Concealed carry jacket issue

This is a discussion on Concealed carry jacket issue within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to concealed carry but have been open carrying for awhile. I am conceal carrying a G19 in a Galco KingTuk. It is extremely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Concealed carry jacket issue

Concealed carry jacket issue

I'm new to concealed carry but have been open carrying for awhile. I am conceal carrying a G19 in a Galco KingTuk. It is extremely comfortable and I forget it's even there sitting down 12+ hours a day with it on I can't even feel it. However the problem I'm having is with my jacket. Whenever I get up from my chair or out of my car my jacket gets bunched up over the butt of the gun (pushed up over the butt of the gun) partially exposing it. I have put my KingTuk clips into the upper holes so it tucks the gun very deep in my pants and it still has not alleviated the problem. What are some good jackets that you can recommend for conceal carry or materials? I'm a skinny guy and want to wear something fitting. I am wearing a Medium sized jacket that is already pretty large in the chest area, I don't want to wear a parachute.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I generally wear a BDU jacket in cool weather, and an M-65 in cold weather. For dress, I wear a leather jacket of a similar length. I never have the problems you describe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Fitting" and CC don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Increasing the holster cant may help, a loose jacket may help, but in all reality, it's probably something you're gonna have to be aware of and handle discreetly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I usually just discreetly hang onto the bottom of my shirt as I get up, making sure I pull the back down so it doesn't bunch. You could do the same with your jacket. Nobody will notice unless they are stalking you just waiting for you to get up so they can get a glimpse of your butt. If there is anyone doing that, they probably know you carry anyway...
    British by birth. American by choice.

So you are wearing an IWB tuckable holster outside of your shirt and you are using a jacket for a cover garment? Your shirt should be your primary cover garment. I'm not sure what to do about your jacket. Is is a windbreaker, sweatshirt, fleece, lightweight coat, etc? Have you tried casually adjusting your jacket before you get up? Don't make a spectacle of yourself. I wear a CBST (same concept as the KingTuk) with an A-shirt undershirt and an untucked shirt for a cover garment. The shirts I wear for work are of a non-preferred material so I wear a photography/fishing type vest to help with printing.

A parachute may come in handy some day, don't knock wearing one.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

if you are not tucking your shirt into you tuckable holster you are defeating the purpose. If you are wearing a suit jacket of sport coat you could have them let it out some. If it is a regular jacket you will prob have to adapt to being concious of it and discreetly adjusting as you stand.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    if you are not tucking your shirt into you tuckable holster you are defeating the purpose. If you are wearing a suit jacket of sport coat you could have them let it out some. If it is a regular jacket you will prob have to adapt to being concious of it and discreetly adjusting as you stand.

With the configuration of my holster I have nothing to tuck my shirt into. I got a lightweight REI windbreaker (albeit very expensive for a very thin piece of fabric) for summertime concealing. I am going to go back and exchange it for the same jacket in black to help alleviate this problem even further.

Good thing you are in WA. Wearing a windbreaker around here, in June, is like standing in the middle of an intersection screaming "Hey! Everybody look at the pistol I'm carrying."
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Not sure if you mean suit jacket or just a jacket. A vest works quite well. As for me in hotter than heck FL I wear 4xlt v neck t shirts. 90% of the time.

I just wear oversized button down shirts and they cover my Glock19 extremely well. A jacket would conceal it like the dark side of the moon lol. What a few others have mentioned here is what my ccw instructor told us all when the issue of printing of such came up. "No one is looking at you that closely anyways. If they are you should probably ask them out ;)"

p.s. Love that song too Stardog Champion!

VIP Member
    Not familiar with the KingTuk holster. If the cant is adjustable on it, going to a more radical cant might solve the problem.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
    I'm new to concealed carry but have been open carrying for awhile. I am conceal carrying a G19 in a Galco KingTuk. It is extremely comfortable and I forget it's even there sitting down 12+ hours a day with it on I can't even feel it. However the problem I'm having is with my jacket. Whenever I get up from my chair or out of my car my jacket gets bunched up over the butt of the gun (pushed up over the butt of the gun) partially exposing it. I have put my KingTuk clips into the upper holes so it tucks the gun very deep in my pants and it still has not alleviated the problem. What are some good jackets that you can recommend for conceal carry or materials? I'm a skinny guy and want to wear something fitting. I am wearing a Medium sized jacket that is already pretty large in the chest area, I don't want to wear a parachute.
    Might try a slightly longer jacket, keep the gun between your shirt and the jacket. Or just something you remember to do when get up, pull the jacket bottom down. Do it enough it becomes second-nature. Either one.

I have a White Hat MaxTuck, which is the same thing as the Crossbreed and Galco tuckable holsters. I dont tuck my shirt in, but under a regular tshirt, its great. When I carry a big pistol, like my G22, I have the same problem when wearing just a tshirt. I just wear it more around 3 o'clock so it isnt near my back. It helps somewhat, but sometimes, you just need to readjust your shirt/pants when you stand up.

It doesnt look akward or anything... Many people readjust their clothes when they get up.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Living in south central Florida I can count the number of jacket days on one hand. I would love to be able to wear one as routine cover. Even on a cool morning, going into a store would have me soaked to the skin if I didn't remove even a light wind-breaker and by afternoon it's too hot for anything but a tee shirt. Alas, my choices are pocket carry and/or pocket carry.

Buy a tall jacket in your size the extra length should help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links