Nc ccw permit

This is a discussion on Nc ccw permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will try to make this as short as possible. While in the Coast Guard in the 80's I was arrested twice for dui for ...

Thread: Nc ccw permit

Nc ccw permit

I will try to make this as short as possible. While in the Coast Guard in the 80's I was arrested twice for dui for which i received a PBJ for both while living in Maryland. The Coast Guard had just come out with a new policy if arrested for two dui's that you would be kicked out of the service. I was and received an honorable discharge. I with the drinking problems I had was arrested twice more in 1992 and 1995 with one resulting in another PBJ and the latter I was found not guilty.
    I have been clean and sober since then, and moved to NC in 1999. Haven't had any traffic tickets, nothing since 1995. Basically I realized there was a problem and straightened out my life. I own my own home, have a great job with a reputable company, and life is good.
    I recently applied for a gun permit and received permits to be able to buy 5 guns, could have been 10 but didn't need that many. Now I am interested in getting a CCW permit. But before I spend the money to take the CCW class and to apply for the permit which is I understand is non-refundable, anyone out there think there is any chance I would be able to get the permit approved? Yes I was young and dumb at that time in my life, hopefully those days won't prevent me from getting one. I just feel that in the world we live in now which isn't anything like it was when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, I would feel safer for myself and my family by at least having a chance to defend us if that were to ever come about.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmise View Post
    I will try to make this as short as possible. While in the Coast Guard in the 80's I was arrested twice for dui for which i received a PBJ for both while living in Maryland. The Coast Guard had just come out with a new policy if arrested for two dui's that you would be kicked out of the service. I was and received an honorable discharge. I with the drinking problems I had was arrested twice more in 1992 and 1995 with one resulting in another PBJ and the latter I was found not guilty.
    I have been clean and sober since then, and moved to NC in 1999. Haven't had any traffic tickets, nothing since 1995. Basically I realized there was a problem and straightened out my life. I own my own home, have a great job with a reputable company, and life is good.
    I recently applied for a gun permit and received permits to be able to buy 5 guns, could have been 10 but didn't need that many. Now I am interested in getting a CCW permit.

But before I spend the money to take the CCW class and to apply for the permit which is I understand is non-refundable, anyone out there think there is any chance I would be able to get the permit approved? Yes I was young and dumb at that time in my life, hopefully those days won't prevent me from getting one. I just feel that in the world we live in now which isn't anything like it was when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, I would feel safer for myself and my family by at least having a chance to defend us if that were to ever come about.
    If you passed the background check for the gun permit, you should be ok to go on the CCL but I would as a precaution stop by your local sheriff's office and discuss this very thing with them and letting them know you were approved for the purchase permits. To my knowledge and understanding the background checks for the permits and the CCL are the same.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

NC only counts DUIs against you within the last three years. As long as your discharge was honorable you should be fine. Go ahead and get your CHP.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it!

Links