Changes/adjustments you made

This is a discussion on Changes/adjustments you made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am fairly new to the CC world. And I have had to make some changes of how I do things to allow me to ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By clvlndta3
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 2 Post By dben002
  • 1 Post By ImperiusRex
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike

Thread: Changes/adjustments you made

I am fairly new to the CC world. And I have had to make some changes of how I do things to allow me to be ready if need be. Two of the main things I have made is walking the dog and carrying things on my non dominant side. I haven't really made any clothing changes other than buying some pants to accommodate my IWB holster.

So I was just wondering what changes or adjustments have you made since you started CC?

I always try to sit in restaurants etc where I have a good vantage point and can have good escape routes should anything happen. I also pay more attention when I am bending down or reaching up in order to keep covered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    sensei2 likes this.

spend the money and get a better holster . so far I am on my 3rd one and now its very comfortable.

VIP Member
    Holster(s) you will have different ones for many applications and weapons. While riding a Motorcycle in TN i had to stop at Bass Pro get one that had a trigger snap to keep the gun from falling out . I did not feel good with my gun not secured . I am still working though this whole process.

Learning the Art of Concealed Carry is essentially an ongoing process that nobody gets perfect

Well, maybe with a few exceptions of certain members here who shall remain nameless, but they already know who they are.

Like the diversity in handguns, so too will be the equipment related to them to make the carry process as comfortable as possible while giving the person the best degree of security when handling a loaded firearm.

You will gain lots of knowledge here. Many of the members have been doing it for a long time and there will be multitudes of advice to choose from. The good thing is that we never stop learning and getting more information is the best way to achieve the desired results.

Welcome to the Forum. You are in for the ride of your life!
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; June 3rd, 2013 at 08:52 AM.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Actually, I have changed very little. Usually in warm months I carry a S&W 642 5 shot .38 in my pocket and cool months I carry a Glock 21SF .45 in a belt holster. However, sometimes in warm weather I will wear a thin long sleeved shirt (with sleeves rolled up) over a T shirt so that I can carry the Glock.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Still trying to figure out how to wear my Glock while showering at home alone...water will ruin a leather holster and my gun belt. Not worried about the Glock...they love water....
    Stoveman and Zeebra724 like this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Still trying to figure out how to wear my Glock while showering at home alone...water will ruin a leather holster and my gun belt. Not worried about the Glock...they love water....
    Lol wear it around your neck with a mic attached to a lanyard
    dben002 likes this.

Financial adjustments. This game gets spendy.

Lots of OT. Sad how a 100 round box of WWB costs nearly an hours pay, and I can buzz through it in 15 minutes.

@welder516 I usually carry a G19 and use a Blackhawk when I'm worried about making sure it won't fall out or use a mic on my daily carry. Here in AZ I pocket carry a carry a SW Bodyguard 380 when weather doesn't permit more then a T-shirt n shorts or wear a more form fitting suit in the office.

My best piece of advice for anyone who is new to carrying, do not go cheap on the holster. You spend hundreds of dollars on the gun and then go cheap on the holster you carry the gun in. The holster that will hold the gun and keep it secure the vast majority of the time. Much more than the amount of time you will have it in your hand.

That would be like spending $100,000 for a car then putting no-name crap tires on it.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I carried IWB for six or more years with a rather large .45acp. While it was decently comfortable I recently purchased a high quality custom OWB leather and now realize I will not go back to IWB with a large gun. I am also adding a blade to my EDC, SOG Flash 2, and will be getting acquainted with edged weapons.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Slight wardrobe changes, just bigger shirts. Moved to IWB more often over pocket carry. Looking for a good-capacity auto to complement my usual lil' wheelgun. Got some speed strips for spare ammo and love 'em.

I'm still workin on the birthday suit holster too. Though a couple dunks in the river haven't killed any of my leather, I doubt it likes soap much. Speakin of which, somebody really needs to make a good swimsuit rig!

Really haven't changed much since I started carrying, except longer shirts. Short girly shirts are not made to hide anything, not even a muffin top! LOL Some of us like to keep "everything" covered. I have several holsters, some get used more than others, but I keep them all for different applications. Once I broke in my gun belt I never looked back - I liked that change :)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The biggest change, by far, has been in my situational awareness. Holsters, guns to match clothes, and some clothing changes, but those are tactical details compared to the strategic difference in situational awareness.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Sponsored Links