My CHP was denied. Any help?

This is a discussion on My CHP was denied. Any help? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a va resident. I recently got denied because I answered yes to entering a treatment center for alcohol. I was not court ordered I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: My CHP was denied. Any help?

My CHP was denied. Any help?

I'm a va resident. I recently got denied because I answered yes to entering a treatment center for alcohol. I was not court ordered I did it on my own will. I appealed it and went in front of the judge and he still denied it. Does anyone know any other way I could get my CHP. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Wow that's rough. Have you considered consulting a lawyer?

Someone told me its too late since I already went to court. I thought the judge would over turn it if I just explained the situation. But I was wrong.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    You willmost likely have to wait 3 years and reapply
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    This won't help you with your CHL problem but maybe it will help you. Be proud of what you did to help yourself.
    Be proud that you were fully honest on the application. Remember that there are many ways to defend yourself, and
    a handgun is only one of them-- and often not even the best way.
    PEF, archer51, suntzu and 7 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You should still consult a lawyer. They would be better versed in knowing what your avenues of recourse are.

I'm guessing from the sounds of it your treatment was fairly recent and that may be the reason for still denying your permit.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Thanks alot. I know if I answered no and some now they found out I'm pretty sure that's a felony. I guess it's not the end of the world. But my line of work I have alot of expensive things at my work and in my car. But Ill just keep my gun in my car or at my desk. Thanks for the help

It was 2 years ago. But I applied for my permit like 3 months ago

VIP Member
    I’ll second the lawyer; they will be better versed in your options and the best course of action.
    perfection likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinsfan7086 View Post
    Someone told me its too late since I already went to court. I thought the judge would over turn it if I just explained the situation. But I was wrong.
    You should probably stop taking the advice of someone and get a real lawyer.
    GSDSchutzhund and ep1953 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Skinsfan7086 View Post
    I'm a va resident. I recently got denied because I answered yes to entering a treatment center for alcohol. I was not court ordered I did it on my own will. I appealed it and went in front of the judge and he still denied it. Does anyone know any other way I could get my CHP. Thanks.
    Contact a Lawyer. One that I personally know is Attny Evan Nappen. He's a real good Gun rights guy.Has a Office in NJ, so that should tell you something about him.
    Good Luck and hope it works out for you.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Just a little info if you didn't see it. On the VA web site for concealed handguns here is one of the stipulations for refusal of a carry permit.

Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

Persons Not Qualified to Obtain a Permit:

18. An individual who has received mental health treatment or substance abuse treatment in a residential setting within five years prior to the date of his application for a concealed handgun permit.
    This may be why.
    varob likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I assume that the judge is thinking that no matter who did the committing, it does not negate the existence of the problem.

I can only assume that all the posters who champion the OP's cause have no experience with alcoholics or have seen the violence and irrational behavior they are capable of when they fall off the wagon, as many do during their lifetimes. I happen to know a few friends of Bill. One started drinking again and shot himself. Another got into an argument with a neighbor and went inside and grabbed his gun and headed towards the neighbors house. Luckily we stopped him. Knew a guy who put two sons, a wife and a daughter in the hospital due to beating them savagely. Also know a few people around here who have the problem and tell horror stories of how violent they got when they drank.

Those I know that are recovering alcoholics are smart enough to know that they should not own guns. Guns in the wrong hands end up biting us in the butts when they make the national news. I am sure none of you even know this poster and yet you would like to see a gun in his hands. Be careful of what you wish for.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I assume that the judge is thinking that no matter who did the committing, it does not negate the existence of the problem.

I can only assume that all the posters champion the OP's cause have no experience with alcoholics or have seen the violence and irrational behavior they are capable of when they fall off the wagon, as many do during their lifetimes. I happen to know a few friends of Bill. One started drinking again and shot himself. Another got into an argument with a neighbor and went inside and grabbed his gun and headed towards the neighbors house. Luckily we stopped him. Knew a guy who put two sons, a wife and a daughter in the hospital due to beating them savagely. Also know a few people around here who have the problem and tell horror stories of how violent they got when they drank.

Those I know that are recovering alcoholics are smart enough to know that they should not own guns and so should we.
    hmm, I've known alcoholics, and drug abusers who, once they sought help on their own, did not return to those old habits. Four went to their graves straight and sober without causing further harm to anyone. 5 year wait seems to be a good litmus test to me.

I do whole heartedly agree that not everyone should be armed though.
    msgt/ret likes this.

A judge already denied at an appeal hearing; therefore, there's not much you can do except to reapply in 3 years so that 5 years will have passed since last treatment to comply with VA law.
    pittypat21 and perfection like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links