Night Sights

This is a discussion on Night Sights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a glock 19 and have been doing a lot of shooting with it. I have seen a lot of talk about the night ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Night Sights

Night Sights

I have a glock 19 and have been doing a lot of shooting with it. I have seen a lot of talk about the night sights. So I purchansed them a while back and installed them on my gun. There great during the night if you have to use your weapon. But I have some diffirnet thoughts on them now. My eyes are not as good as they use to be. I have noticed during the day against a darker background that the sight picture is a little difficult to pick out. I still shoot good but I know it is because I pratice a lot. The sights are hard to see during certain times of the day when it is is just starting to get some what dark out side. I also know you need to identify your target before you shoot at night so I will usually have a flashlight with me. I know sometimes you may not have a flashlight with you, so I know the nights sights would be a big benefit but you still need to identify your target. I am thinking of going back to my original glock sights. Maybe its just me but with the original glock sights I have a better sight picture. I seem to have more confidence in my shooting. I have been told that most attacks are during night time hours so I coud see the nights sight coming in handy. So what are your thoughts on the night sights versa the original golck sights ?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adampappy View Post
    I have a glock 19 and have been doing a lot of shooting with it. I have seen a lot of talk about the night sights. So I purchansed them a while back and installed them on my gun. There great during the night if you have to use your weapon. But I have some diffirnet thoughts on them now. My eyes are not as good as they use to be. I have noticed during the day against a darker background that the sight picture is a little difficult to pick out. I still shoot good but I know it is because I pratice a lot. The sights are hard to see during certain times of the day when it is is just starting to get some what dark out side. I also know you need to identify your target before you shoot at night so I will usually have a flashlight with me. I know sometimes you may not have a flashlight with you, so I know the nights sights would be a big benefit but you still need to identify your target. I am thinking of going back to my original glock sights. Maybe its just me but with the original glock sights I have a better sight picture. I seem to have more confidence in my shooting. I have been told that most attacks are during night time hours so I coud see the nights sight coming in handy. So what are your thoughts on the night sights versa the original golck sights ?

I still rather have them than not. XS Big Dot sights or Meprolite sights have night sights with good white rings that make a good sight picture.
    AZJD1968, glockman10mm and CDW4ME like this.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I just installed a set of xs 24/7 big dots on my ruger SR40C, and they are quite impressive. The front sight is tritium vial surrounded by a humonguous white ring. It looks like golf ball and is super easy to see and aquire. The rear is not a notch but a shallow v and the white ball nestles in the v... that simple. The rear has a tritium insert as well. They are very bright and easy to see in low light. At close range the rear sight should be almost un needed as the front sight is so visible and eye catching you dont notice it.
    I am not a fan of three dot sights becuase they cause me to focus on alinging them and not shooting. I have not shot the big dots yet but i am very confident in them.

Another set to take a look is the ghost ring sights from ameriglo. My gunsmith uses them on his g22 and they are pretty awesome. The front is a bright orange ball with a tritium insert. The rear is a large ghost ring. When sighting the eye naturally focuses on the front sight, blurring the rear ghost ring. I have seen him shoot them and he is a heck of a shot with them . I will prob be putting them on my g22 as well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Have and not need instead of not have and need. Have them on my RIA because its my main carry weapon
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    Have and not need instead of not have and need. Have them on my RIA because its my main carry weapon
    That's where I am--I've got them (the Trijicon ones) on my G17--and the thick white outlines around the beads help me in the daylight though they are not as easy for me to use as the factory ones--however, they are awesome in the dark and I feel more prepared for adverse situations with them on!

I'll second the XS 24/7 big dots for a carry gun. I had them put on my glock 19 and love them.
    CDW4ME likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    An option for you, adampappy, is to paint your current front sight around the Tritium vial with either fingernail polish or auto touch up paint to make the sight stand out more. This will aid your sight picture in normat light and still give you Tritium enhanced dots in low to no light. You also may prefer a wider rear notch, a gunsmith could open it up for you, to give a little more light on each side of your front sight during presentation.

I really like a wide U notch rear sight, it is a softer, more visible sight picture over a squared off rear. I currently am using 10-8 Performance U rear and brass bead front and out of all the different setups I use it is my favorite. I have a Sig set up with a TruGlo front sight, it uses fiber optics and Tritium and is like a glowing orb out in front of a Trijicon Tritium rear. The fiber optics give you a bright dot during daytime by intensifying ambient light.

I too installed Big Dot 24/7 Express sights on my EDC. This version has both a Front Tritium dot and a Rear Tritium line along with a big white circle around the front. I happy I did and plan on installing them on any new purchases.

xs big dot.png
    OldMick and CDW4ME like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    I use the Birdman Nyte Sytes on my gat.
    miller_man likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    ^^^ LOL!
    At certain times and situations those are your best option.

Byrd Sights-
    "Allows firing from car windows, over fences, bar counters, or simply while chasing someone through the hood!"
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Some people use Tritium front and stock rear sights. The idea intrigues my, but not enough to do it yet.

Distinguished Member
    I have the ameriglo Pro I dots on my G23, and just ordered a second set for my G19. I love these sights.
    matts phone 062.jpgmatts phone 063.jpg

The bigger space in the rear sight is awesome, and the front sight with the big yellow circle is super easy and fast to pick up. The bigger cut out on the rear sight lets a lot of light or color of the target around the front sight so you can really tell where your front sight is in the sight picture. And my eyesight isn't great, these really help. I've been struggling with the stock G19 sights with dry fire practice. I like these sights in every lighting condition I can be in - day light, dusk, low light, and no light.
    sparkykb likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I like the Triji HD's and am having a set installed on my G19 today.
    multistage likes this.

VIP Member
    I have night sights on my 640 Pro and on my Sig P229 Extreme. But almost all of my SD practice is point shooting, with only very rough sight alignment past five yards. If I ever need to shoot in SD, I seriously doubt I'll have the luxury of perfect sight alignment. If I can see the three dots, great; but I'll be relying on muscle memory from practice - assuming I also have the luxury of being able to shoot from a stance.

(I'm not sure about the necessity of ID-ing your target with a flashlight - most likely your target will have ID'ed himself to you....just an aside and something to think about....)
    miller_man and atctimmy like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

For those that have big dot night sights, how bright are they at night?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links