Can a "AOW" be carried with a CHP?

This is a discussion on Can a "AOW" be carried with a CHP? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am simply curious if a gun classified as AOW (any other weapon) can be carried concealed with a normal concealed carry permit? I don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can a "AOW" be carried with a CHP?

I am simply curious if a gun classified as AOW (any other weapon) can be carried concealed with a normal concealed carry permit? I don't know much about the rules concerning these types of guns. I am specificaly refering to one of the very short shotguns that require the $5 tax stamp such as the one pictured below. There is one for sale locally by a dealer and I think they are really neat but don't want to even consider one if I have to leave it locked up in a safe at home and just look at it occasionaly. Not that I would carry it "on me" but would be neat to keep behind my truck seat etc.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I think federal laws would come in to play here. Is a barrel less than 18" legal under federal law?
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

It varies by state. For example in SC the length between the bottom of the grip of the ccw to the end of the barrel has to be less than a certain length. It is more than likely that way to prevent people from carrying a gun like what you show.

As far as the fed gov is concerned they could care less so long as you pay the $200 tax and have the stamp. If you were to carry such a gun then you would have to carry the tax stamp paperwork along with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

my wrist hurts just looking at that thing.

looking through WA laws, i could not find anything that would prevent you from keep said weapon in your vehicle provided it is legal in the eyes of the feds.
    as far as carrying it on your person conceled, i couldnt find anything prohibiting it.

a question to the rest of you, if you put a rifled barrel on it, does that make it a pump action pistol? than that might fall in the catagory of it being a pistol and fall under normal CPL restrictions?
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

In wisconsin you couldn't carry it concealed under a Concealed Weapons License unless it was classified as a pistol. That would be a nice thing to have in a Pizza box on the passenger seat to thwart a car jacking though...
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas CHL specifies a barrel length of less than 12" and designed to be fired with one hand. It could be argued that a shotgun requires two hands to operate it.

The only other prohibition that is addressed is that no full auto handguns are allowed to be carried.

With that being said, if you wanted to carry it in your truck you could. Just keep that stamp handy in case someone questions it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    Oregon specifies a Concealed Handgun License, and defines "handguns" and "short barreled shotguns" separately, so I would imagine that it would be a no-go here.

If it must be classified as a 'pistol' (according to the 4473), you could also go with the PAP M92.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I had a Super Shorty and when purchased there was a $5 tax stamp and a long wait, not a $200 tax stamp. The felt recoil was as could be expected but not, IMO, and any worse than the 18.5"persuader with pistol grips on both ends. Does it have a purpose? Hey, it is a gun and I wanted one. The gun now resides under the counter at a local gas station/convenience store.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't know what would make the difference between that firearm as a "AOW" versus a "Short-barreled shotgun," but it clearly meets the definition of a SBS and is illegal according to FL statutes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

While having a great bling factor, Tennessee law specifies handguns. It's a "Handgun Carry Permit."
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Whoa Mama!!!

That's a weapon that kind of jogs my memory.

Anybody here remember Nick Adams as Johnny Yuma or the character James Caan played in Rio Bravo? I think that was the movie.

Double barreled, but the same basic concept.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

something I've wondered about as well, not with a shotgun though, something like this. knifegun.jpg
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Senior Moderator
    Jonny Yuma...was a rebel....he rode though the west....
    Hodad likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

but it clearly meets the definition of a SBS and is illegal according to FL statutes.
    It would if it had a buttstock,but since it has a pistol grip it's classified as am AOW (Any other Weapon) under Federal Law.Most Concealed carry permits designate handgun,the Judge revolvers get by because they are rifled barrels and not smoothbore
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links