Oregon CHP

This is a discussion on Oregon CHP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know of a Oregon county near western Washington that is accepting nonresident applications for CHP? I went on the webpage for Multnomah county ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon CHP

Oregon CHP

Does anyone know of a Oregon county near western Washington that is accepting nonresident applications for CHP? I went on the webpage for Multnomah county and they are not accepting out of state applications. So I was wondering are any of the nearby counties accepting out of state applications or are they all not accepting applications. I would like to obtain my permit since I have family in the state and frequently visit. I was there over the holiday weekend and would like to be able to carry my weapon when I visit my family.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Remove Ads

wow, can't help with that question, but why not put some pressure on your state to develop a reciprocal agreement with Oregon. Then one permit, instead of needing two (or more)

For a non-resident application, it's technically the state of Oregon that offers them. IIRC, you're not (as an out-of-state resident) required to go to only a bordering county. You ought to be able to apply through one of the extremely pro-gun sheriffs in the state. But, yes, it depends on the sheriff, as they're the ones who determine whether they're going to issue.

OpenCarry.org has a reasonably active state-specific group of forums, where folks discuss the relative difficulty/ease of acquiring a CHL in the various counties.

Check out Sheriff Glenn Palmer, in Grant County, OR. That link is from 2009, yes, but he's still sheriff there.

And here's a short list of some of the county sheriffs in Oregon who publicly vowed to disregard new anti-2A restrictions:

Josephine Cty, OR -- Sheriff Gil Gilbertson, as of Jan 18 2013.
    Linn County, OR -- Sheriff Tim Mueller, as of Jan 15 2013.
    Crook County, OR -- Sheriff Jim Hensley, as of Jan 15 2013.
    Curry County, OR -- Sheriff John Bishop, as of Jan 15 2013.
    Coos County, OR -- Sheriff Craig Zanni, as of Jan 15 2013.

Any one of these might be worth contacting, to confirm whether they're open to OR Non-Res CHL's.

List of Oregon county sheriffs: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Linn County, Lane County and Grant County are your best bets for non res permits as they are the most pro 2a counties that I know of in Oregon. as far as "near western washington" not sure and dont think you'll have much luck, or you'll end up on a waiting list to see the sheriff like 6 months out with no guarantee of even getting your permit once you do see the sheriff and fill out all the paperwork. best idea is to go through MK Tactical and take one of their non res Oregon/Nevada permit classes (w/ those 2 & a Washington permit, you are covered over 35 states and all but 2 in the western US). it's going to cost you a little money but they send in all paperwork for you w/ fingerprints and always send the permit requests to the pro 2a sheriffs so there is rarely if ever an issue. MK Tactical they have classes in vancouver every few months so it's more convenient than the other 2 or 3 places they hold classes.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Also from what I was told it would be granted if you worked in Oregon or go to school in Or. and the county you live in in Wa borders the state line, so if you live Spokane or Seattle they may not grant you one. Again that's what I was told when I applied for my CHL

Distinguished Member
    Baker County accepts them
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Thanks for everyones help. I will check out those other counties.

I got mine from Multnomah county just last year, in December, they much of stop doing it.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

oregon CHP

GO TO SHERMAN COUNTY! great people, ours were in my mail in 11 days

Another vote for Grant County. I went there for mine because of the recommendations, and also because I lived in Moses Lake (Grant County WA) at the time. They took my NV training cert to satisfy OR requirement, but they would also take any other state training or the NRA cert.

From what I understand, the Sheriff there comes up here somewhere every year or so and processes applications. I'm not sure where, but I would imagine it's somewhere like Oly. If you're not in a hurry, you might wait for that.

Point of interest... if you call to ask any questions, call during business hours. It's a REALLY small town in a tiny county, and they forward the office phone to 911 when they go home. I had a rather awkward conversation with their 911 operator when I called them to check on the status at 1730...

http://grantcountysherifforegon.com/...oncealed-carry

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chl-central/grant
    Last edited by livewire; May 31st, 2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: link to Sheriff website
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the info. Multnomah County said "maybe" after the first of the year they will start processing out of state applicants. I'm going to Grant County.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edsnothere View Post
    Thanks for the info. Multnomah County said "maybe" after the first of the year they will start processing out of state applicants. I'm going to Grant County.
    Hurry up before the snow. The BestWestern is the only decent place to stay in John Day and it is only a block from Outpost Pizza Pub & Grill.

Still waiting on my WA permit. I had one years ago and let it expire. Should have it in 15 days or so then it a trip to Grant county. :)

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edsnothere View Post
    Still waiting on my WA permit. I had one years ago and let it expire. Should have it in 15 days or so then it a trip to Grant county. :)
    Call for an appointment and check the passes before heading out TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

Sherman county is closer and no passes to go over. You can go there and be home for dinner. Morro (the county seat) is 100 miles east on the interstate and 15 miles south on US 97.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links