Legality - vehicle holster

This is a discussion on Legality - vehicle holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched and found a few topics where this was discussed, however, I never really saw a clear cut answer. I'm a CCW holder in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Legality - vehicle holster

I searched and found a few topics where this was discussed, however, I never really saw a clear cut answer.

I'm a CCW holder in FL. I'm curious if this way of car carrying is LEGAL. I want quick access when driving, however, is this still concealed enough in my vehicle? The "proper" placement for this holster is directly under the steering column. Moving it over and in front of my knee offers access without reaching or much movement.

I've looked at sites online but haven't found the answer pertaining to FL law. Anyone?

Thank you in advance.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369482492.383606.jpg

Dan

Nice positioning for access, terrible positioning for an auto accident. Your knee is trash if you run into something.

I t-boned a car that ran a stop sign and even with all the airbags in the car, I still ended up with my second knee surgery. Now I have a vehicle that has a knee airbag, so I have to be sure my car holster doesn't interfere with the airbag.

Kublid likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I don't know about FL but in TX (which also bans OC and has very similar CC laws and gives reciprocity on CWFLs) that is a guaranteed ticket to jail. You cannot have a weapon in your vehicle in plain view if it's a handgun. That said, the "in plain view" thing is easily covered (literally) by putting it in a compartment or even just covering it with a towel.
    USM1976 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That would be considered Open Carry in FL. It must be out of sight. That is not.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had interpreted the law as out of sight to the average person, ie someone walking by, driving next to, could not openly see the firearm. I'm guessing I interpreted incorrectly. :-( - may have a $60 unusable holster/mount.

Any LEO's on this subject?

Dan

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    According to FL Castle Doctrine...

(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
    I am not a attorney, however my opinion is that in your vehicle is no different than in your home.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post

I am not a attorney, however my opinion is that in your vehicle is no different than in your home.
    In Mississippi the Castle Doctrine applies to vehicles (and for that matter to tents). Therefore if you can OC in your home, you can also OC in your car. The Texas law does not allow persons WITHOUT a permit to OC in a vehicle, but it is not quite clear to me if it allows OC in a car WITH a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post

That is a very risky and unnecessary chance to take for no substantive gain...There is a very big difference between between what is "legal" and what is "prudent"...or commonly sensible.

I keep a remora in my car an use it crossdraw until I arrive than put back in iwb.
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I keep a remora in my car an use it crossdraw until I arrive than put back in iwb.
    I use a DeSantis Nemesis for the same purpose.
    bigmacque likes this.

New Member Array ChipOffTheGlock's Avatar
    I also live in Florida and had to study the law thoroughly due to having a misd battery charge a few years back and didn't want to look like an idiot when I tried to purchase a firearm. With that being said its not illegal for someone to see your firearm as long as its not brandished in a threatening manner or with careless behavior unless during a legal self defense situation. So I'm positive that if your weapon is under your steering column in a holster in your vehicle I'm sure that's not brandishing in a dangerous manner. I've also verified anything I've read or didn't understand with my brother who is a LEO and I'm a paramedic so I shoot the **** with LEO's that I encounter since they all carry Glocks
    Kublid likes this.

Vehicle carry Florida

Vehicle carry without a license is permitted.

Handguns – must be either "securely encased" or not immediately available for use.[12] "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.[13] Carry of a Handgun on one's person inside a vehicle without a license is not permitted (except in the case of open carry in accordance with the law outlined above). Once a handgun is securely encased, it can be stored anywhere inside the vehicle and is not limited to just the glove compartment/center console.
    darbo and blake716 like this.

Ironmike, this is the law pertaining to NOT having a CCW, correct? I'm trying to see where I stand having a CCW and how it changes.

Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with how the handgun is carried but how the handgun is "used" to protect the vehicle, building, or dwelling.

Texas also has Castle Doctrine, however, Texas law also states a handgun has to be concealed while in a vehicle. From a law enforcement standpoint these two views depicted above would be illegal. Now, as a retired officer, rather than arrest, I would admonish and suggest the
    handgun be hidden as the next officer might not be a gracious.
    Last edited by USM1976; May 25th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
    oldman45 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links