Handgun carry in Israel

This is a discussion on Handgun carry in Israel within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it's been a while since I last posted and I thought it was time I check in and say hi. As you may remember, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun carry in Israel

VIP Member

Handgun carry in Israel

Well, it's been a while since I last posted and I thought it was time I check in and say hi.

As you may remember, my family and I moved to Israel this past summer and I had to give up my beloved Glock 30, since new immigrants to Israel are not allowed to own guns for 3 years after moving to the country.

(32 months to go...32 months to go...32 months to go... )

I just found out some good news - a new immigrant can volunteer for the national police force and after 6 months can be granted a permit to carry. So I may be able to carry much sooner than 3 years. There's an extensive volunteer corp throughout the country, and volunteers are armed and have almost full police powers to assist the police in patrolling neighborhoods, traffic control, etc.

In the meantime, I am drooling everytime I see a private citizen walking around with a handgun on their waist. Yup, that's right - if you do get the permit to carry, you can carry open. All types carry - men, women, senior citizens, college students. There are limitations as to who can carry, but basically, once you get the permit to carry, you can carry...anywhere...

...even at work. Several co-workers carry at work, and there's nothing a company can do to stop them. In fact, companies LIKE the fact that some employees carry as it's a great deterrent and provides an extra layer of security in the workplace.

At my kids' school, the principal carries, as do several teachers. And here's the kicker - on the school grounds is a firing range, open to the public and used by private citizens, army reservists, police, etc. Also, at each entrance to the school is an armed guard.

When you go to the mall, your bags are checked before you enter the mall, your car trunk is checked for suspicious items, and most men are asked if they are carrying a weapon (yes, I know it's sexist, but profiling really DOES work). I answer "no" when asked, and kind of give a forlorn sigh afterwards to let the guard know that I really wish I could say "yes"! If you are carrying a weapon, you have to show your permit and that's that. You can carry in the mall, you can carry in synagogues, you can carry in schools, you can carry in government offices, you can carry anywhere.

That's the whole point - the government wants its citizens to be a vital part of everday security.

People are kind of lax in how they carry. I've seen several people carrying with the gun just stuck between their waistband and their body without any holster. Most people carry with an inside the waistband holster, and a few have some nice leather rigs.

From what I can tell, all guns are semi-autos; I haven't seen a revolver yet. Most people also don't seem to care what type of gun they're carrying; most likely, they carry the gun they can afford. I've seen S&W's, Berettas, and Glocks. I haven't had the guts to go up to people and ask them about their guns; part of my reluctance is my poor command of Hebrew. But there are some people in my neighborhood who I'm friendly with and I plan to grill them about their guns and carrying when I get the chance.

Despite the media's portrayal of Israel as a besieged country, life here is very pleasant. Even during the Lebanese War this past summer, people went on with their lives and you would never have known there was a war going on in the north, by the number of people out for a stroll or shopping in Jerusalem. You get used to being checked by security guards before entering a store or a restaurant. Like I said, in Israel they check you before you go into the store because they're looking for terrorists; in the US they check you as you're leaving the store cause they're looking for shoplifters.

So hopefully real soon I'll be carrying again - since I won't have to worry about concealment. I might go for a full size Glock, although I still think the Glock 30 will be my best bet for ease of carry, capacity, and ease of concealement if I have to.

Regards,

Ben

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My understanding is that the Israelis don't normally carry pistols with a round chamberd, is that the norm there?

Hi Ben. Thanks for the insight on Israel.

It is nice to see that there is one place in the world with some sanity as it applies to gun laws. I wish our government would take a lesson from this.

VIP Member
    Thanks for checking in with us Ben....be safe out there, sir.

If you join the PD....good luck....and keep your head down!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    My understanding is that the Israelis don't normally carry pistols with a round chamberd, is that the norm there?
    I don't know about the unchambered round, but I can ask around. Doesn't seem like a good tactic in any case.
    Last edited by BenGoodLuck; November 19th, 2006 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Adding a quote from original post

Assistant Administrator
    Hello Ben - good to have the update - can't believe so much time has already flown by.

Keep up the reporting - it's fascinating to get the first hand feedback.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

ben , the training they do and pistols they have used over the years, is why they go with chamber empty, It is the norm there.

As I was told you can own 2 handguns and one rifle, don't know if that's changed

School security example

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    At my kids' school, the principal carries, as do several teachers. And here's the kicker - on the school grounds is a firing range, open to the public and used by private citizens, army reservists, police, etc. Also, at each entrance to the school is an armed guard.
    This is a rational approach to the problem of school security, and protecting against the type of school shootings we have in the US. In most of the US, teachers, administrators and parents are prohibited from carrying in a school, leaving the children defenseless. This makes no sense at all, and encourages school shootings.

Utah is the only US state I know about that permits teachers, administrators and parents to be armed on school property. And I don't believe Utah has experienced any school shootings.

Greetings...

from Florida to Israel...
    Thanks for the input...
    It's refreshing to know that SOMEBODY understands REAL security...

Maybe people here will wake up...when (not if) the SHTF...for some it may be too late...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    My understanding is that the military and police there carry without a round in the chamber. I don't know if that is common among the population there.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Ron
    The Israelis have been under seige, experiencing terrorist attacks within its borders, from the moment of its birth as a nation. The rational response of the government there is what Ben has described: arm the citizenry so that they may protect themslves and assist in protecting others.

If we should begin to experience similar acts of terror in this country, which, given current world events, unfortunately I think is inevitable, I wonder what the reaction and response of our politicians will be. Two basic choices: arm the citizenry, as in Israel, or try to ban guns. Any one care to take a guess which direction they will tend to go?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    As you may remember, my family and I moved to Israel this past summer and I had to give up my beloved Glock 30, since new immigrants to Israel are not allowed to own guns for 3 years after moving to the country.

(32 months to go...32 months to go...32 months to go... )
    Gee, and I thought my 71 day wait for a Utah permit was bad!

Seriously, though, I'm surprised at this. I wouldn't have thought that Israel, being a nation of immigrants like the U.S., would have such draconian restrictions. Seems like new arrivals ought to have as much right to protect themselves as long timers do.

That’s great to hear about the openness of carrying a gun. If I recall correctly, all Israel men must serve at least two years in the military so they have the training to correctly handle a firearm. The open carry I’m sure is a deterrent to terrorist.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Very informative and great write up concerning our closest ally in the Middle East. Would like to visit Israel some day for a mini vacation.

Ben: Do they have Gun Shops or Sporting Goods stores per say for making purchases to the general public? Would love to know what are offered on the shelves......... Thanks.

Wags

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Do they have Gun Shops or Sporting Goods stores per say for making purchases to the general public? Would love to know what are offered on the shelves.
    Wags,

There is one store I know of in Jerusalem, called "Magnum", but I haven't had a chance to visit yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links