Moving to KS for school from MI

This is a discussion on Moving to KS for school from MI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to graduate school in Kansas this fall. My question is since I hold a cpl from MI can I Carry while being in ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SpencerB
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: Moving to KS for school from MI

I'm going to graduate school in Kansas this fall. My question is since I hold a cpl from MI can I Carry while being in KS under my MI license as a student or will I have to apply for one in ks as well now? Also not sure about housing there yet but I'm guessing legally if living on school property I won't even be allowed to keep firearms in my residence?

Rock and Glock likes this.

If you'll be living on school property (res hall/apartment), you cannot legally store your gun in your room. If you are thinking of KU, all on-campus buildings are posted, and you don't want to have to deal with the consequences of being caught on campus with a gun...

When will you be moving ? There is a reason I ask. Let me know 'when' , and I can send you the relevant laws, etc. related to your questions. What it is now ? Or , what it will be after July 1. After July 1 , all changes .... all for the good.

You can call and ask AG's conceal carry unit - (785) 291-3765 & they are extremely helpful .... but read the rest of this first. Don't hesitate to call them, they are great folks and extremely helpful.
    Right now, you would need to apply for a Ks cc permit and your MI permit would NOT cover you until you had the Ks permit in your hand. (ask AG office whether residency applies or not). There are some in's and out's related to students that they can let you know. It's to your advantage to have a Ks cc permit if MI is not recognized per today's laws.... but that changes JULY 1.

Now, July 1 ... the law completely changes & so does the process to do it . Then, you don't even do the normal process of getting a license....... (which they can explain) ...... you do an application with copy of your Michigan license, etc.... and your license IS good and covers you until you receive your Kansas permit. But, again .... some differences related to students who aren't moving here permanently that they can answer for you. Don't know under the new law if you would even have to apply for one, being a student.

Also, after July 1 ... Ks will recognize all "out of state " permits.

In Ks laws "NOW" , you are legal (if you have a Kansas cc permit) to carry at schools, on school grounds, etc. You can conceal carry (given you have a Ks CC permit) in any school buildings that are not "legally posted with the AG's approved signage" per the laws.

However, our Dept of Education ... is way behind the power curve, and they are still maintaining a school policy.... that NO STUDENTS can conceal carry nor have guns on school property or buildings, or can be expelled. However, it is NOT a crime to carry in them if not posted and you have a Ks cc permit. It would BE ILLEGAL if all you have is the Michagn permit. If carry past a sign on a posted building and have a Ks cc permit, it's a misdeamnor and $50 fine. However again..... after July 1... that changes too ..... and "it's no longer a crime nor a fine" if you conceal carry into a posted building ..... and they don't have metal detectors , etc. to prevent anyone else from entering the building or business with a gun. But, if asked to leave you would have to leave or could be guilty of trespassing.

That was being argued in the Legislature... and ... after July 1 ..... schools will be exempted for 4 yrs, but after that if any of them 'post their buildings" they will have to have security and metal detectors to assure NO PERSON is able to enter the building with a gun if it's going to prohibit conceal carry holders from carrying.

I bet that was all about as clear as "mud". There is ... what is NOW..... versus after July 1 ... when it all changes.

Also..... Ksccw.NET .. (www.ksccw.net) is a newer Ks forum, with areas where links are posted to the laws, as well as discussions about the upcoming changes, updates, etc. AS the AG clarifies or spells out more on it as well, there will be updates on there.
    joker1 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by GlockHawk17 View Post
    If you'll be living on school property (res hall/apartment), you cannot legally store your gun in your room. If you are thinking of KU, all on-campus buildings are posted, and you don't want to have to deal with the consequences of being caught on campus with a gun...
    Wrong.... it's against school policy and you could be expelled, but it is not against the law & "illegal" to carry on campus ... and then it is only in a building if it is posted.... and that's a misdeamnor & $50 fine. I have carried on campuses all of the time, I'm not a student.... nothing illegal about it.

And, after July 1 ... they can only be 'exempted' for 4 yrs ..... from having to have metal detectors, etc. at all doors / entrances of any building they want to post ..... and it's not a crime nor a fine to carry past a building with signage unless they have metal detectors, etc.

Any Ks resident with a cc permit, really needs to read all of the bills that will become law on July 1, almost everything changed.... and it's all for the good.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I will not be moving until mid July, that being said my real question I had is KS accepts MI's License if I were to visit but wondering if I keep my MI DL and permanent address in MI still I technically would still be a resident of MI and not KS which I would think would allow me to carry under my MI CPL still.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
    I will not be moving until mid July, that being said my real question I had is KS accepts MI's License if I were to visit but wondering if I keep my MI DL and permanent address in MI still I technically would still be a resident of MI and not KS which I would think would allow me to carry under my MI CPL still.
    Ok... want to make sure I have read this correctly .....
    * You plan to keep residency in Michigan.
    * You won't be coming here until after July 1, 2013 when the new laws take effect.
    * You would rather just operate on your Michigan permit and not get a Kansas one at all.

After July 1, .... and remember it will take a typically a month or so for everyone out there to get it out, absorb all of the changes, and then disseminate it to their officers (so, in mid-July.... I would carry a printed copy in my car in case).

* Ks will recognize all other state's permits
    * You will still have the issues as a "student" with the Ks Dept of Education and their policy on expelling students if they have a gun or carry on school grounds or buildings.... but if you carried .... you would NOT be doing anything illegal. (be updated on the AG required signage).
    * It won't be a crime to carry past a sign even if a business, etc. is posted...... if they do not have metal detectors, security, etc...... schools can request an exemption to that requirement for 4 yrs. from having security, metal detectors, etc at all doors. If they ask you to leave though, you must leave, or could be charged with trespassing by not leaving.
    * They can ONLY post a building, not areas, parks, etc.
    * YOU .... could not carry in a Gun Free Zone or on any K-12 grade level schools, grounds, etc. and be covered, since you wouldn't have a Ks permit.
    * Remember, you can have permits in more than one state.

Hope that helps. Again, I would go to ksccw.NET where you can read them for yourself as well... and print any sections you think you might want. Or, watch the Kansas AG's site in the 'conceal carry' section, for updates, etc.

Some good advice here, if your coming to KU, if there's a question you have I'd see if I could help, I live in Lawrence & work on campus @ KU.

What is the laws in KS regarding parking lots? I will be living in a house that is school property but located off campus. I'm trying to figure out how I can talk my firearm with me but also dont want to break the laws. I thought about storage units, maybe storing in trunk of car, or perhaps storing in a small fireproof safe that I would be using to keep my documents safe in. any thoughts on how I can still have my firearms while in KS would be great. as far as the "new" laws I dont think they will really affect me at the school because of the 4 year grace period.

Sponsored Links