Must inform question

Must inform question

This is a discussion on Must inform question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be travelling through NC and SC in a few weeks. I realize that both of these states have "must inform" laws and that if ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By dben002
  • 2 Post By Dan060
  • 1 Post By Manderinobyebye
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Must inform question

Must inform question

I'll be travelling through NC and SC in a few weeks. I realize that both of these states have "must inform" laws and that if stopped I will need to do this when I'm driving. But my question is do I need to inform if I am a passenger and not driving?

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I'll be travelling through NC and SC in a few weeks. I realize that both of these states have "must inform" laws and that if stopped I will need to do this when I'm driving. But my question is do I need to inform if I am a passenger and not driving?
    I see nothing in the statue that mandates a passenger must inform, but to be on the safe side of the law I would offer my cc license anyway out of respect and avoiding a problem should the officer have reason to detain the driver for any reason and ask that you both step out of the vehicle.
    Taurahe, msgt/ret and Keith44 like this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
    •Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
    •Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.
    •Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
    •Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.
    '
    from Concealed Handguns Reciprocity

the key words are " approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer " but out of respect for the officer I would since you have you CCP

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    In S.C.,the only time you are required to inform,is if you are asked for an ID by a LEO.
    This past xmas,i was a passenger,when my friend was pulled for speeding.She didn't have a ccp,and i have for a few years now.He never asked me for anything,so i didn't offer.
    I don't tell period,unless,i have to.I've had to show mine 3 x's in 10 years,and thankfully,no problems..You never know how someone may act these days,so i don't tell,if i don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    In S.C.,the only time you are required to inform,is if you are asked for an ID by a LEO.
    This past xmas,i was a passenger,when my friend was pulled for speeding.She didn't have a ccp,and i have for a few years now.He never asked me for anything,so i didn't offer.
    I don't tell period,unless,i have to.I've had to show mine 3 x's in 10 years,and thankfully,no problems..You never know how someone may act these days,so i don't tell,if i don't have to.
    I fully agree Mandpgrl, just wanted to be sure of the law before I found myself in trouble.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    What mandpgrl said..I've had my CCP,for a while,and i've been pulled with mine in my console before,In that case,i'm not required to inform,so i don't.Most LEO'S,at least around here,are pretty good,but,you could run across one,that wants to act fool.
    Manderinobyebye and Keith44 like this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Yea,good point on the console Dan,i forgot about that.
    Dan060 likes this.

In NC you must notify if a passenger. This is per the lawyers in the AGs office. In NC you must notify when you are approached by an officer and since everyone inside a vehicle is considered being approached during a traffic stop all must notify if carrying concealed.

Also, in NC in the console is considered concealed so you still must notify.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Wow, NC sounds a bit strict...I find Mandpgrl's approach the most palatable to me

Links