Defensive Carry banner

Must inform question

876 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Keith44 
#1 ·
I'll be travelling through NC and SC in a few weeks. I realize that both of these states have "must inform" laws and that if stopped I will need to do this when I'm driving. But my question is do I need to inform if I am a passenger and not driving?

#3 ·
To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
•Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
•Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.
•Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
•Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.
'
from Concealed Handguns Reciprocity

the key words are " approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer " but out of respect for the officer I would since you have you CCP

#4 ·
In S.C.,the only time you are required to inform,is if you are asked for an ID by a LEO.
This past xmas,i was a passenger,when my friend was pulled for speeding.She didn't have a ccp,and i have for a few years now.He never asked me for anything,so i didn't offer.
I don't tell period,unless,i have to.I've had to show mine 3 x's in 10 years,and thankfully,no problems..You never know how someone may act these days,so i don't tell,if i don't have to.

#8 ·
In NC you must notify if a passenger. This is per the lawyers in the AGs office. In NC you must notify when you are approached by an officer and since everyone inside a vehicle is considered being approached during a traffic stop all must notify if carrying concealed.

Also, in NC in the console is considered concealed so you still must notify.

Reactions: msgt/ret
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.