Defensive Carry banner

Gun free zones - what do you do?

6K views 74 replies 48 participants last post by  Tala 
#1 ·
Just a warning. Don't say "always carry never tell". This thread isn't intended to get anyone in trouble!

What I'm getting at is if you have to leave your gun behind to attend mass, watch your kid's softball game or meet a friend for a few drinks, what do you do instead of carry your gun?

I currently have my trusty knife but I was thinking of adding pepper spray to my gun-free-zone arsenal. Just in case. I usually won't have pepper spray and a gun at the same time. It'll be one or the other. It would be gun shaped like the one shown in the link below and sitting in my LCP pocket holster. When needed the draw stroke and pulling the trigger will be similar enough for my muscle memory to take over. My thoughts at least.

http://www.pepperspraysetc.com/mace-pepper-gun.html

What does everyone else do when you're forced to go gunless?

#2 ·
When entering a gun free zone I lock my gun in my vehicle (unloaded). I never carry in a gun free zone. Also, I don't carry pepper spray ever, but maybe I should consider it. I will say, I don't like gun free zones and avoid them. Just a bunch of "targets" walking around.

#3 ·
...I carry in church, my kids just played town league sports, and I drink at home...at least I did when I drank a beer with my middle son before he went off to boot camp...

...jury duty's the only place I haven't been able to carry in many years...then I grumble and gripe a lot...

#4 ·
I leave my gun at home if I know I'll be going to a "gun-free zone", which is seldom.

Everything else stays the same, so I still carry my pepper spray and knife.

I carry those things even when I have my gun. Non-lethal options are an essential part of the self defense package in my opinion.

#9 ·
My view completely. So life is full of risks. Guns and alcohol don't mix, and if it is a no carry zone so be it.

#7 ·
Well I am lucky because I can say I do not drink and I do not go to gun free zones. I will not get myself into trouble because of the lack of understanding of such a sign plus knowing that if I went into these areas and if some thing did happen I would never forgive myself for not being able to stop the threat because I could have made a differance

#8 ·
I feel there are two types of gun-free zones... Courthouses/city council chambers/pro sporting events/sterile areas in airports, which are ACTUALLY illegal to carry in, and they will either pat you down or make you walk through a metal detector. Thats an ACTUAL gun-free zone. I dont carry in those areas because I physically/legally cannot... And Im mostly ok with that, because I know that nobody else except authorized people will have weapons on them in those areas.

Then there are areas that just say "no guns allowed". Ive never personally seen one here in Florida, but according to my state's law, if private property posts a sign saying "No Guns Allowed", it holds no legal weight, and is more or less just the property owner asking you to be courteous of his request. If for some reason they did see you carrying (isnt it called "concealed" carry for a reason?), they can ask you to leave. If you dont, the charge is trespassing, not a gun crime or anything of the like.

So in a hypothetical situation where I was saw a place (lets just say a basic type of store/office) that I would be a customer in, I would either just disregard since I would not be breaking a law, or more likely just support another store/office/etc that supports my rights.

#12 ·
I feel there are two types of gun-free zones... Courthouses/city council chambers/pro sporting events/sterile areas in airports, which are ACTUALLY illegal to carry in, and they will either pat you down or make you walk through a metal detector. Thats an ACTUAL gun-free zone. I dont carry in those areas because I physically/legally cannot... And Im mostly ok with that, because I know that nobody else except authorized people will have weapons on them in those areas.

Then there are areas that just say "no guns allowed". Ive never personally seen one here in Florida, but according to my state's law, if private property posts a sign saying "No Guns Allowed", it holds no legal weight, and is more or less just the property owner asking you to be courteous of his request. If for some reason they did see you carrying (isnt it called "concealed" carry for a reason?), they can ask you to leave. If you dont, the charge is trespassing, not a gun crime or anything of the like.

So in a hypothetical situation where I was saw a place (lets just say a basic type of store/office) that I would be a customer in, I would either just disregard since I would not be breaking a law, or more likely just support another store/office/etc that supports my rights.
If you refuse to leave a place that has ordered you to leave, you CAN be arrested for trespassing. If however, you are asked to leave and refuse, if carrying a weapon...you could be charged with 'armed trespassing', and this can be a more serious charge.

The reason being, if you are arrested, you will be searched...a gun?...bingo...you'll win the big prize.:yup::pokey:

Reactions: Rock and Glock
#11 ·
Yes..very simple answer...What part of Gun free might you be having a problem with? Here in NC...if you are caught in a gun free zone with one, you loose the gun and your license and never to be restored...likewise with consuming and carrying......

Once you decide to carry and have a CCL there are just certain things you have to know you don't do.....You can avoid free zones to some extent but never entirely.
My training, my license, my handguns cost tooooooo much to throw away over something stupid.

#18 ·
Likewise. Gun free zones don't see me or get any of my money. Shame on them the nitwits.

#15 ·
I can't carry at work. So I don't. The only other places I can't carry is court room in session, police station and jail/prisons. My doctors office is posted, but I am still legal to carry there. Oh and the post office.

#16 ·
Like Snub44 said, I grumble & gripe a lot...

