147 grain flat nose 9mm

This is a discussion on 147 grain flat nose 9mm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok... I bought some today out of curiosity. What's the thinking behind this round? Is it a winter round made to penetrate layers of clothing, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 147 grain flat nose 9mm

147 grain flat nose 9mm

Ok... I bought some today out of curiosity. What's the thinking behind this round?

Is it a winter round made to penetrate layers of clothing, or what?

Btw, haven't shot it yet.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

2. Remove Ads

I doubt that was the original intent of the round. The 147gr. has been pretty popular in 9mm, especially with law enforcement. Might be pretty good in that situation though. Would love to see a review when you shoot it to see how it performs. Also, who is the manufacturer?

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's a subsonic round. Will make shooting suppressed quieter
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Federal. 1000 fps. Same muzzle energy as basically all their rounds.... ~340 ft/pda.

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Is it hard cast?

I have a few rounds of flat-nosed 147 FMJ left, and I wish I had a thousand more. It's good to have when you need max penetration, and it seems to run thru any gun just fine.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I shot a box of AE 147g flat nose yesterday out of my Steyr M9-A1.

It ran fine and seemed accurate enough, but that's the first time I have ever seen that particular loading. Only thing was...I was only allowed to buy one box at the store I got it from.

I'd use it for defense, especially during the winter months. The flat nose stuff hits harder than round FMJs and has a straighter trajectory. If you can get it at a good price, definitely a good find IMO.
    rugergunner likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I put a hundred rounds of the same ammo through my Shield yesterday. Absolutely no issues!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Some European guns with fixed sights are regulated to them. That's why I keep them. Astra 1921, and Star super, both shoot them to point of aim. 115, and 124 grain both hit high. I load them in hard cast and jacketed [when I can find them.] I also have a bolt action rifle that shoots them very well! DR

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Ok... I bought some today out of curiosity. What's the thinking behind this round?

Is it a winter round made to penetrate layers of clothing, or what?

Btw, haven't shot it yet.

Truncated FMJ? It's meant to simulate 147 gr JHP for felt recoil, but it's made to be cheaper for paper target practice. I used Fiocci truncated FMJ when I could buy it by the case before the shortage.
    N.M. Edmands likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'd use it for defense, especially during the winter months. The flat nose stuff hits harder than round FMJs and has a straighter trajectory. If you can get it at a good price, definitely a good find IMO.
    What? How "hard" it hits is energy, which is muzzle energy/velocity and mass/weight. It doesn't matter if it's truncated or rounded nose. A rounded nose would actually have a better chance of penetration through layers or barriers. Especially if the round is FMJ, and not a lead round. Also, flatter trajectory? from something that's essentially a flying brick? That sort of defies basics of aerodynamics.
    N.M. Edmands likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Moderator
    I use 147 grainers for shooting through a suppressor. The extra weight was to give it more energy due to the velocity loss and it also aids in functioning reliably.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I use 147grn in my Ruger PC9 carbine. WWB 147grn JHP averages 1050fps from my P89 and 1380fps from the 16" bbl of the carbine.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

We've had a terrible experience with the 147 grn subsonics. True they were JHPs but I'd never carry one of any kind.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links