Springfield XDM Compact .45 verses the Springfield XD-S .45

This is a discussion on Springfield XDM Compact .45 verses the Springfield XD-S .45 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search and couldn't find a comparison on this forum. I'm looking at both of these as my next carry gun and thought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XDM Compact .45 verses the Springfield XD-S .45

Springfield XDM Compact .45 verses the Springfield XD-S .45

I did a search and couldn't find a comparison on this forum. I'm looking at both of these as my next carry gun and thought the good folks here could give me some thoughts I hadn't thought about yet when comparing the two. I'm also considering the G36 and G27 or G30 for the same reasons. I don't have any experience with the Springfield line so that's why I'm focusing on it in this thread.

XDM Compact
    Sights:Fixed Dovetail, 3-Dot , Barrel Length:3.8" Match Grade Barrel , Overall Length:7" , Weight:27.5 oz , Caliber:45ACP , Capacity:9+1 & 13+1 , Action:Double Action Only (USA Action Trigger System) , # of Mags:2 Price: About $600

XD-S .45
    Barrel: 3.3" Melonite Coated Stainless Steel with FULLY SUPPORTED Ramp
    Overall Length: 6.3"
    Overall Height: 4.4"
    Overall Width: 1"
    Weight: 21.5oz
    Grips: Adjustable Backstrap
    Controls: Ambidextrous Magazine Release
    Sights: White Dot Rear, Fiberoptic Front
    Mags: 2
    Price: About $530

I really like the capacity of the XDMC but the slimness of the XD-S makes it more concealable and I'm wondering if I would carry it more because of it.

Your thoughts and experiences please.

2. Remove Ads

XDM is a little bigger with a double stack magazine. 3.8"
    XDS single stack magazine 3.3".
    XDS would be easier to conceal but XDM would be no problem.
    I have the XDS and like it ALOT.
    I'm going to get a 3.8 XDM as soon as possible.
    Just buy both.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter28 View Post
    Just buy both.
    I like the way you think. ;)

Would you recommend the XDM over the G30 or the XD-S over the G36?

I generally just wear a t-shirt not tucked in so I have more concealment. We live in a hot area so this is common attire out here.

Well as far as the guns go, you're probably going to want the XDS .45. That's one thin gun. Hickock 45 says it's even suitable for pocket carry. Primarily you should be concerned about the terminal ballistic properties of both models. The XDS just isn't going to crank out rounds with the same velocity as the full size model. Most test I've seen the rounds are sub 800 fps which can make expansion dubious with some JHP. I'm not sure how much the 3.8 barrell increases velocity thereby helping gain some expansion and penetration. Personally, I think I'm going to pick up a XDS .45. There's just so much to like about it. It just feels right even if I have to run FMJ to gain penetration I find acceptable.

I want to put a Crimson Trace laser on it, and in that regard, it really doesn't compare to the beautifully integrated CT design for the S&W M&P .40 Compact. It's like it's just part of the gun. Too bad Springfield didn't consider that more carefully when designing this nice little .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post

I generally just wear a t-shirt not tucked in so I have more concealment. We live in a hot area so this is common attire out here.
    I'm not familiar with the G30 or G36

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

I like the XDs :)

I absolutely love my XDs and can carry it almost anywhere and wearing almost anything.

I like my XDs tried to sell it when I got my G30sf but couldn't part with it. I carry the G30sf more then then the XDs just because it holds more rounds. I'm not a big guy and conceal both guns easily.

VIP Member
    Great price on the XDs........... I paid over $600 for mine and that was the cheapest I could find locally.

I have the XDs as well as an XDm 3.8. For CC, the XDs is a dream to carry. I just can't get over how easy it is to conceal (carry a spare 7 rd mag as well). My XDm is actually the 9mm -- with one in the chamber, that's 20 rounds. That's a LOT of ammo. I'm debating on maybe cc'ing that during the colder months of the year.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

I picked up my xds a few weeks back. It disappears with a normal untucked T shirt. Hell its not even noticable with gym shorts and a tank top on. If you want comfort and concealment i dont think you can beat it. .45 ACP doesnt hurt either, unless you're a BG that wants to be on the receiving end.

IME I carry a XDS45 when it's hot. Otherwise Its hard to cancel for me with tank top or t. When I can wear a flannel type shirt or jacket I will Owb a bigger gun.JME

I have the XDs as well, small, lightweight awesome to conceal. I look at as what it is to me, nothing more than a "get off of me gun"....until I can either close the gap or find something big and heavy.

Yeah he's right, I slide it inside of my blue jeans pocket with ease.

I like the feel of the G36 a lot more than the XD-S. The XD-S felt too small for me to get a comfortable grip on it (I have big hands). I'd recommend putting your hands on all the pistols you're considering before you make up your mind. I'll bet one will clearly feel better to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links