Should I take an extra gun?

This is a discussion on Should I take an extra gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not talking about carrying a back up gun. I am leaving on vacation soon and traveling only through states that accept my CCW. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Should I take an extra gun?

Should I take an extra gun?

I am not talking about carrying a back up gun. I am leaving on vacation soon and traveling only through states that accept my CCW. Of my handguns, I only carry two of them (only one at a time) and those two are the most important to me, for obvious reasons. They are the two I shoot the most and the two that protect me and my family. I always carry two extra mags regardless of which of my guns I have on me. My question is, should I bring both along on vacation or leave one at home. I feel like I might be putting my eggs in one basket if I bring along both, but I would like to hear what others have done on longs trips. What did you do with the other gun if you brought it along. Remember: answer as if these guns are the only two I own.

2. Remove Ads

In the awful event that you have to defend yourself, the gun used will be confiscated.
    GentlemanJim likes this.

VIP Member
    As long as you don't try to carry two in New Mexico (last I heard it was only one permitted at a time) I see no reason
    to not bring both.

I am assuming you will travel by private vehicle. It might be prudent to have a locked safe in the trunk for the one not
    on your person at any given moment.

I believe that as much as practically possible what you have should either be on your person or stored in a way which
    will keep them safe from thieves, or render them inoperable if stolen.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

There's no such thing a an "extra gun." An "extra" is one more than "enough," and there's no such thing as enough guns.

Sorry, on to your question. If I would only carry one at a time, I'd only bring one along. I wouldn't want to leave the other one in a hotel room, car outside the hotel, or wherever I can't truly secure it. Now, I might argue that you should carry BOTH at the same time, but that might be too difficult on vacation, even if you normally carried both.
    Yetiman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    In the awful event that you have to defend yourself, the gun used will be confiscated.
    This does support having an extra gun? Although I would be in custody so second gun would be pointless.

Clear case of a good shoot, gun is confiscated as evidence. Good LAC shooter is not.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    I would be in custody
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion...
    Aceoky likes this.

MJK
    I would bring only one. That way you have to secure only one and don't have to expend additional energy securing the second while on vacation.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Have traveled quite a bit, almost always to states that fully recognize my CHL. Have always taken my gun, often my BUG as well. And I've made sure to take many magazines, along with a reasonable supply of spare ammo. On a few occasions, when I knew I would be heading out into "the wilds" (ie, camping), I also took one of my lever-action rifles.

Unless you're legally required to not have them with you, I can't see a good reason to not have them with you.

Of course, your question about possible loss of them all in a self-defense situation's aftermath is a good one. You might well not see them for some time, leaving you unarmed. But then, you'd have survived the situation, and I'd bet that immediately rearming yourself wouldn't be tops on your list of priorities at that point. Up to you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertygold View Post
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion...
    Detained may have been a better word, but I would certainly not be allowed to continue about my vacation even after a justified self defense shooting. Like it or not, a justified self defense shooting is a guilty until proven innocent situation.
    nicholasv00 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I would bring only one. That way you have to secure only one and don't have to expend additional energy securing the second while on vacation.
    Agreed. I always leave the spare tire at home for similar reasons.
    ironmike86 and Ransom like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

...when I leave my home area, I carry two more than the ones I personally carry...if I go out 100+miles, I add a long gun to the mix...if my vehicle breaks down and I must leave it to get help, I want my family to be well armed till I return...I have two good shooters in my wife and son...I don't want to be bitten by the "ifonlyIda" bug...
    ironmike86, bmcgilvray and tdave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    I am not talking about carrying a back up gun. I am leaving on vacation soon and traveling only through states that accept my CCW. Of my handguns, I only carry two of them (only one at a time) and those two are the most important to me, for obvious reasons. They are the two I shoot the most and the two that protect me and my family. I always carry two extra mags regardless of which of my guns I have on me. My question is, should I bring both along on vacation or leave one at home. I feel like I might be putting my eggs in one basket if I bring along both, but I would like to hear what others have done on longs trips. What did you do with the other gun if you brought it along. Remember: answer as if these guns are the only two I own.
    Do you normally carry 2 on you everyday? (You say no, no back up gun) Are you anticipating one getting stolen? If so, then I'd expect the same threat to all your family's possessions.

Personally I would just pay more attention to securing our belongings and our situations. I'd carry normally. And not add more stress to a *vacation.*
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Clear case of a good shoot, gun is confiscated as evidence. Good LAC shooter is not.
    But odds are, if he is involved in a situation I highly doubt he will be up to continue his vacation as if nothing happened.

Right?

I carry two guns everyday. One that's on my person, the other is locked away in a car safe. I usually only carry one with me when I'm on vacation, but that's subject to where and how Im traveling and going. My only concern with carrying two guns while away from home base would be making sure that both are secured at all times. If you have that covered, I'd say go for it. A larger number of firearms while traveling on vacation could look kind of suspicious to the authorities if you happen upon any while out and about. In this day and age and with the attitude of the law enforcement community where you will be traveling (which is a total unknown) may prove troublesome and not worth the risk. I'd say make double sure you know all the state regulations before you enter in and throughout the states you will be traveling; Especially the "must inform" if stopped requirements. Stay safe...
    9MMare likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links