I haven't carried anything else if I can't carry a weapon. I should rethink that I'm sure but I'm rarely in gun free zones. The kids schools, which I barely go to unless there's a meeting or function & I can't carry at work, but often have it in the car. Otherwise I don't go to bars, sporting events or police stations...

#17 ·
Why would you not carry OC spray, along with your firearm?
OC spray maybe just the thing in an unarmed attack.

Anyway, this is the kind I carry while working, can't carry(can but boss says its a no-no) and every other time I'm out.

Fox Labs International

Scroll down, first one , small yellow 11g can.

I went to Comerica Park, (something I rarely do) and it was ok.
Locked the pistol in the case in the car, went in with the wife, and came out 8 innings later(tigers were winning real good) Saturday April 6, and all was good.

I won't go to a concert, but once in a blue moon a Tigers game won't kill me (last game was at Tiger Stadium 28 years ago),

Reactions: 9MMare and DetChris
#20 ·
I don't drink and carry, which is a philosophy that has curtailed my drinking substantially.

I NEVER carry where prohibited by force of law (ie, schools, post office, etc), since getting stung for that would mean I would likely lose my CCW privileges for life.

I RARELY carry where prohibited by policy (as opposed to force of law), since I believe that property owners should have the right to determine the ground rules for their property. To me, that's just as American as 2A.

#23 ·
Gun free zones - what do you do?

What does everyone else do when you're forced to go gunless?
In my state, "no guns" signs don't have the force of law. If requested to leave, one must leave else face a possible trespass charge.

But in truly "weapons free" zones (ie, the USPS or a grade school [here]), I'd go with a pocket knife and spray. Not that I have need to go to such places.

Double-ditto, on the concept: there's nothing in a so-called gun-free (criminal empowerment) zone that I can't get elsewhere. I don't go to such places.

#24 ·
Like most of you I don't normally frequent gun free zones. But sometimes, despite my best planning I do have to go to the Post Office, Dr's office, courthouse and really enjoy going to football games. I leave my gun behind when I am going to such places and don't load myself down with all that other pepper spray and stuff. I may be old and grumpy but I try to live my life without fearing everyone I meet. I don't seem to share this constant state of fear everyone seems to live in today.

Reactions: dben002
#26 ·
I don't carry in places I'm not allowed to.

I avoid those places, but sometimes don't have a choice.

I almost always carry OC where it's legal, when I'm carrying a firearm or not.

I dislike those places, btw. I still can't understand why nobody on the anti- side understands the significance of the Fort Hood "Gun Free Zone." Scumbag starts shooting, surrounded by 400 GGs who are at least basic-marksmanship proficient but unarmed. Lots of GGs die. Two GGs with guns (much less gun than Hasan, BTW) show up and game over.

#29 ·
The problem with gun free zones is that they aren't so gun free.

Lately, they seem like an excellent place to get shot. Haven't heard much lately about mass shootings at ranges, gun shows, competitive shoots, or gun shops.

Seems odd, huh? Wait.......Maybe I'm on to something............

I leave it in the truck when I go to the post office or my son's school, just like everybody else. Sucks, but them's the rules. And contrary to the current dictator's beliefs, our kind are pretty honest folk.

#31 ·
The problem with gun free zones is that they aren't so gun free.
:yup:

Never have been. Never will be.

So long as criminals don't give two hoots about prohibitions against murder, robbery, rape and the rest, it's not as though a little finger-waggling at them regarding possession of arms is going to stop them. Surprise, surprise.

#35 ·
While I prefer to carry whenever I can, I sometimes need to leave the gun at home. I want to live my life, and I don't let the inability to carry 24/7 rule my life. I have kids in school, and sometimes I need to be on school property. And my polling place is at a school, too, so I vote without my EDC.

I also go to professional sporting events. I don't attempt to carry into those venues. Just not worth it as many use wands and some will do pat downs.

#36 ·
My workplace has a "no guns" sign. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at that sign and felt a wave of gratitude wash over me, thinking of all the terrible violence it's prevented...

Anyway, I think a good tactical flashlight is a highly underrated defense tool. For $50-$100 you can get a light bright enough to take away an attacker's vision instantly if it's dark, and even in broad daylight give you a fighting chance to disrupt a gunman's aim if you're cornered. You can get one with a "glass breaker" bezel, but even without that a solid metal light can be effective for striking. Tactically it's useful for improving your situational awareness in dark areas, not to mention being useful in the hundred non-defense ways a bright flashlight can be useful. And there are very few places where anyone would even look at you funny for having a flashlight, let alone make you leave it in the car.

If you can't tell, I like them flashlights and always carry one. Now if only they'd let us buy those fancy laser dazzlers the Army has...

#39 ·
I don't carry my pistol where it is prohibited by law. I do carry a knife with me at all times, Except where those are prohibited as well.
With that said, I have been training in 3 different martial arts for pushing 10 years now and don't plan to stop. MA's have become the way of life for me. They have taught me self defense on a mental level, such as awareness and avoidance as much if not more so than the physical one.

As for other weapons, other than guns and knives.... I agree that, canes are awesome: I keep one in my truck.

and keys can be good.

With the right mind, anything can be used as a weapon... even an ice cream cone. :smile:

Reactions: Rock and Glock
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.