Did I read this right?

Did I read this right?

This is a discussion on Did I read this right? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In early May of this year the US Senate voted to ban firearms from the 12,000,000 acres of Corps of Engineers property except for LEOs, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By JJVP

Thread: Did I read this right?

Did I read this right?

In early May of this year the US Senate voted to ban firearms from the 12,000,000 acres of Corps of Engineers property except for LEOs, some hunting sites, and ranges. Other than that, no guns or ammo is allowed on Corps property. Their property includes the lakes, boat ramps, parking lots, and most surrounding lake property.

I can travel with my loaded gun because my state has reciprocity with the states I travel to but after arriving, what I do with my gun? Apparently, I can't legally leave my gun and ammo in my truck because it would be parked on COE property. On COE lakes the marinas, DNR facilities, etc. lease their sites from the COE. I can't even take a handgun on a river that is not governed by the COE because if I have to use a COE boat ramp and/or parking lot I'm breaking the law (imprisonment & $5,000 fine).

So as far as I'm concerned, my license is just about useless for one of the primary reasons I got it for: personal defense while traveling the back roads of several states at various times of day and night, arriving at unlighted boat ramps in hours of darkness many times occupied unsavory folks that aren't always friendly sportsmen.

If I'm missing something here please let me know. I'm the meantime I think I'll quit fishing and take up Frisbee golf.

hmmm.... we have an awesome frisbee golf course her ein indy..... 18 holes, BTOB.... what sounds like a good tee time?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by riverbear View Post
    In early May of this year the US Senate voted to ban firearms from the 12,000,000 acres of Corps of Engineers property except for LEOs, some hunting sites, and ranges. Other than that, no guns or ammo is allowed on Corps property. Their property includes the lakes, boat ramps, parking lots, and most surrounding lake property.
    Strange, isn't it, that any such People's property can be called owned by a government or agency? "Their" property? I'll never understand that. Seems to me that in any government of the people, the People's lands are theirs, not the agency that merely administers them on the People's behalf.

Ah, well. Can't have everything. (Sanity and principles aren't covered in "Public Admin / Public Law" coursework.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I could be very wrong, but I think there has been a very long standing ban on these, as with most other Federal property.
    Not the same as National Parks.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yes, Hopyard, there was a long standing ban but they were voting to change that but it didn't happen. I was aware of the vote coming up and wanted to get my carry license on the hope that it might go. That's what I get for hoping the government would be a bit more liberal with "our" land.

Anyway, I might have a buyer for my carry gun and if it happens....lots of frisbees in my future.

Senior Moderator
    Most of the Corp land around here is hunted. The only places that the Corp bans gun are in the few visitor centers.

Deer, turkey ,squirrel, ducks, geese, beaver you name it, it gets shot on Corp land. The "gun ban" thing is a local issue for most of them. Its not that way everywhere.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Yes, Hopyard, there was a long standing ban but they were voting to change that but it didn't happen. I was aware of the vote coming up and wanted to get my carry license on the hope that it might go. That's what I get for hoping the government would be a bit more liberal with "our" land.

Anyway, I might have a buyer for my carry gun and if it happens....lots of frisbees in my future.
    In your first post you wrote you think your carry gun is just about useless for the primary purpose for which you got it.
    Here you talk about selling it.

I don't get it. If you have a perfectly good carry gun, keep it and use it in the places and times where you are lawful to do so.

The gun will keep value, be useful, and last you a long time. Frisbees? In lieu of guns?
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The ban from COE property has been in place for many years. What they tried to do was eliminate the ban like they did for National parks a few years ago. Unfortunately, the bill failed.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ill-91032.html
    Last edited by JJVP; June 4th, 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I could be very wrong, but I think there has been a very long standing ban on these, as with most other Federal property.
    Not the same as National Parks.
    Yeah, living right along the Mississippi like I do, this very issue was discussed in my CCW class. A couple of fishermen in the class were not happy about it at all either.

Since some of you guys can use COE land properly, I thought I'd call Indiana Natural Resources 1-812-837-9536 about carrying near their Brookville Lake with an out of state carry license from Kentucky. The person that I spoke to said Indiana does not recognize a Kentucky concealed license.

Now the 2013 book, Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq describes Indiana as: "Automatic recognition for non-residents with carry permits from other states." Seems to me Kentucky should be recognized but the person repeated that the KY license isn't good in Indiana.

Now either the book is wrong or I spoke to someone that made a mistake but I'm going to assume the folks in Indiana know their laws better than someone who wrote a book about it.

Well, I'm convinced that I'm keeping my carry gun but I won't to take it to Indiana. I'll be happy and they'll be happy. However, I can't say I won't consider taking a concealed Frisbee once in a while.

I live on a COE lake, and I called the COE station here and made my questions as clear as I could: If I have a concealed carry license, am doing nothing but legal activities, can I be armed in the campgrounds/hiking trails/in a boat." He read the law off to me, something along the lines of "Loaded firearms, explosives, and firearms ammunition are not allowed." He then jokingly said "You can have the gun, but not the bullets." Can't have it anywhere on the property, including some many feet past the shoreline, even outside of the parks, period. That was really disappointing to me, because the lake attracts some wild characters, and up on the north side of the lake is some rough wildlife (One of those places you feel the need to be armed, depending on the time of year). One of the few places I choose to go even though I have to un-arm.

Since some of you guys can use COE land properly, I thought I'd call Indiana Natural Resources 1-812-837-9536 about carrying near their Brookville Lake with an out of state carry license from Kentucky. The person that I spoke to said Indiana does not recognize a Kentucky concealed license.

Now the 2013 book, Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq describes Indiana as: "Automatic recognition for non-residents with carry permits from other states." Seems to me Kentucky should be recognized but the person repeated that the KY license isn't good in Indiana.

Now either the book is wrong or I spoke to someone that made a mistake but I'm going to assume the folks in Indiana know their laws better than someone who wrote a book about it.

Well, I'm convinced that I'm keeping my carry gun but I won't to take it to Indiana. I'll be happy and they'll be happy. However, I can't say I won't consider taking a concealed Frisbee once in a while.
    According to the Firearms FAQ document @ www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf, per IC 35-47-2-21(b) (Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states) as well as the FindLaw reference for the same current Indiana statute: (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

You might want to speak with someone "in the know" in Indiana who is aware of IC 35-47-2-21(b) and any exceptions to this, whether they cant point you to the exceptions they're thinking of that negate this statute. But it seems pretty clear via that statute that that Indiana recognizes other state's CHL's. Of course, any carrier would be subject to all relevant IN carry laws while carryin in IN, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

CCW9mm

I spoke to a KY LEO and he agreed with the Indiana statute that you pointed out. He was sure Indiana recognizes KY concealed license because KY recognizes Indiana's.

He thinks that I probably was not speaking to a LEO. He told me to contact a different police department about the question if I need specific answers.

I'll do that before I go there again.

Thanks

According to Handgunlaw.us Indiana Honors all other states Permit/Licenses. Now, COE regulations are Federal. You CANNOT carry on COE land, no matter what state your CHL is from.
    Hopyard likes this.

Just to make sure I called Indiana State Police to verify that Indiana recognizes a KY carry license and the immediate response was,"Yes we do."

I still can't carry on CoE property but that's a Federal problem not one with Indiana.

Links