Signs posted after you commit the crime.

This is a discussion on Signs posted after you commit the crime. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from vacation in the smoky mountains. There are lots of different laws for concealed carry in Tenn. then from my home in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Signs posted after you commit the crime.

Signs posted after you commit the crime.

Just got back from vacation in the smoky mountains. There are lots of different laws for concealed carry in Tenn. then from my home in Missouri. I went into a restaurant that had absolutely no gun buster sign. I also knew that as long as I didn't drink, I should be ok to CC given there was no sign at the entrance. After ordering a water, I noticed a sign across the room that said carrying a weapon where alcohol was served or sold made me guilty of a misdemeanor. Before you guys make me feel dumb, I know its my responsibility to read the laws through and through before traveling. My question is, is this law common in most states? If so, why are the signs not at the entrance. I chose to continue eating because leaving would not have made me any less guilty. Why would a state notify you after you have committed the crime? Even though I don't drink and carry, in Missouri, I could if I really wanted to, and then a bordering state in a complete 180. I am very thankful for living in Missouri. Also, I feel like I don't want to go back to the wonderful state of Tenn. because I cannot even legally carry in gas stations because alcohol is sold there. What do you guys think? The sign said it was state law BTW and I also saw it in a couple liquor stores in the same town I ate in. I did not see these sign anywhere in west tenn.

2. Remove Ads

The noose around all of our necks is getting tighter and tighter.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

In every jurisdiction in the United States, "ignorance of the law is no excuse." That said, there are signage requirements that vary by state, and the first place to look is Handgunlaw.us
    Just be aware that that's not the LAST place to look; that site is offered as a public service but is not guaranteed to be 100% up to date and accurate.

Bottom line, it's your responsibility to understand the carry laws in any state where you travel armed. Knowing that "reciprocity" exists between your destination state and your home state doesn't mean the laws there are the same as at home. Now you know for next time - right?
    msgt/ret, Tzadik and blitzburgh like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Here we are restricted from carrying in (paraphrasing) an establishment whose main item of sale is alcohol. In some states its the 51% rule meaning if 51% of revenue is generated by alcohol, no cc. I do not know the correctness of this thinking, but my class we were advised that even in a restaurant avoiding the bar area seating may be prudent.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

It was a normal eating establishment, not a bar. The sign read that state law prohibits carrying a gun where alcohol is served or sold. Not "sold for consumption," but sold period. Without making anyone guilty, are you Tennesseans really disarming every time you get gas? Just curious.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    It was a normal eating establishment, not a bar. The sign read that state law prohibits carrying a gun where alcohol is served or sold. Not "sold for consumption," but sold period. Without making anyone guilty, are you Tennesseans really disarming every time you get gas? Just curious.
    No, I'm not....
    jem102 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Just got back from vacation in the smoky mountains. There are lots of different laws for concealed carry in Tenn. then from my home in Missouri. I went into a restaurant that had absolutely no gun buster sign. I also knew that as long as I didn't drink, I should be ok to CC given there was no sign at the entrance. After ordering a water, I noticed a sign across the room that said carrying a weapon where alcohol was served or sold made me guilty of a misdemeanor. Before you guys make me feel dumb, I know its my responsibility to read the laws through and through before traveling. My question is, is this law common in most states? If so, why are the signs not at the entrance. I chose to continue eating because leaving would not have made me any less guilty. Why would a state notify you after you have committed the crime? Even though I don't drink and carry, in Missouri, I could if I really wanted to, and then a bordering state in a complete 180. I am very thankful for living in Missouri. Also, I feel like I don't want to go back to the wonderful state of Tenn. because I cannot even legally carry in gas stations because alcohol is sold there. What do you guys think? The sign said it was state law BTW and I also saw it in a couple liquor stores in the same town I ate in. I did not see these sign anywhere in west tenn.
    OhMyGodEverybodyPanic!!!

Not directed at you, OP. Just the people who overreact without researching the law first.

The sign that you saw was outdated. By law, you may carry in any establishment that sells alcohol (or for that matter, doesn't) in Tennessee which is not posted with one of the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY
    OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle.

It is no longer automatically against the law to carry into an establishment that sells alcohol. It is only illegal if they are properly posted.
    jem102, Vuva3rae and JTNiggle like this.

Some states , like Tennessee and the one's that were in No. Carolina, made me decide it wasn't worth making notes on all of the places " I couldn't go" , and I would just go somewhere else and spend my money. I've added Colorado to the list now as well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I noticed a sign across the room that said carrying a weapon where alcohol was served or sold made me guilty of a misdemeanor. Before you guys make me feel dumb, I know its my responsibility to read the laws through and through before traveling. My question is, is this law common in most states?
    Every state is different, of course.

In many, "they" equate alcohol with criminality, with all but ensuring someone's going to go ballistic or negligent with a defensive weapon. As you've seen, in some states they most definitely disallow carrying into any such place. Some only claim you criminal if you imbibe. Some only claim the entry to such a place criminal if it derives >50% of its revenues from alcohol. Etc, etc. One of the many things to check on, if you're traveling. Gotta know what you need to know, else stay out of the "questionable" venues until you do know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Gotta know what you need to know, else stay out of the "questionable" venues until you do know.
    Interesting how these (questionable) venues are precisely the places we need to be armed.

OK, so I can't carry here..here or here. Signage is posted and supported by state law.
    Before we know it, about the only place we'll be CC is our home...

Musical interlude: "It's beginning to look a lot like England"
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Interesting how these (questionable) venues are precisely the places we need to be armed.
    Yeah. Silly, isn't it? "Public" transportation (buses, subways, trains), restaurants, parks, places that happen to serve alcoholic beverages, theaters, "city" (the People's) buildings/lands, out in the wilds (parks, forests), ...

By design, I'd say. Nothing like disarming people to make them safer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    I wrote a letter (which they printed) to one of our 4th estate rags after a local columnist did a piece on "why people carry a weapon."

He maintained "why not frequent [nice] places where a gun is not needed?"

Part of my response was "Sure, how about schools, theaters and shopping malls?" "Chicago would be a (nice) place to visit since no one is allowed to carry a gun there"
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

If somebody isn't, then they're admitting to breaking the law which is highly discouraged here. But, if you pay at the pump and need nothing from inside the store, there really isn't a need to disarm IMO.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

In Georgia, it's illegal to carry in a bar. According to the District Attorney of my county (Gwinnett), Gwinnett County does not issue "bar" licenses. They only issue liquor licenses to restaurants, so it is not illegal to carry in an establishment just because they serve alcohol.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    In Georgia, it's illegal to carry in a bar. According to the District Attorney of my county (Gwinnett), Gwinnett County does not issue "bar" licenses. They only issue liquor licenses to restaurants, so it is not illegal to carry in an establishment just because they serve alcohol.
    Yep, legal here to carry in bars, clubs, liquor stores, restaurants, or about anywhere else ..... and gee, there have been no problems. Law-abiding citizens carrying guns, tend to stay that way as well. None of the blood in the parking lots , etc. that was predicted..... again. I think it's a lame argument to restrict these places. It seems only the major cities want to push all of the restrictions, and in this state... they are losing that battle.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links