Operation Backfire: Unintended consequences of CT gun laws.

This is a discussion on Operation Backfire: Unintended consequences of CT gun laws. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's an article on spike in CCW applications to get around other restrictions that affect hunters in Connecticut. Story leads off with the line "I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Operation Backfire: Unintended consequences of CT gun laws.

Operation Backfire: Unintended consequences of CT gun laws.

Here's an article on spike in CCW applications to get around other restrictions that affect hunters in Connecticut.

Story leads off with the line "I never planned on getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The state of Connecticut nudged me into it, by making it illegal to buy shotgun shells down at my local Wal-Mart without a license."
    Aceoky likes this.

2. Remove Ads

It is really hard to tell who is the bigger idiot -- this guy that thinks LEO in the South shoot first and ask questions later or the CT legislators.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southernwi View Post
    Here's an article on spike in CCW applications to get around other restrictions that affect hunters in Connecticut.

Story leads off with the line "I never planned on getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The state of Connecticut nudged me into it, by making it illegal to buy shotgun shells down at my local Wal-Mart without a license."
    Well, if more get their CCW, what's the problem? And the law doesn't mean you need a CCW to buy shotgun shells.

There is a less expensive and less difficult ammunition eligibility certificate which is all that is needed.

The author wrote: "And so far, navigating some of the nation’s strictest gun regulations to get the most expansive permit possible has been surprisingly easy, albeit expensive."

I don't like needing a certificate to buy ammo. I think this was overkill on the legislature's part. I remember well buying ammo
    in a rural CT hardware store at the age of 14 or so. Same with a long gun. Still, if the new law drives folks to get a CCW
    that is a positive.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'm not sure which is worse. That he needs so many permission slips. Or that he's too scared of the police to use it. Both are telling in different ways.
    Hopyard, 9MMare, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

So it makes sense to skip the certificates and go straight to the pistol permit, even if the words “concealed carry” seem faintly menacing — even to an experienced gun owner.
    Man, this guy has really been brainwashed, he's lived in Conn. toooooooooooooo loooooooong. He may not be salvageable.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Connecticut made a similar step about 15 years ago when they instituted an "eligibility certificate," essentially a permit to purchase handguns. The training requirements for the eligibility certificate were about 85% of what was required for a pistol permit, so most people who never would have done so actually went ahead and got their CCWs. That was entirely predictable to those of us in the gun arena, but not to the clueless legislators. They thought they would somehow reduce handgun ownership by putting up an intermediate administrative roadblock, but they guessed wrong.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    It appears that Mr. Fischer does not realize he has been indoctrinated within the "gun-control" bubble. His comments regarding "the South" evidence a willful ignorance of the facts and belief that a proliferation of firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens will result in the stereotypical "wild west."

He (or his editor) should be embarrassed for such a lack of professionalism.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    It is really hard to tell who is the bigger idiot -- this guy that thinks LEO in the South shoot first and ask questions later or the CT legislators.
    Does he really think that? Or is he trying to scare the gullible out of concealed carry by slandering southern LEO's?

Mr. Fisher's exact words from the article:

Let me be clear: Assuming I get a permit, I doubt I’ll use it for its intended purpose, which is to go out in public with a pistol hidden under my clothing. I spent too long down South, where you have to assume there’s a gun in every glove compartment and the cops don’t hesitate to shoot first when they think somebody is armed. The risk of getting killed because I’m packing heat probably exceeds any benefit I’d get from carrying a sidearm.

Wow. Just, wow. I can't even come up with words to say to this, other than to say that he seems to have very loose grip on reality, if indeed he's still gripping it at all.

That doofus is a serious goober.
    msgt/ret and SmokinFool like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Administrator
    which is to go out in public with a pistol hidden under my clothing.

OMG!!! I hope that nobody on this forum does anything like that!
    ANGLICO, CDW4ME, StevePVB and 2 others like this.

To paraphrase the inimitable Glen Beck, it's time for that guy to take off the little girl underwear and put on some big boy pants!

Senior Moderator
    Well, if more get their CCW, what's the problem? And the law doesn't mean you need a CCW to buy shotgun shells.

There is a less expensive and less difficult ammunition eligibility certificate which is all that is needed.

The author wrote: "And so far, navigating some of the nation’s strictest gun regulations to get the most expansive permit possible has been surprisingly easy, albeit expensive."

I don't like needing a certificate to buy ammo. I think this was overkill on the legislature's part. I remember well buying ammo
    in a rural CT hardware store at the age of 14 or so. Same with a long gun. Still, if the new law drives folks to get a CCW
    that is a positive.

That is one hosed up thought process.
    You are telling us that a bogus law that drives folks to get a licence to carry a gun is a good thing?

This is so wrong that I'm not even going to waste time on further comments.
    TX expat, OD* and Aceoky like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The guy in the article sounds like a Fudd. He may not think or know it but he too poses a threat to our rights. He sounds like the type of person who thinks the Second Amendment is about hunting and hunting related arms.

VIP Member
    Stupid article written by a stupid person. Filled with at best half facts and absolutely no research on the subject. Hopefully his permit will be denied for "Excessive Stupidity".
    gasmitty, SmokinFool and Aceoky like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links