Just strapped on to carry concealed for the first time

This is a discussion on Just strapped on to carry concealed for the first time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally made it. Got my permit, been looking for a gun for a couple of months. Had settled on a S&W M&P. 40 full ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Just strapped on to carry concealed for the first time

I finally made it. Got my permit, been looking for a gun for a couple of months. Had settled on a S&W M&P. 40 full size, and I found one this past weekend at a gun show for a good price.

It's kind of strange. In all my 58 years, I have never been in a position where I needed a firearm for defense, but I've been a hunter and shooter most of my life. I live in Colorado, and with all the changes in attitudes and regulations here, it seemed like a good time to make the plunge to concealed carry. So, in March I applied for my concealed handgun permit, and it came in May.

I researched what I liked and talked to friends and as I said, settled on the FS M&P. I got an airsoft replica of this same gun and carried it concealed IWB around the house for a few days and it was quite comfortable. I got a secure feeling with it on, which disappeared when I took it off. I like the idea of having 15+1 rounds rather than 6 or 10 with the smaller size M&Ps, and I like the firepower of .40 caliber compared to smaller, less powerful rounds. So this is a nice gun for me.

I had a friend looking at gun shops where he hangs out, and I spoke with quite a few myself, but didn't find any of these for a couple of months. Went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago and saw several, but didn't quite have the money, so I held off. Went to a larger gun show this past weekend and saw a few for even more money, but I finally found one at a table sponsored by a gun store that has been very supportive of our local gun rights organizations. The price looked good, so I took it.

Picked up a bit of ammo, just one box for SD and one for the range, as I didn't have a lot of extra money at the time. So today, I loaded up a mag with the SD rounds, chambered one and added another to the mag, then slipped it into my holster. I confess I felt a bit afraid of putting something that powerful in my pants. I had never even loaded one outside a range before. I guess that's good. Keep the respect and awareness level high, and I'm safer all around.

Now I get to go through that newbie phase where I'm sure everyone is staring and thinks I'm some kind of crazy gun nut. I know I'll get over that in time, but I'm still a bit nervous.

Any other stories of the first time you carried? I'd be interested to hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Congrats on your rite of passage! If you have proper SA, you will be more "paranoid" than anyone around you and you will be the one watching others. Most people are in their own little worlds paying attention to no one else and have absolutely no clue you are CCing. Since you are carrying a FS gun, you will have a bit harder time concealing but I still wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck.

Be sure to do the Wally World Walk. Congrats and keep your SA up. You don't want to be "too" comfortable, but just remember that 90% of the people around you are sheep and probably would not notice if you hung it from a nose ring. They just don't get it. They don't see it. They don't care.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

it's not just the first time you carry, but the first time in every different situation. i can stroll through wally world now and feel invisible. but when i walked into chik fil a the other day and sat next to two tables full of SWAT guys, i felt like i had a bowling ball hanging from my belt. Like Yogi Berra said, "Half this game is 90% mental".
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Administrator
    Just be very mindful of your basic firearm safety rules...(it's good that you already have some general firearm experience) and...you really should shoot your firearm enough to verify/insure functional reliability before you carry it for self-defense purposes.

You'll (naturally) want it to feed/function & eject should you ever need it to save your bacon.

But, for now it is fine that you are having it "on your person" to get accustomed to wearing it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

FS 40 Is my 1st cc. About 3 months now. Couldn't have made a better choice. All of the above replies and be safe. I carried in the house every weekend while waiting for my permit. NO ONE ever said a word, and I never told! It will be natural in no time! No one even gives me a 2nd look. Plus with some common sense and some training, you will be so far under the radar that you will learn to recognize something before it will happen and remove your self soon enough that it won't be your problem. Always think to call 911 1st if possible. Plus it has made me all around a calmer person. No more road rage or anything.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six
    Ruger Speed Six

Congrats on your first carry! I remember mine very well. It was Target instead of WalMart, and the next stop was World Market. At that point I was too nervous to chamber a round, so for the first week I just got used to carrying it. I was constantly convinced someone would notice, even though I live in an area inhabited solely by zombies with no situational awareness of their own. The nervousness will go away. Congrats again!

VIP Member
    Congrats! Welcome to the forum and welcome to CC.

First time I CC'd was at a Home Depot. A BUSY Home Depot. Felt like everybody and their dog had X Ray vision..... This too shall pass.

Congrats. Carry safe, carry often!

1st time I cc'd was the day I got my permit. There was a driving rainstorm outside, I mean a real monsoon, but I wanted to carry so I drove to Subway. I got totally soaked running in from the parking lot, and was freaked out because I thought for sure between the wind and the running my jacket would fly up and I'd flash my gun to the whole world. Congrats on making it. Like the others have said, in the near future it'll be routine.

I just started carrying my M&P Shield in the .40cal version. I used to carry a .380 TCP and the first times I carried it felt weird. To have that much defensive security in your pocket without anyone knowing it. Right next to families, older people, checkout people and everyone else wondering how many times you go by someone else who might be carrying without you knowing it. Also wonder how many times you went by someone who was carrying before you got you CCW permit. Just wondering how many others are out there.

Just keep in mind.....never reveal and never tell anyone you are carrying and only reveal the defense if and when needed and not before.

Stay safe......
    MJClark likes this.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Congratulations, friend!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpthompso View Post
    I confess I felt a bit afraid of putting something that powerful in my pants.
    +1 on that! I was pretty paranoid for several weeks. After unloading the gun and loading some snap caps and trying everything I could short of pulling the trigger, I finally convinced myself it wasn't going to fire unless I did something stupid.

Congrats and welcome.

Congrats! I remember my first time carrying, it was weird for about a week or two. Now, when I DON'T have that odd lump up against my side I feel weird.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

DBS
    I remember my first time. I was nervous as hell, felt like I had a steel I-beam inside my pants, and was scared to death that someone was going to find out what I was doing. No wait...that was a different "first time."

Seriously, welcome to the club and stay safe.
    Aceoky, PEF and TJDN like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links