tell the LEO that you have a gun and happen to be unlucky enough to encounter one that's a d-bag and looking to abuse his / her power and will reply to you with, "did I ask you for that info?" - then everything turns south from their...

No, this is sound advice. I'm just saying you can cut your chances of a LEO encounter if you just obey the rules of the road.

After all, we are law abiding citizens. Right?

As for the d bag cops, I haven't encountered one yet. Some where stiff and didn't have a sense of humor, but I wouldn't describe then as D bags.

I've been driving defensively for 30 yrs. without a single ticket. I'm sure I've violated a few traffic laws in that time, but I make a conscious effort to not do so.

So far, it's paid off.
    DaveH and Tangochuck like this.
    -Tony Soprano

This situation terrifies me as the cops in my area think they are Rambo. We have one trooper who has shot 2 people for no reason and deployed a taser on a 20 year old 100lb girl who fell and hit her head and now is in a vegetative state, Trooper Daniel Cole :google . I haven't been pulled over in a few years and I absolutely dread the thought of getting pulled over armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    This situation terrifies me as the cops in my area think they are Rambo. We have one trooper who has shot 2 people for no reason and deployed a taser on a 20 year old 100lb girl who fell and hit her head and now is in a vegetative state, Trooper Daniel Cole :google . I haven't been pulled over in a few years and I absolutely dread the thought of getting pulled over armed.
    I'm confused as to why the video cleared him of wrong doing. In the video, you can clearly see he was close enough to just grab her by the arm. She was definitely not outrunning him like he claims. This is the exact reason why you have to expect the worse when interacting with LE. You never know which one has an itchy trigger finger and thinks he's Rambo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links