Article: With Stand Your Ground Laws Still Standing, Two AL Shooters Escape Liabilty

This is a discussion on Article: With Stand Your Ground Laws Still Standing, Two AL Shooters Escape Liabilty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of "stand your ground cases" in the news from Alabama this week: Link to article on the first case (woman walking dog feared ...

Thread: Article: With Stand Your Ground Laws Still Standing, Two AL Shooters Escape Liabilty

Article: With Stand Your Ground Laws Still Standing, Two AL Shooters Escape Liabilty

A couple of "stand your ground cases" in the news from Alabama this week:

Link to article on the first case (woman walking dog feared attack) is here.

Link to article on second case (shooting followed assault with a wrench) is here.

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately the second article won't come up unless you subscribe to their service... foolish idiots, nobody ever subscribes. Oh well, just good to know they won't be charged.

Sorry about that...it popped up for me. Summary:

[Defendant] told sheriff’s office investigators he went to [BG]'s home March 18, 2011, to talk with his ex-girlfriend. testimony showed [BG] threatened [Defendant] several times with a large socket wrench while the men were involved in a verbal altercation.

[Defendant] drove away and [BG] followed with both men stopping at the intersection of Viking Lane and Autauga County 57. testimony revealed [BG] struck the back of [Defendant]’s truck with the tool, as he continued to threaten [Defendant]. At that point, [Defendant] shot him once in the chest.

“[Defendant] had mere seconds to react to a man that was threatening to bash his brains in with a 2-foot-long breaker bar,” his attorney said. “We believed in [Defendant] from the beginning, and the evidence was clear that he was acting in self defense.”

Again, apologies for the subscriber link.

From the first article:

"Relying on the "Castle Law" this was ruled justifiable by the district attorney's office,'' said Chief Deputy Randy Christian. "We don't disagree with that. I wished we knew what his intent was and why he didn't stop, but those are questions that will go unanswered."

It seems to me that if someone has been warned that you are armed and to stop, and they don't stop, then their intentions are pretty self-evident. Good call on the part of the DA.

In the second article, as described by southernwi, the guy made a huge mistake. Yes, he had the right to defend himself where ever he happens to be, but he never should have stopped and gotten out of the car at the intersection in the first place. If he had just kept on driving, perhaps to the local police station, he probably would not have to deal with the emotional trauma of having just killed a man.

Let's see if this article on the second link I posted above is available to people: Deatsville man acquitted in 2011 shooting death; argued Stand Your Ground Law | al.com

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    but those are questions that will go unanswered."
    Exactly. Precisely.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Castle Laws, got to love them. Way better than the "Duty to Retreat" mentality it replaced.

We have that type law again in West Virginia. I guess Lawmakers finally got tired of criminals having more rights than their victims and decided to really do something about it instead of punishing the Law Abiding gun owners.

Most of the Law Enforcement guys I talk with are firm believers in Castle Law. Having the ability to defend yourself, even with deadly force is the real deterrent to crime, not some stupid gun restriction law.

Here's to making all criminal activity deadly.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Links