Anyone out there with a self imposed curfew?

This is a discussion on Anyone out there with a self imposed curfew? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I fully believe most will disagree with me, and those in Alaska don't have a choice, but here it goes: Col. John Boyd (and I'm ...

View Poll Results: Stay in after dark?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • I try to

22 24.18%
  • It doesn't make a difference

69 75.82%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Anyone out there with a self imposed curfew?

Anyone out there with a self imposed curfew?

I fully believe most will disagree with me, and those in Alaska don't have a choice, but here it goes: Col. John Boyd (and I'm sure many others) said that the first to spot the "attack" has the upper hand. Now, if the "attack-ee" can see the attacker first, the "attack-ee" has the upper hand, but if the attacker can spot his/her victim first, the attacker has the upper hand. Well at night, it would be easy for the innocent to lose the upper hand being in the dark. I know a lot of the people here preach "avoid trouble, situational awareness, stay away from the stupids, and common sense" (and justly so), but how many people avoid going out after dark, if possible? I understand some carry lights or lasers, but the goal is (or should be) to never have to use force, and avoid trouble. I also understand that we are humans, with life to live. There's an old saying: "What's life if you can't live". So how many try to stay in with the moon?
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't call my curfew "self-imposed" so much as "kid-imposed", but I'm not out when the mischief tends to happen very often these days.
    10thmtn, DJC7, pittypat21 and 5 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

HUH???

I like doing shopping at Krogers around 8-9PM. Sometimes we sit out side with neighbors at night too.

I do what I want when I want. I am not really sure if you are asking folks if they are afriad of the night. In NH (where I use to live and vacationing now) I go for runs after dark.
    Taurahe, nedrgr21 and AZJD1968 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I prefer to be out after dark. Also, freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I do what I want when I want. I am not really sure if you are asking folks if they are afriad of the night. In NH (where I use to live and vacationing now) I go for runs after dark.
    Not afraid, just if they try to avoid it. But, like Kennydale, I will go to my neighbor's after dark. I don't really consider that going out, though.

I think it makes sense to avoid certain places after dark. I wouldn't say that I stay in completely. There are certain neighborhoods that I will avoid after dark. You have to have a risk-based mentality, "Is the gain that I can derive from this activity worth the risk?" Going grocery shopping in a good neighborhood with a well-lit parking lot at 9:00 is worth the risk to me. Taking a shortcut through a sketch area on the wrong side of the tracks at the same time is not.
    atctimmy, Dadsnugun and NONAME762 like this.

Nix
    My habits are such that I'm generally inside by 9:00 or 10:00 pm ....or I'm sleeping in the woods. I don't avoid going out in the evening, but getting a good night's sleep has become more important now that I'm now longer 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    My habits are such that I'm generally inside by 9:00 or 10:00 pm ....or I'm sleeping in the woods. I don't avoid going out in the evening, but getting a good night's sleep has become more important now that I'm now longer 25.
    Amen:)))
    tcox4freedom and Wolf357 like this.
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

That sounds like a tremendously boring life.
    Taurahe likes this.

DBS
    I don't do stupid things or go to stupid places. Other than that, I do what I want.
    Zeebra724 and SCXDm9 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You can't put yourself in a self imposed prison, just use good common sense. Life gives no guarantees.
    Keith44, OnePlink and Rattlehead like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    In some places the sun may offer protection, and in some places it won't; criminals are always looking for an opportunity - I try not to give them one no matter the time of day.

So there are some places I will go to after dark, and there are some places I won't even go to in the light of day.
    tdave and Aceoky like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Administrator
    I can see your point. Sort of. For certain...there are truly bad areas that you probably do not want to get stuck in after the Sun goes down.

But, they are not usually places that I really want to be when the Sun is shining bright.

In my area I go out when I want to go out. If I were to place voluntary handcuffs on my own personal freedom then I allow the Bad Guys to win.

Afterthought: And if multitudes of armed Good Guys all go out when it's dark then the Bad Guys pretty much lose the Bad Guy game.

Nighttime is really just Daytime with less light. Good situational awareness will work under all lighting conditions.

These days in populated areas there is usually so much ambient light that it never seems to really get truly DARK.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links