OOPS...My new Glock-26 may have an ammo problem...Help!!!

This is a discussion on OOPS...My new Glock-26 may have an ammo problem...Help!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just noticed that all my 9mm ammo is 115g Horady Critical Defense that I had stockpiled for my LC9 which I no longer have... All ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: OOPS...My new Glock-26 may have an ammo problem...Help!!!

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Just noticed that all my 9mm ammo is 115g Horady Critical Defense that I had stockpiled for my LC9 which I no longer have...
    All my reading is telling me this is not the ammo of choice for the 26...

need some guidance here guys....thanks
    johnaengus likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Try it and shoot it. Unless Hornady says it's not meant for Glocks because it's supper hot.

In God and Glock we Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Takeem406 View Post
    Try it and shoot it. Unless Hornady says it's not meant for Glocks because it's supper hot.

In God and Glock we Trust
    I bring it up due to the fact that what I am reading everyone is talking about 147g ammo and some say +p.....115g seems not to fit the profile but I really don't know the difference in the gram rating.......?????? thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    It's grains not grams. The larger the number, the heavier the bullet.

I don't know a thing about Hornady Critical Defense other than I remember reading some bad reviews about lack of expansion. That said, if the round function tests in your firearm, then there's no reason why you can't use them. Typically, the heavier the bullet, the less recoil you will experience. This doesn't mean that a 147 gr. +P round will have less recoil than a standard pressure 115 gr. round though.

Bullet weight questions are like oil threads on motorcycle forums; you'll get a ton of answers and they'll all contradict each other. Everybody has what they like, but nobody is going to volunteer to get shot with the other stuff that they won't carry.
    Taurahe and NH_Esau like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Relax.

Just about any defensive ammo put out by the major ammo manufacturers over the last decade is plenty good. You may not have the latest stuff that will shoot through windshields, car doors and 4 layers of sheetrock and still perform as intended, but what you have on hand is better than anything commercially available when the 9mm swept the law enforcement world.

There might be something "better" to be sure, and a lot of folks favor heavier bullets, but you are by no means inadequately armed with Critical Defense.
    Aceoky, TX expat and glockman10mm like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks guys.....appreciate the input.....still learning.....
    TX expat and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Thanks guys.....appreciate the input.....still learning.....
    Most of us are still learning and there's a even a few that never learn!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    It's grains not grams. The larger the number, the heavier the bullet.

I don't know a thing about Hornady Critical Defense other than I remember reading some bad reviews about lack of expansion. That said, if the round function tests in your firearm, then there's no reason why you can't use them. Typically, the heavier the bullet, the less recoil you will experience. This doesn't mean that a 147 gr. +P round will have less recoil than a standard pressure 115 gr. round though.

Bullet weight questions are like oil threads on motorcycle forums; you'll get a ton of answers and they'll all contradict each other. Everybody has what they like, but nobody is going to volunteer to get shot with the other stuff that they won't carry.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^Y

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Since you already have the ammo just shoot it and see. The G26 is a hungry little gun. It'll eat anything you feed it!
    Last edited by DetChris; May 25th, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Just noticed that all my 9mm ammo is 115g Horady Critical Defense that I had stockpiled for my LC9 which I no longer have...
    All my reading is telling me this is not the ammo of choice for the 26...

need some guidance here guys....thanks
    I shot Critical Duty in my Glock 19, and had a problem where entire rounds would pop out from the mag thru the ejection port, usually the last round.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Don't take the written or spoken word too seriously. The internet is full of people who are full of something, ,I have yet to find any ammo my G26 will not shoot. I have known a couple of guys that wore their guns out,by playing with them,then they blame ammo. They load and unload twice daily,clean them twice a week,and never go to the range. Dry fire every day. I knew another guy that would just sit and rack the slide,like the gun was a toy. These were not friends,just various nuts I knew. My point is,take a lot of what you read and hear with a grain of salt,there is probably more to the story.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The biggest issue I've heard about with CD is due to its shape it doesn't feed well in "some" guns. If it feeds in yours, use it. Far too much hoopla in claiming one brand/type over another.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a 2 year old Gen3 G26 and it pretty much shoots anything without problem. I like Hornady ammo. And I use Remington Golden Saber 127gr. +P bonded HP bullets as my carry round. I've also shot a LOT of 115gr ammo as range ammo. Granted, it's not the Hornady CD HP, but it's cheap-o 115gr RN ammo, nonetheless. I think as others have said that unless it gives you problems (and you gotta go try a bunch to make sure!!!) it should serve you well.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Most of us are still learning and there's a even a few that never learn!
    Awesome, reply and so true.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Typically, the heavier the bullet, the less recoil you will experience.
    Actually, if you look at the equations, bullet weight is in the numerator which means the lighter bullet will have less recoil.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/GunRecoilFormulae.pdf

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links