Traveling to AL and need some clarification on laws

This is a discussion on Traveling to AL and need some clarification on laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am traveling to AL and have been looking at handgunlaw.us but I still have a few questions. Do understand correctly that you can carry ...

Thread: Traveling to AL and need some clarification on laws

Question Traveling to AL and need some clarification on laws

I am traveling to AL and have been looking at handgunlaw.us but I still have a few questions.

Do understand correctly that you can carry concealed in a city or state park with a permit even if it is posted and there would be no criminal charges unless you refused to leave when asked? Do I understand correctly that this is also the case for local businesses like a grocery, etc.? Do I understand correctly that you can open carry?

2. Remove Ads

AL is technically an OC state, some local PDs do not recognize it though. This should change Aug 1 when the new law takes effect forcing them to do so. As it stands now signs have no force of law. City parks etc are kinda gray area. Supposedly local govt has no authority to make laws concerning weapons but some try, you'd be best served by not carrying if posted.
    What part of AL?

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

Senior Moderator
    If you have a permit you can carry in City and state parks but not state forests. You cannot carry at a public school or with in 100feet of a public demonstration.

"No Gun" signs have no force of law.

While it is legal to open carry (not in a car or vehicle) I would not recommend it unless you are willing to be hassled. Several Municipalities in the state either do not know the laws or do not like them and they respond quickly and aggressively to Man With a Gun calls.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I will be in Florence, AL and surrounding areas.

According to handgunlaw.us, 13A-11-72 says that a permit holder can carry in a school, btw. Not that I will be in a school... Just sayin'.

Thanks for the info on open carry and LEO freaking out on MWG calls. Good to know!

Just thought I'd report back... Thanks for the help! The trip was uneventful (in a good way)!

By the way, handgunlaw.us says that it is illegal to carry pepper spray in AL. I found that surprising! Didn't know that until just before we left and had to remove the pepper spray from our vehicle...

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    With a valid permit/license to carry you can carry in WMA's, State Parks and State and National Forests in Alabama. You can see the rules here.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/images...5-12%20web.pdf

You need to start reading about page 39
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Just thought I'd report back... Thanks for the help! The trip was uneventful (in a good way)!

By the way, handgunlaw.us says that it is illegal to carry pepper spray in AL. I found that surprising! Didn't know that until just before we left and had to remove the pepper spray from our vehicle...
    You need to take another look, looks like the chemical spray is only illegal in Mobile and Montgomery, not in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    You need to take another look, looks like the chemical spray is only illegal in Mobile and Montgomery, not in the state.
    Oopsie. Thanks. I think I got in a hurry there!

Links