Tenn. and N.C. travel question?

This is a discussion on Tenn. and N.C. travel question? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Handgunlaw.us covered most of the small questions. Like carrying where alcohol is served and informing Police upon contact about my sidearm and signs carrying weight ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By lionround

Thread: Tenn. and N.C. travel question?

Tenn. and N.C. travel question?

Handgunlaw.us covered most of the small questions. Like carrying where alcohol is served and informing Police upon contact about my sidearm and signs carrying weight or not. I am concerned about the crazy laws out there like no HP ammo in NJ and 7 rounds in New York. I am leaving the gun supporting state of Missouri soon and traveling in and about North Carolina and Tennessee. Anything crazy I need to worry about? Any small crazy rule that I might over look? On another note, I had to add an hour to my trip to avoid ILLannoying, any news on when I can drive through there without disarming.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    This may help answer most of your questions

http://http://www.handgunlaw.us/stat...thcarolina.pdf
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    North Carolina has some odd rules but if you're just passing through they shouldn't affect you. TN is pretty cut and dry assuming you actually have a CCW permit.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    North Carolina has some odd rules but if you're just passing through they shouldn't affect you. TN is pretty cut and dry assuming you actually have a CCW permit.

Good luck.
    HAHA, should have mentioned that. I do have a MO resident CCW, which is recognized by all the goods states.

Be careful in county and city parks. Some are posted and as you have noted signs carry the weight of law. State and national parks OK but some buildings will be posted in them so just stay out of those buildings and all will be well. You can enter and eat in a place that serves alcohol if it is not posted and you do not consume.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Be careful in county and city parks. Some are posted and as you have noted signs carry the weight of law. State and national parks OK but some buildings will be posted in them so just stay out of those buildings and all will be well. You can enter and eat in a place that serves alcohol if it is not posted and you do not consume.
    The law concerning carry in alcohol serving places has not been passed yet.....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    NC currently has some funky laws, such as "places that charge admission", which means any sort of park or movie theater. Restaurants that serve alcohol (90% of them and any sort of chain) are a no go. I doubt you will be present for a parade or anything of the sort. Otherwise, notify if stopped and that means more than handing your permit, and you should be good to go. Oh, and welcome to the CA of the South.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    The law concerning carry in alcohol serving places has not been passed yet.....
    Better check again...Passed quite a while back.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Better check again...Passed quite a while back.
    Dben was referring to NC while you were speaking about TN. TN is ahead of us on that one but we're trying to catch-up.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

One NC quirk is that you can not possess teflon‑coated bullets too. Now that really cuts down your choices of self defense rounds. LOL
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I live in West Tennessee, near Memphis actually. The best advice I can give you is, watch out in Shelby County and Davidson County. (Shelby County = Memphis and Davidson = Nashville) Those are the two liberal, anti-gun strongholds in the state. Quite a few places in Shelby and Davidson are posted no guns. Memphis city parks are no carry which is stupid.

Now, when will you be traveling through the Memphis area? Maybe we could get a cup of coffee.
    lionround likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I live in West Tennessee, near Memphis actually. The best advice I can give you is, watch out in Shelby County and Davidson County. (Shelby County = Memphis and Davidson = Nashville) Those are the two liberal, anti-gun strongholds in the state. Quite a few places in Shelby and Davidson are posted no guns. Memphis city parks are no carry which is stupid.

Now, when will you be traveling through the Memphis area? Maybe we could get a cup of coffee.
    Three for coffee? I work downtown Memphis, but would be up for a meet and greet somewhere.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Links