first carry, first hug

This is a discussion on first carry, first hug within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter ( 17 )works at Best Buy. One of her good friends she use to hang with works there too. I havent seen her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first carry, first hug

VIP Member

first carry, first hug

My daughter ( 17 )works at Best Buy. One of her good friends she use to hang with works there too. I havent seen her friend in atleast 2 years. This is my first day carrying. I had my 642 OWB at about 4:30..iI read on here once to go low with the hugs. I tried but she went right to my gun and put her hand right on it. She didnt say anything or seem surprised, maybe she thought it was a cell phone or something. But when i was leaving she hugged me again, started to hug me like last time and it was like it occured to her not to do it again. Ive talked to my daughter since then and her friend hasnt said anything to her about it. maybe i was busted, maybe not. But the first day and the first hug tells me, I'm bound to get busted now and then...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    My daughter ( 17 )works at Best Buy. One of her good friends she use to hang with works there too. I havent seen her friend in atleast 2 years. This is my first day carrying. I had my 642 OWB at about 4:30..iI read on here once to go low with the hugs. I tried but she went right to my gun and put her hand right on it. She didnt say anything or seem surprised, maybe she thought it was a cell phone or something. But when i was leaving she hugged me again, started to hug me like last time and it was like it occured to her not to do it again. Ive talked to my daughter since then and her friend hasnt said anything to her about it. maybe i was busted, maybe not. But the first day and the first hug tells me, I'm bound to get busted now and then...
    it's gonna happen once in a while. I have found that keeping my rt arm low and tight to me has helped. This way they hug around my arm..
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I wouldn't sweat it, I carry my cel phone on my hip, sometimes my leatherman or my knife. People bump it etc.. As long as its covered whos to know the difference except the person wearing it.

MD

So far I haven't been had but I'm sure the day will come. I think I was seen by a stranger last week at a Kmart. I was screwing around while carring my wife's purse (she asked me too- I usually don't carry one) When I gave her the purse back i noticed my shirt had ridden up and a guy was looking at me. He probably thought I was a LEO. I'm often taken for one. Got that kind of face I suppose.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

VIP Member
    i really feel she didnt know what it was. so many people are unaware of ccw, it probably wouldnt cross her mind being that young.

I usually do a little twist of the body, to put my dominant side away, with my left arm (left handed) sitting on top of my gun or just a bit above it, reach out with the right hand for the hug, then don't move your dominant, my left, until the other person has got both arms around me then just move your hand to normal, It sounds like it would be jerky or strange looking, but if you do it in a fluid movement they shouldn't put their hand anywhere near your holster.

You must master the "bladed hug" Grasshopper! :)

VIP Member
    yeah , after realizing what happened ( already) i felt i knew what i needed to do. almost like protecting a wound. it'll get natural after a while.

Hugging epidemic?

I grew up in Iowa quite a few years ago, and don't remember much "hugging" at all, in that time and place. Most of the people were the children of northern European immigrants, and hugging was not culturally acceptable, except among immediate family.

As I have grown older and moved around the country, I have gradually seen more and more hugging, often between people that barely know each other. I can't quite figure it out. I personally prefer a handshake or no contact at all. I would reserve hugging for events like seeing a brother after a 5 year absence. To hug a casual acquaintance seems excessive and insincere to me.

VIP Member
    This wasnt a casual aquaintance. She was a girl i've known since her first grade. But i dont remember where hugging was "taboo". Guess its where you grow up. Anyway, hugging seems to be a big part of my life and can happen at a moments notice, so I'm going to have to stay alert and prepared........

Always be in Condition Yellow against hugging assualts. But really, why sweat it? If they question what that lump is, just tell them it's a gun. The ladies in my circle of friends feel safer when I'm around because they know that I DO carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    i really feel she didnt know what it was. so many people are unaware of ccw, it probably wouldnt cross her mind being that young.
    Unless she comes from a gun toting family it went over her head and if she came from a gun oriented family she did not care

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Also, be careful when standing in line at a checkout. Lots of people tend to crowd into you from the back as they wait. I have found it worthwhile to always keep my right arm down and over my weapon so that if someone bumps me, they hit the arm. Also, turn slightly to your left, moving the weapon slightly to your front. (If you're right handed.)

VIP Member
    i already noticed myself kinda keeping my arm over my carry when i was near bumping into someone. some people ya just dont know how they're gonna react. like if one of my daughters friends went home and told her parents i carried. some parents may hesitate letting their daughter in the car with me or be at our home. ( you know the type ) it wouldnt be fair to my daughter to say "well then get a new friend". of course i'd TRY to talk to the parents if i was aware of a problem..

Most people are oblivious to carry. She may or may not have figured it out but O'well no harm done. ;)
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links