Revolvers and semis in a carry rotation

This is a discussion on Revolvers and semis in a carry rotation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I grabbed my LCR last night and decided to have a dry fire session with it with the hopes of maybe someday get proficient enough ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Revolvers and semis in a carry rotation

I grabbed my LCR last night and decided to have a dry fire session with it with the hopes of maybe someday get proficient enough to get it back in my rotation. I retired it from my carry options due to it being "different" and lower capacity than any of my semi autos.

Well last night did nothing to add to my confidence. It actually eroded it further. The trigger is completely different from my semis. I'm used to a short reset and the "glass break" feel of my Glocks. In comparison my LCR required 1 inch of long pull and a full depress to reset. I kept messing up on my trigger pulls when I did rapid fire drills.

Working either speed strips (which are a pain to do right when done fast or under stress) or speed loaders (a lot better) is trumped by just dropping a mag and replacing it.

At the range I always struggled with the sight picture difference (having to aim lower with the LCR due to muzzle rise) and general recoil behavior that are subtly but yet significantly different from semis.

So I guess in short, my muscle memory is dedicate to semis and forcing myself to get into revolvers proves to me a huge struggle.

How many of you carry revolvers and semis in your rotation? Do you have similar issues as I've been having? How are you able to work with two distinctly different sets of muscle memories for two very different types of guns?

I have been shooting snubs for so long have no problem going back an forth. Carry either SP101 2.4 or Mod 60 or 642 90% of time but have no prob going to a shield. One thing I do have action jobs done on all revolvers either by Teddy Jacobson at Actions by T or Gemini Custom. Huge difference really makes them a joy to shoot. I always reload from speed strips at the range you would be amazed how fast you get.
    Snub44 likes this.

VIP Member
    I carry both,the snubby not often, and have never had a problem with it. Of course I learned to shoot with a revolver, so that may have something to do with it.
    Snub44 and SmokinFool like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think I've seen revolver guys transition to semis easier than the opposite. I started with semis and its hard to get into revolvers.

I switch often from a 38 to my SR9C depending on dress and perceived need.
    Not problem shooting either.

VIP Member
    What purpose does it serve in your 'carry rotation'?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    What purpose does it serve in your 'carry rotation'?
    Right now it isn't even in it. At most it'll serve as a bug. I don't trust myself to switch to a revolver as my main piece. As long as I don't have to reload it I'm ok with it

I have carried both but the Rossi .38 spl that I had was stolen. I have not replaced it, yet.

My wife (who also carries) had a Ruger LCP (sadly it to, stolen) then wanted a revolver so I got her the LCR .357 magnum. She is carrying it now.

I have a new Taurus 9mm and the S&W Bodyguard .380 but would simply love to have an LCR like what my wife has. I want to be diverse in my carry firearms and just not rely on one kind.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I had hopes of being a "generalist" too but I was super surprised how my muscle memory pushed me automatically to Glock mode. I fumbled badly with the trigger reset on the LCR. As most of you know, the trigger has to be depressed all the way with revolvers in order to reset. I kept half releasing my trigger expecting a reset during my drills. In a real life fight I would have been screwed.

I know I can overcome all of this with practice but I'm more interested in getting really good with one platform than have to flip the switch between them. Revolvers and semis (and even DAO, SAO, DA/SA) are too different.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I grabbed my LCR last night and decided to have a dry fire session with it with the hopes of maybe someday get proficient enough to get it back in my rotation. I retired it from my carry options due to it being "different" and lower capacity than any of my semi autos.

Well last night did nothing to add to my confidence. It actually eroded it further. The trigger is completely different from my semis. I'm used to a short reset and the "glass break" feel of my Glocks. In comparison my LCR required 1 inch of long pull and a full depress to reset. I kept messing up on my trigger pulls when I did rapid fire drills.

Working either speed strips (which are a pain to do right when done fast or under stress) or speed loaders (a lot better) is trumped by just dropping a mag and replacing it.

