Gun free zones - what do you do?

This is a discussion on Gun free zones - what do you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a warning. Don't say "always carry never tell". This thread isn't intended to get anyone in trouble! What I'm getting at is if you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Gun free zones - what do you do?

Gun free zones - what do you do?

Just a warning. Don't say "always carry never tell". This thread isn't intended to get anyone in trouble!

What I'm getting at is if you have to leave your gun behind to attend mass, watch your kid's softball game or meet a friend for a few drinks, what do you do instead of carry your gun?

I currently have my trusty knife but I was thinking of adding pepper spray to my gun-free-zone arsenal. Just in case. I usually won't have pepper spray and a gun at the same time. It'll be one or the other. It would be gun shaped like the one shown in the link below and sitting in my LCP pocket holster. When needed the draw stroke and pulling the trigger will be similar enough for my muscle memory to take over. My thoughts at least.

http://www.pepperspraysetc.com/mace-pepper-gun.html

What does everyone else do when you're forced to go gunless?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    When entering a gun free zone I lock my gun in my vehicle (unloaded). I never carry in a gun free zone. Also, I don't carry pepper spray ever, but maybe I should consider it. I will say, I don't like gun free zones and avoid them. Just a bunch of "targets" walking around.
    .45acpguy, marcclarke and Exacto like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

...I carry in church, my kids just played town league sports, and I drink at home...at least I did when I drank a beer with my middle son before he went off to boot camp...

...jury duty's the only place I haven't been able to carry in many years...then I grumble and gripe a lot...
    USM1976 likes this.

I leave my gun at home if I know I'll be going to a "gun-free zone", which is seldom.

Everything else stays the same, so I still carry my pepper spray and knife.

I carry those things even when I have my gun. Non-lethal options are an essential part of the self defense package in my opinion.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I will not drink and carry and will not carry in designated areas.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I leave my gun at home if I know I'll be going to a "gun-free zone", which is seldom.

Everything else stays the same, so I still carry my pepper spray and knife.

I carry those things even when I have my gun. Non-lethal options are an essential part of the self defense package in my opinion.
    I'm just afraid I'll forget which is which under stress and reach for the wrong one for the given situation. But maybe in time I'll carry both.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Well I am lucky because I can say I do not drink and I do not go to gun free zones. I will not get myself into trouble because of the lack of understanding of such a sign plus knowing that if I went into these areas and if some thing did happen I would never forgive myself for not being able to stop the threat because I could have made a differance

I feel there are two types of gun-free zones... Courthouses/city council chambers/pro sporting events/sterile areas in airports, which are ACTUALLY illegal to carry in, and they will either pat you down or make you walk through a metal detector. Thats an ACTUAL gun-free zone. I dont carry in those areas because I physically/legally cannot... And Im mostly ok with that, because I know that nobody else except authorized people will have weapons on them in those areas.

Then there are areas that just say "no guns allowed". Ive never personally seen one here in Florida, but according to my state's law, if private property posts a sign saying "No Guns Allowed", it holds no legal weight, and is more or less just the property owner asking you to be courteous of his request. If for some reason they did see you carrying (isnt it called "concealed" carry for a reason?), they can ask you to leave. If you dont, the charge is trespassing, not a gun crime or anything of the like.

So in a hypothetical situation where I was saw a place (lets just say a basic type of store/office) that I would be a customer in, I would either just disregard since I would not be breaking a law, or more likely just support another store/office/etc that supports my rights.
    Ghost1958, ccw9mm and Oldpsufan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I will not drink and carry and will not carry in designated areas.
    My view completely. So life is full of risks. Guns and alcohol don't mix, and if it is a no carry zone so be it.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Dont drink, did have jury duty last month, an had grandsons recital last week. Love my grandson but that was two hours I would like to get back. Thats why you cant carry there you might shoot yourself.
    Hoganbeg, DetChris, Lish and 7 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Yes..very simple answer...What part of Gun free might you be having a problem with? Here in NC...if you are caught in a gun free zone with one, you loose the gun and your license and never to be restored...likewise with consuming and carrying......

Once you decide to carry and have a CCL there are just certain things you have to know you don't do.....You can avoid free zones to some extent but never entirely.
    My training, my license, my handguns cost tooooooo much to throw away over something stupid.
    Exacto likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I feel there are two types of gun-free zones... Courthouses/city council chambers/pro sporting events/sterile areas in airports, which are ACTUALLY illegal to carry in, and they will either pat you down or make you walk through a metal detector. Thats an ACTUAL gun-free zone. I dont carry in those areas because I physically/legally cannot... And Im mostly ok with that, because I know that nobody else except authorized people will have weapons on them in those areas.

Then there are areas that just say "no guns allowed". Ive never personally seen one here in Florida, but according to my state's law, if private property posts a sign saying "No Guns Allowed", it holds no legal weight, and is more or less just the property owner asking you to be courteous of his request. If for some reason they did see you carrying (isnt it called "concealed" carry for a reason?), they can ask you to leave. If you dont, the charge is trespassing, not a gun crime or anything of the like.

So in a hypothetical situation where I was saw a place (lets just say a basic type of store/office) that I would be a customer in, I would either just disregard since I would not be breaking a law, or more likely just support another store/office/etc that supports my rights.
    If you refuse to leave a place that has ordered you to leave, you CAN be arrested for trespassing. If however, you are asked to leave and refuse, if carrying a weapon...you could be charged with 'armed trespassing', and this can be a more serious charge.

The reason being, if you are arrested, you will be searched...a gun?...bingo...you'll win the big prize.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Nothing I need in a gun free zone, that I can't get elsewhere. I avoid them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you refuse to leave a place that has ordered you to leave, you CAN be arrested for trespassing. If however, you are asked to leave and refuse, if carrying a weapon...you could be charged with 'armed trespassing', and this can be a more serious charge.

The reason being, if you are arrested, you will be searched...a gun?...bingo...you'll win the big prize.
    Each state is different for sure....here in NC the No Weapons Allowed posted has the full backing and enforcement a state law...no weapons allowed and gun free zones are no different here.....Check your state laws
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I can't carry at work. So I don't. The only other places I can't carry is court room in session, police station and jail/prisons. My doctors office is posted, but I am still legal to carry there. Oh and the post office.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links