St Louis Zoo and CC

This is a discussion on St Louis Zoo and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; May be taking the family to the St Louis zoo in the coming weeks. Two questions. 1) is the zoo considered a "gated part of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 357and40

Thread: St Louis Zoo and CC

St Louis Zoo and CC

May be taking the family to the St Louis zoo in the coming weeks. Two questions.

1) is the zoo considered a "gated part of an amusement park" and therefore CC is banned?

2) If no to 1, is it posted with "no firearms allowed" signs?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I was just there, you are go to go. I looked everywhere for signs and never saw any. signs carry no weight in Missouri anyway.

If your state has such a "gated amusement park" prohibition in its weapons statutes, then it's fair to say that a spot where you pay for a ticket is just that (the "gated" portion). It's most certainly an amusement park.

A "No firearms allowed" sign's validity depends on whether such signage holds the force of law in your state, whether violation constitutes a crime, or whether you're merely held to be required to leave if separately asked to do so (or risk a trespass charge). Some would argue it's hard to say you've not been informed, already, given the signs. Your choice, presuming your state's signs don't hold the force of law.

* Obviously, I'm unfamiliar with MO's specific statutes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    I was just there, you are go to go. I looked everywhere for signs and never saw any. signs carry no weight in Missouri anyway.
    Great thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If your state has such a "gated amusement park" prohibition in its weapons statutes, then it's fair to say that a spot where you pay for a ticket is just that (the "gated" portion). It's most certainly an amusement park.

A "No firearms allowed" sign's validity depends on whether such signage holds the force of law in your state, whether violation constitutes a crime, or whether you're merely held to be required to leave if separately asked to do so (or risk a trespass charge). Some would argue it's hard to say you've not been informed, already, given the signs. Your choice, presuming your state's signs don't hold the force of law.

* Obviously, I'm unfamiliar with MO's specific statutes.
    admission is free to this zoo. I am from IL, but have my Utah permit, which is recognized by MO. Signs do not carry force of law in MO, but I do my best to avoid posted places.

Quote Originally Posted by askoop View Post
    admission is free to this zoo. I am from IL, but have my Utah permit, which is recognized by MO. Signs do not carry force of law in MO, but I do my best to avoid posted places.
    But, regarding the gate: If you can't get in at 2am, it's likely because of a gate. It's open when you're entering, sure, but it's still a gated area. What about that part? Non-issue, for CHL's, via specific exception ... or what?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

MJK
    I live just outside the city limits not far from the zoo and run in Forest Park frequently. As mentioned earlier admission is free and I don't recall seeing any gun buster signs so you should be ok to carry there if you have a permit recognized by Missouri.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    But, regarding the gate: If you can't get in at 2am, it's likely because of a gate. It's open when you're entering, sure, but it's still a gated area. What about that part? Non-issue, for CHL's, via specific exception ... or what?
    makes sense.

handgunlaw.us says...

Prohibited areas...

(13)
    Any gated area of an amusement park. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the
    amusement park shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or
    brandished while the vehicle is on the premises

The St Louis Zoo is NOT an amusement park. Admission is free by City ordinance. Of course they make up for it by charging an exorbitant amount to park.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I carried there last year. I called the zoo and verified they are a private entity, not owned by the state.
    I could find no information on their premises or website about the allowance of guns.

You can always call them and ask... (314) 781-0900
    9MMare likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by askoop View Post
    makes sense.

handgunlaw.us says...

Prohibited areas...

(13)
    Any gated area of an amusement park. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the
    amusement park shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or
    brandished while the vehicle is on the premises
    and afew lines down it says

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act

Links