At the range I always struggled with the sight picture difference (having to aim lower with the LCR due to muzzle rise) and general recoil behavior that are subtly but yet significantly different from semis.

So I guess in short, my muscle memory is dedicate to semis and forcing myself to get into revolvers proves to me a huge struggle.

How many of you carry revolvers and semis in your rotation? Do you have similar issues as I've been having? How are you able to work with two distinctly different sets of muscle memories for two very different types of guns?
    My belief is to be consistent with the weapon system that you carry. Changing things up on a new carrier IMO can be dangerous. Even with an experience carrier it can be dangerous. That being said, How many reps do you have with your draw and presentation? If less than 5000 you still need a lot of work. This is not to criticize what you are doing, it is to put things into perspective. If you are going to switch weapons, you have to know how to use each and every one of them, and yes, that takes at least 5000 reps with each.
    DetChris likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

It does take some work to be proficient with both and interchange, but it is possible. I guess one of the reasons I'm fine with going back and forth is that my two main small carry guns are a LCR .38 and a Kahr CM9. Both have a DAO trigger so that takes some of the issue out.
    DetChris and sensei2 like this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

i regularly switch between my Sig DA/SA pistols and three S&W DA/SA revolvers. the Sigs are a P-239/9mm, a P-229/.357SIG, and a P-220/.45. the wheel guns are an S&W 66/2.5", a 625/3", and a 625/4". there is also a Kahr CM-9 which gets thrown into the rotation as a pocket carry gun.

what all these guns have in common is that all are "point and shoot" guns without safeties, and all have a long DA pull for the first shot. the Sigs, of course, will transition to the shorter SA pull for all subsequent shots, (and i have no problems making the DA to SA switch), while the S&W's and the Kahr will continue to have the longer DA pull.

prior to the Kahr, i used an S&W 642 as my pocket gun, but i shot it so much worse than the others, including the Kahr, that i have retired it from the carry rotation.

to the OP: based on an earlier post about people with snubby revolvers, while there are folks who can shoot them very well, there are others, like me, who have trouble with the short sight radius, light weight, and longer trigger pulls of the alloy and polymer snubs. perhaps if you try a steel, 3-4 inch barrel revolver, you'll come closer to what you can do with your Glocks.
    DetChris likes this.

VIP Member
    You can learn to shoot both very well with practice.

I have practiced a lot with both. For point shooting, I can shoot my CZ 75D PCR slightly more accurately than my J-frame revolvers, a fact which I attribute to the DA/SA trigger and pull weight. However, for my L-frame 686's it's a toss up, and the 686 has a long DA pull.

For aimed shooting I am simply not as accurate with the short barreled snubbies due to the short sight radius. But with snubbies I am not going for groups, and most of my practice is point shooting with *rough* sight alignment. In other words, I'm trying to place rounds in the "pie plate" at 5 - 7 yards as rapidly as possible.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    My belief is to be consistent with the weapon system that you carry. Changing things up on a new carrier IMO can be dangerous. Even with an experience carrier it can be dangerous. That being said, How many reps do you have with your draw and presentation? If less than 5000 you still need a lot of work. This is not to criticize what you are doing, it is to put things into perspective. If you are going to switch weapons, you have to know how to use each and every one of them, and yes, that takes at least 5000 reps with each.
    HB if anything it has cemented my decision to stick to just Glocks for carry. I will continue to shoot and own different platforms because that's just plain fun. But carrying = life and death. I'll only trust one brand and one platform for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    HB if anything it has cemented my decision to stick to just Glocks for carry. I will continue to shoot and own different platforms because that's just plain fun. But carrying = life and death. I'll only trust one brand and one platform for that.
    For you I think that is a good choice, Keeping with the same manual of arms. That being said, there are people that can do it. Like I said before, it takes a bit of training to master all.....
    DetChris and SmokinFool like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links