Pennsylvania non-resident permit

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania non-resident permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone direct me to a county in eastern Pennsylvania that will take an application for a non-resident permit? I know that I have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pennsylvania non-resident permit

Pennsylvania non-resident permit

Can anyone direct me to a county in eastern Pennsylvania that will take an application for a non-resident permit? I know that I have to appear in person now, and I've been checking county websites. I haven't found one that mentions non-residents, and the handgunlaw.us site doesn't list any counties. Just says to phone. If anyone has information, it could save me a lot of phone time.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I got mine from Centre County. They are extremely quick, friendly and motivated in the issuance of non-resident permits.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I though i read you can go the any sherifs dept and turn paperwork in .

VIP Member
    Andy , I forgot to mention you must have your own state permit before you can apply to PA.

VIP Member
    I have always heard Centre County as well.

VIP Member
    Here is an old reference page, which prompted me to get mine via mail from Centre County. Mail is no longer an issue:
    Pennsylvania Non-Resident CCW FAQ
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is an old reference page, which prompted me to get mine via mail from Centre County. Mail is no longer an issue:
    Pennsylvania Non-Resident CCW FAQ
    I've got a PA. non-resident permit that expires in a few months. Will I be able to renew through the mail?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    I've got a PA. non-resident permit that expires in a few months. Will I be able to renew through the mail?
    I would email the sheriff and ask. I misplaced my PA permit, and they sent me a replacement free of charge after I emailed them.
    Tuco

The PA law is unfortunate for citizens of bordering states, like NJ and MD. While these states have a ccw permit process, it is all for show. The vast majority of citizens in MD and NJ would never be issued a permit due to intentional constraints in the laws. So, those that could most benefit from a non resident permit in PA will never get one.

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    Not anymore. You have to go in person now. Also, not all counties issue non-resident permits. They are all supposed to, but some sheriffs just don't.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    in PA you can go to any sheriffs office to get non resident permits. and no i dont think you can mail in, it has to be in person, you dont have to do things like other states like courses or anything, so having to get your picture taken i person is about it.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    I emailed the Centre County Sheriff with these several questions, and here is his response:

"Hi Mike – By Law, both new and renewals must now appear in person for processing. The process at our Office takes from 15 to 30 minutes depending on volume of calls the Instant Criminal History Check is handling. Once the criminal history check is completed and shows no prohibited crimes, the license is issued. Only one visit is required.

Hours for license to carry are Monday thru Friday 8 – 5. Closed on weekends and major holidays.

Unfortunately both Maryland and New Jersey residents must first obtain a license from their home state prior to issuance in Pa. Knowing the issuance in these states is very restricted, I contacted both the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Attorney General’s Office a number of years ago to argue it was nearly impossible for the average citizen to obtain from New Jersey thus they are not truly issue states. Both rejected my argument.

Happy Trails ……. Denny"
    Tuco

Thanks for posting the info Mike. I have to renew my PA permit early next year. Looks like my wife and I are going to have to take a little trip to PA to renew our permits. When we first got them, it was all done through the mail. Road Trip in the future!!!!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I just renewed mine in Centre County. They are very friendly and quick. Bring old permit, home state permit and drivers lisc in and out in 15 mins $20. Good Luck
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Sig View Post
    I just renewed mine in Centre County. They are very friendly and quick. Bring old permit, home state permit and drivers lisc in and out in 15 mins $20. Good Luck
    Nebraska? That is true dedication to commitment to carry concealed. Hats off.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links