Illinois CCW??.. .. Open Carry Info .. .. Thank You!

This is a discussion on Illinois CCW??.. .. Open Carry Info .. .. Thank You! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Illinois is still up in the air with their carry law. Some are even saying they just might not pass anything and let local governments ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoveman

Thread: Illinois CCW??.. .. Open Carry Info .. .. Thank You!

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Illinois CCW??.. .. Open Carry Info .. .. Thank You!

Illinois is still up in the air with their carry law. Some are even saying they just might not pass anything and let local governments have total control. If this happens there will be hundreds of carry laws in Illinois and cataloging them all would be impossible for Handgunlaw.us. This would be a total mess. They have until June 9th to come up with a bill. We will know in the next couple of weeks how things will play out in Illinois. I have refrained from evening reading the bills put forth as they are changing so much from one day to the next.

Handgunlaw.us has just added an “Open Carry Without a Permit/License” Section to each states page. It doesn’t go into great detail about Open Carry but states if it is legal or not and gives people other resources to checkout for more information on the subject. If you have time I would appreciate you checking out your states new Open Carry Section and give me any feedback on what it contains. Do check out a couple other states Open Carry Section as you will see most give the same basic info. Please email me ( admins@handgunlaw.us ) with any feedback or by clicking on “Contact Us” at the bottom of the main page at Handgunlaw.us I will definitely see that and can miss a Private Message. I try to read every reply to my posts but I also have family that comes first.

Handgunlaw.us over the years has added other info to each states page based mainly on the questions I receive from those who use the site. I believe I have answered every relevant email I have received. I don’t always have an answer to their question and in those instances try to steer them to someone who can give them an answer. Please give me time to respond to any emails you send. I also depend on people just like you to give me a heads up on law changes that happen in the different states. I couldn’t do this all by myself. “Thank You” for all your assistance over the years! It is very much appreciated!!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

That site has been a great resource for me since I first began considering carrying. I have relatives in Iowa, so getting clarification on the Illinois situation will help us plan whether we can take the more direct route to visit family (through Illinois) or the more circuitous route through southwestern Wisconsin.

VIP Member
    I don't look for Illinois to honor any of the permits the rest of us carry, regardless of how the licensing there progresses.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Illinois is still up in the air with their carry law. Some are even saying they just might not pass anything and let local governments have total control. If this happens there will be hundreds of carry laws in Illinois and cataloging them all would be impossible for Handgunlaw.us. This would be a total mess. They have until June 9th to come up with a bill. We will know in the next couple of weeks how things will play out in Illinois. I have refrained from evening reading the bills put forth as they are changing so much from one day to the next.

Handgunlaw.us has just added an “Open Carry Without a Permit/License” Section to each states page. It doesn’t go into great detail about Open Carry but states if it is legal or not and gives people other resources to checkout for more information on the subject. If you have time I would appreciate you checking out your states new Open Carry Section and give me any feedback on what it contains. Do check out a couple other states Open Carry Section as you will see most give the same basic info. Please email me ( admins@handgunlaw.us ) with any feedback or by clicking on “Contact Us” at the bottom of the main page at Handgunlaw.us I will definitely see that and can miss a Private Message. I try to read every reply to my posts but I also have family that comes first.

Handgunlaw.us over the years has added other info to each states page based mainly on the questions I receive from those who use the site. I believe I have answered every relevant email I have received. I don’t always have an answer to their question and in those instances try to steer them to someone who can give them an answer. Please give me time to respond to any emails you send. I also depend on people just like you to give me a heads up on law changes that happen in the different states. I couldn’t do this all by myself. “Thank You” for all your assistance over the years! It is very much appreciated!!
    Ah.....spoken like a true politician who has not the courage of his convictions and is afraid of falling off the fence and hurting himself.......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Gary, you guys do a great job over there keeping us all up to date.
    Badey likes this.

A new ccw bill "compromise" is supposed to be brought to the floor tomorrow. The most recent bill has out of state fee at $300 and you guessed it...they won't honor any other state ccw. They actually have until tomorrow to get something done unless they go into overtime as tomorrow is the end of regular session. We shall see what happens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't look for Illinois to honor any of the permits the rest of us carry, regardless of how the licensing there progresses.
    shhhh...don't burst my bubble of hope!
    Last edited by southernwi; May 30th, 2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Great site, by the way, Gary. It's a good resource, to be sure. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'd just be happy if they'd allow peaceable journey for those otherwise lawful to carry elsewhere. It'd be nice to cease criminalizing upstanding citizens for merely cutting off a couple hundred miles of a trip by going through IL. But, like you, I'm not holding my breath.

I can't imagine any political hack in IL, even there, would want to inflict upon its people the mish-mash of local free-for-all ordinances that would arise. Even they're not stupid enough to ignore the almost-certain backlash they'd have to withstand, if that were to come about.

Time for them to smell the cesspool and do what's right (within the unconstitutional limitations deemed acceptable these days):

• Lawful concealed-carry -- with background checks, training.
    • Lawful open-carry. (Fat chance, but we'll see.)
    • Rock-solid statutes in the area of use-of-force, clearly setting on a pedestal upstanding citizens' right to defend themselves and their homes under practically all circumstances to the degree they deem necessary.
    • Pretty signs don't hold the force of law.
    • And, ideally, they stop the turnstile approach to the euphemistally-named "justice" system they've got there. Joliet could use a few more inmates who desperately deserve to die there.

Can't imagine they'll ever get to "castle" protections. They'll have to first realize that what blood does run in the streets is overwhelmingly felonious (as it should be), as the trash is taken out once and for all. First things first.

If they do those things, I'm sure time will show the sanity of lawful carry and prove the screaming anti-gunner weasels in the legislature utterly wrong.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Not much, but this went out a couple hours ago:
    Compromise reached on concealed carry in Illinois
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Actually, there may be reciprocity, the only problem will be it will require other states to have the same training requirements as Illinois is proposing, which is 16 hours. I do not know of many states that have such a heavy requirement.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

The compromise was basically to allow local's to retain control (Chicago wants to keep their "assault weapons" ban in place).

So it's still going to be an awful nightmare of a minefield where you could be perfectly legal while standing in one location, but take two steps over an invisible line and now your a felon. (This is why I stay out of IL at all costs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD9rottie View Post
    The compromise was basically to allow local's to retain control (Chicago wants to keep their "assault weapons" ban in place).

So it's still going to be an awful nightmare of a minefield where you could be perfectly legal while standing in one location, but take two steps over an invisible line and now your a felon. (This is why I stay out of IL at all costs)

I hope we have enough downstate legislators to block anything like that. I've not been following this a closely as I should, but my understanding is that if nothing is passed in a little over a week then constitutional carry goes into effect. Chicago doesn't want that, so they might be a little more willing to wheel and deal with the downstaters.

I'm basically parroting back what I read in the news, I'm not sure what the real story is.

I have not seen anything good come out of anyone named Kwame. It may happen but i haven't seen it. If anybody can show contradictory examples please feel free.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    You've probably got a better idea than I do. All I'm basing that off of is LGS gossip. We all know how reliable that can be at times.

Links