Probably wierd but just thinking here....your thoughts please

This is a discussion on Probably wierd but just thinking here....your thoughts please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In NC you can carry a firearm in a vehicle if it is not loaded, and locked in a container not in reach. If you ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Probably wierd but just thinking here....your thoughts please

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Probably wierd but just thinking here....your thoughts please

In NC you can carry a firearm in a vehicle if it is not loaded, and locked in a container not in reach.
    If you cc you can have the gun in the car, on your person, concealed or not.

Brings up the question...If I wanted to mount a holster in the car for my LCP backup but left the vehicle for a period of time I'm thinking I would need to unload the LCP and lock it in the gun box....I would really like to have the LCP console mounted.

Any thoughts.......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

Common sense would lead one to never leave a gun inside a vehicle where visible and the vehicle unattended. If not visible then just leave it there if you can't take it with you. There is no statute that you must unload and store the gun.

You just need to make sure that the gun is NOT concealed in the immediate vicinity of a passenger that doesn't have their carry permit or that is forbidden from having a firearm in their possession.

Also, in NC you can carry a loaded gun in your car even if you don't have a CHP, it just has to be open such as on the passenger seat or during a stop, on the dash.

You do not really WANT to be loading and unloading a handgun while you are out in the car. That's just another chance at a negligent discharge. If you have a holster mounted in your console then just leave it there since it would be out of sight you'd be fine assuming you have your CHP while in the car. The only thing that would be better is to not mount the holster and just keep the holstered gun in the console and if you have to leave it in the car, move the holstered gun to the trunk or lock box while holstered and loaded.
    dben002 and msgt/ret like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

My 2 cents is as CCW permit holders, we can have a pistol anywhere in the car. As you mentioned, you don't want to leave it in the car unattended. A lockbox in the trunk is the best solution in my opinion, that's where I keep one, with my LCP in it. It's kind of my "back up" if I'm out for some reason without my main carry weapon and I want to grab it to carry or have in the car with me.

By the way, I keep it in the lockbox loaded.

Iggy
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Common sense would lead one to never leave a gun inside a vehicle where visible and the vehicle unattended. If not visible then just leave it there if you can't take it with you. There is no statute that you must unload and store the gun.

You just need to make sure that the gun is NOT concealed in the immediate vicinity of a passenger that doesn't have their carry permit or that is forbidden from having a firearm in their possession.

Also, in NC you can carry a loaded gun in your car even if you don't have a CHP, it just has to be open such as on the passenger seat or during a stop, on the dash.

You do not really WANT to be loading and unloading a handgun while you are out in the car. That's just another chance at a negligent discharge. If you have a holster mounted in your console then just leave it there since it would be out of sight you'd be fine assuming you have your CHP while in the car. The only thing that would be better is to not mount the holster and just keep the holstered gun in the console and if you have to leave it in the car, move the holstered gun to the trunk or lock box while holstered and loaded.
    great response...in the console..then in the lock box...that makes sense....thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

If you drive a truck or SUV, there are specialized console lock boxes (such as the Console Vault) you could install.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

I was told in Texas you do not need a Conceal Carry license to have a gun in the car. I was also told that it needs to be kept out of sight. You can keep it on the passenger seat as long as it is covered by a sweater or something like that .

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I was told in Texas you do not need a Conceal Carry license to have a gun in the car. I was also told that it needs to be kept out of sight. You can keep it on the passenger seat as long as it is covered by a sweater or something like that .
    Which is almost exactly opposite of NC which is where the OP is located. No permit and a covered firearm in the passenger seat in NC will cause you a delay in your day and maybe some bail money if stopped by LE.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Yes, you can, but it is a bad idea tactically. If you had to slam on your brakes to avoid colliding with someone, then a carjacker comes after you, your gun is now on the floor and you might have trouble finding it right when you need it most. Something like this actually happened to an FBI agent in 1986 (lost his glasses AND his gun, and had a heck of a time getting back into the fight).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I've thought about mounting a holster in my car, but there is a quirk in NE state law that discourages me from doing so. The law says that unless the weapon is concealed on your person, i.e in the glove box or the center console, the presence of a concealed firearm in a vehicle is considered to be in the possession of everyone in the vehicle. That means anyone without a CHP is in violation.

The intent was to prevent gangsters from having one guy get a CHP and then claim all the weapons in the car that might be stashed under the seats. I suspect that was never a huge problem, but that's the argument. I suspect the cops apply that with some measure of discretion, but I don't want to test it. I don't know if there's been any precedent set for a holster mounted that is only accessible on the driver's side or something like that. Now I just get around it by putting the gun in the cubby behind the gear shifter in a pocket holster. Technically that's not concealed. Seems pretty stupid to me, but that's the convoluted system that we all seem to have to try and follow these days.

Links