.380 vs 9mm vs .40 vs .45 - Which is best and why? - Page 5

.380 vs 9mm vs .40 vs .45 - Which is best and why?

This is a discussion on .380 vs 9mm vs .40 vs .45 - Which is best and why? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry what I carry and it is my decision. There maybe better calibers and maybe not....I don't care. A well placed bullet, rock, kick, ...

View Poll Results: Which caliber is best for concealed carry?

Voters
347. You may not vote on this poll

20 5.76%
  • 9mm

167 48.13%

62 17.87%

98 28.24%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: .380 vs 9mm vs .40 vs .45 - Which is best and why?

I carry what I carry and it is my decision. There maybe better calibers and maybe not....I don't care. A well placed bullet, rock, kick, punch, brick or whatever will do the job. Doesn't matter what caliber it was.
    LeMat44 and redmc like this.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    I'm going to say not enough poll selections. Caliber that is best for concealed carry is what you are comfortable with and hit with. I've personally preferred the 40S&W for many years, but I've been liking the 357SIG more in the past year for good reasons. I did not vote in the poll
    Sorry about that. I can see I should have included quite a few more calibers. I hope the next person to post a caliber poll reads this and learns from my mistake. I have certainly learned a lot from reading through this thread though. :)

One nice thing about being human is we can choose to change our minds. What we like today might be different next month or year and we can go about getting something different. I hope I can afford to keep what I have though because every time I sell a handgun I regret it later for one reason or another...
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

It's the 9mm for me. I have guns in all the calibers listed, and for the record love and carry each of them from time to time. For me the 9mm offers the best overall compliment of firepower and ballistics. All the pistol calibers mentioned in the poll have failed at some point, but IMO the operators failed equally and actually, the operator was more of a contributing factor to the failure than the pistol caliber itself. That's my take on it anyway.

Id say, carry whatever makes you feel ten feet tall and bulletproof. Having the confidence to defend your life and that of your loved ones is what really counts when the pooh hits the fan. If it's a .380 that does it, good. if you feel the .45 is the way to go, awesome. Fact is, the human body doesn't like foreign objects entering it at critical locations. If some low life forces you to busta cap, don't be stingy with the payload regardless of your caliber of choice..

oh' and it would be nice if these polls would have a selection for folks like myself. A "all the above" would be a nice option for us folks that understand that, all the calibers have their place in our inventory.
    9MMare and buckeyebersa like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

If the only criteria is concealed carry then the .22 Magnum should be on there. My tertiary carry piece is an NAA .22 Magnum, I consider is to be more of a "groundfighting" piece though

Caliber debates are silly. This is THE answer.

Dirty Harry 1971 quote - YouTube
    thebucketeer likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    There is no perfect carry firearm (just like you boaters may know there's no perfect boat). It's all a trade-off with some people not wanting to carry larger/heavier/higher caliber firearms and others having the body type to carry larger guns. I think the 9mm is a good compromise between size, weight, carrying capacity, and stopping power. But not necessarily the right gun for everyone. Smith and Wesson M&P 9c suits me perfectly.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar

Placement

As always the key is placement if you miss with your 45 and another person takes a 380 and hits the threat which one is better ????

I would be curious to know if there is anyone here, that round for round, can say that when they stand face to face with a killer, would rather have a 9mm over a 45? And you may only get one shot.

Don't go to " I shoot the 9mm the best" or any of that other crap; at the above listed point and time, which would you rather have?
    Brad426, wdbailey and Chief1297 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would be curious to know if there is anyone here, that round for round, can say that when they stand face to face with a killer, would rather have a 9mm over a 45? And you may only get one shot.

Don't go to " I shoot the 9mm the best" or any of that other crap; at the above listed point and time, which would you rather have?
    i wouldn't say that I'd rather have a 9 mm, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't feel under gunned either. My confidence with my tools IMO rock. JMHO. I do get what you are saying though.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    i wouldn't say that I'd rather have a 9 mm, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't feel under gunned either. My confidence with my tools IMO rock. JMHO. I do get what you are saying though.
    Thank you. A lot of people don't.
    FWIW, I carry a 9mm in the summer 75% of the time.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Bigger is always better, unless you can't shoot it well. Then you settle for the biggest caliber you can shoot well.
    What glockman10mm said.

I shoot my .45 better than my 9mm, so I carry my .45, the recoil is different and works better for me, it's definitely a personal choice - but the correct answer isn't the results of a poll, it's whatever you shoot best. I'm also sick of the argument 'a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .45' - it's about the dumbest defense I've read for using a smaller caliber. Just because it's smaller doesn't mean your chances of hitting something go up. A hit with anything is better than a miss with anything, period... Some people can't shoot a target series Buckmark .22LR to save their butt but can put 3 shots center of mass with an old .357 revolver just fine, and vice-versa.

I prefer a .72 caliber (12 gauge to save you a Google search) but it's hard to carry IWB and people get weird when you carry OWB. :)

I have always said (mostly to myself, as my wife would rather me talk about baseball than ballistics, and that's saying something, because she hates baseball) that if I had one shot and I knew it would hit, I would rather have a .45 than a 9mm. But the conundrum is I feel I'd be more likely to get that one hit with the 9mm. That's probably why I still carry both.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Carry what you are good with be it a .380 or a .50 cal. The caliber argument is as old as the smokeless cartridge. Its shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. I've had a Glock mod 22 40 S&W for almost 20 years now and love it. I also have a 1911 .45. The Glock holds 15+1 and the 1911 holds 7+1. With nearly comparable ballistics, I'll opt for the one with a 15 round mag., but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I have always said (mostly to myself, as my wife would rather me talk about baseball than ballistics, and that's saying something, because she hates baseball) that if I had one shot and I knew it would hit, I would rather have a .45 than a 9mm. But the conundrum is I feel I'd be more likely to get that one hit with the 9mm. That's probably why I still carry both.
    I think most people have to make decisions based on personal convictions and limiting factors that are a very real part of everyday life. Like for me. I KNOW a 45, or 44 is better than a 38 or 9mm, but most of the time I pack the G19 because it allows me the best bang for my dress limitations in hot weather.

But what I take issue with are those who say stupid stuff like a 9mm is just as good as a 45, or whatever, to justify and convince themselves that they have picked the best caliber.
    Stop lying to yourself. Stop believing a few incidents reported about the 45 not stopping someone and ignoring 136 years of 45 stopping power just to feel good about the compromise you make.

The truth is this; if you took a 9mm, 380, 40s&w wound, and substituted a 45 in its place, same trajectory, same bullet design and performance of the bullet, you get a better, bigger wound with more area damage, all things being equal.
    wdbailey likes this.

If I could only take one shot, I would prefer my Desert Eagle 50AE, but I carry a five inch government size 1911 in .45 ACP or 10mm because it is easier to conceal. I do not own any guns in .380 AP or 9mm.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links