Looking for a little knowledge from the NC members

This is a discussion on Looking for a little knowledge from the NC members within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All, I'm fairly new to the CCW world. I've taken a handgun safety & CCW class, but still have questions regarding CCW. During my ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By noway2
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: Looking for a little knowledge from the NC members

Hey All,

I'm fairly new to the CCW world. I've taken a handgun safety & CCW class, but still have questions regarding CCW. During my CCW class I was told I could not have a handgun on the property of the hospital where I work, not even in my locked car. This is a huge concern for me, as I narrowly escaped an attack several months ago on my way to work. I work nights and in the highest crime rate area around and would feel a lot more comfortable having a CCW with me on my way to work.

I have read everything on the topic I have been able to find, including my CCW booklet several times. Everything that I've read states that a weapon cannot be on hospital property during a demonstration. My problem is that I want it to be as simple as ABC or 123. IMO, it should be black and white and spelled out clearly for all to understand. Anyone have any insight? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It depends on whether or not the hospital is part of a school. In and of themselves, hospitals are not off limits. However, hospitals like UNC, which are in the middle of a college campus are by virtue of being in a school. A private facility could post against it too.

There is currently HB 937, which passed the house and is sitting in senate committee (like last year), which would fix this problem. My advice would be to check out GRNC and get on board with the push to move this bill through the legislature. (They had an alert update about it today).
    msgt/ret likes this.

The hospital that is affiliated with a school like a college is not the only case where carry is illegal. If it has an educational aspect such as a nurses training or a doctors training that is operated by any board of education or school board of trustees it and it's property is off limits for carry. Many Hospitals fall under this category that don't have a direct tie to a university.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    That is the biggest problem with NC carry laws; they are clear as mud and open for different interpretations. Hopefully HB 937 will clarify them somewhat.
    Bonernor likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks All!

Yes, hopefully HB937 will clarify things. I have been keeping an eye on what the NCGA is doing, and am even signed up for e-mail alerts to changes on that particular bill. Time will tell...I just wished that it was all written out very clearly for all to understand with no room for interpretation. A girl can always want, right?

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    ALL the hospitals around me are posted anyway "No weapons allowed"....even so Baptist Hospital is part of Wake Forest University and would be off limits anyway.....under current statue ......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I fully understand the desire to be armed. But a gun is not your only choice. Look into some quality pepper spray, fox labs or Sabre Red, and carry that. It's perfectly legal on educational property. As a matter of fact, most college LE agencies recommend women carry it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsored Links