Found the ultimate comfort and concealment setup

This is a discussion on Found the ultimate comfort and concealment setup within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a quick post to maybe give someone else ideas on concealment methods. I'm 5'8" and 180 lb. If your physique is similar maybe give ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Found the ultimate comfort and concealment setup

Just a quick post to maybe give someone else ideas on concealment methods. I'm 5'8" and 180 lb. If your physique is similar maybe give this a try!

To put it simply, a hybrid IWB holster (in this case my new Foxx holster), inner shirt, a short sleeved dress shirt as outer garment and shorts or jeans. It looks super casual and works three seasons of the year (winter is concealment heaven with winter jackets on us all the time) or in hotter climates.

Tried it today with amazing success. Zero printing regardless of what I did and very comfortable even with my G36 strapped on all day. I tried it later with the G19 too and had similarly great success (the 36 hid better and had better comfort, overall)

Keys to this were a checkered pattern and loose fitting dress shirt outer garment that completely blurs any shadows that cause printing and wearing the IWB holster very low - the trigger guard should be fully submersed under the belt line - and at a strict 3.30 position.

I think I'm going to go shopping for more short sleeved dress shirts!

Placement of my Glock 36...

Under my dress shirt cover garment...

Applied some tension on the dress shirt to force printing. Still couldn't see a good silhouette...

Tension plus bent at the waist. No printing either (it doesn't look like a gun at least)...
    Last edited by DetChris; June 7th, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Glad it works for you, but for me that would suck.

Dont like Glocks and my love handles make that position extremely visible. But as I said, if its the ultimate for you, you got off cheap! You are supposed to have a drawer full of holsters before you find "it"!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Nicely executed.

Patterned shirts and dark shirts which don't show shadows enhance concealability. Tonight I'm wearing a black knit polo shirt, and the CW9 in a paddle holster (OWB) is even less conspicuous than your piece, because of the dark, nonreflective color of the shirt.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Glad it works for you, but for me that would suck.

Dont like Glocks and my love handles make that position extremely visible. But as I said, if its the ultimate for you, you got off cheap! You are supposed to have a drawer full of holsters before you find "it"!
    This was my 8th holster! But these Foxx holsters (proudly made in my neighboring town of Warren, Michigan suburb of Detroit) are very well thought out and made. At $39 before shipping, they're a steal. Very good concealment and extremely comfortable.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    Glad you found another one you like. It wouldn't work for me because my fingers scrape on my belt line when the grip sits that close.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Glad you found another one you like. It wouldn't work for me because my fingers scrape on my belt line when the grip sits that close.
    I'm holding onto the Ohio special too. I did find that all kydex holsters are very position specific. Trying to force a high spot to sit on bone gets really uncomfortable after awhile. The hybrid design follows most body shapes really well. Still I like to experiment so the Ohio special will see duty when I feel like trying something else. But the Foxx may be my new favorite.

Distinguished Member
    Yes, ultimate . . . for you. I can't stand even the thought of wearing 2 shirts on a 95+ degree day, which we are not too far away from.

But I'm glad you have found something that works for you, I consider myself lucky to have found what works best for me, which isn't limited to certain styles, colors or patterns of shirts - I gotta be able to rock just a t-shirt.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Yes, ultimate . . . for you. I can't stand even the thought of wearing 2 shirts on a 95+ degree day, which we are not too far away from.

But I'm glad you have found something that works for you, I consider myself lucky to have found what works best for me, which isn't limited to certain styles, colors or patterns of shirts - I gotta be able to rock just a t-shirt.
    I absolutely have to wear a wife beater underneath it all, regardless of the weather. Leather, kydex, polymer and metal all ride against my bare skin equally poorly. The Foxx looks like it will easily hide under a T-shirt.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I absolutely have to wear a wife beater underneath it all, regardless of the weather. Leather, kydex, polymer and metal all ride against my bare skin equally poorly. The Foxx looks like it will easily hide under a T-shirt.
    It does. The low submerged height and the very good conformance to my body due to the leather makes it easy to hide my G26 or 36 even under a T-shirt. The low height causes any printing to look like a pager or cell phone, not a pistol handle. With an over garment, I could hide my 19 with ease. Heck, I may get the G20 Foxx holster and try hiding my Glock 20! Now that would be a crazy carry piece!

Yes, ultimate . . . for you.
    Well yeah, I did say it was about what I personally found. Sorry it doesn't work for you, though. Everyone's preference and physiques are different. For a 5' 8" 180 lb guy like me, this works.

Thought it would give some ideas to guys still looking for a good setup. I was striking out quite a bit until today.

Distinguished Member
    Sorry didn't mean to be offensive (probably was a little). I'm really am glad you found something that works for you, which looks like it works very well from you pictures.

I'm not sorry it doesn't work for me, like I said - I'm lucky to have found the same thing - something that works perfect for me.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Sorry didn't mean to be offensive (probably was a little). I'm really am glad you found something that works for you, which looks like it works very well from you pictures.

I'm not sorry it doesn't work for me, like I said - I'm lucky to have found the same thing - something that works perfect for me.
    No offense at all! Can you share your setup? I'm getting curious now :)

CSG
    Been there, done that. I've ended up settling on a smaller pistol (Ruger LCP w/LaserMax) carried in either a Mika or Bear Creek pocket holster. I don't have to think twice about dressing around CC. Love the 36 and had one for a few years but I bought it as a carry gun and ended up not carrying it very often. If I was going to carry a .45, I prefer my Kimber CDP Compact 1911. But I don't carry that very often either and when I do it's usually in an OWB paddle holster.

Great job. Your shape, great belt and holster, low carry position, tight to the body, a decently "confusing" pattern/texture to the covering garment, heavily tested in all positions, motions, situations. All of the right things to do.

Now, gradually, winnow out your pants that aren't of the right cut, right material; and, gradually add to your collection of such covering garments as neatly hide the bulges, edges. You'll end up with a mix-and-match wardrobe that's hard to beat.

Congratulations on finding something effective so soon. Many of us aren't nearly that lucky.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Looks just right they way you have it. I didn't see a link to the holster you are using or did I just miss it?

I've found busy patterns and dark colors help hide the printing if there is any and light solid colors make the printing show up better or easier so even in the Summer I try to wear darker colors unless I am going to be in the sun all day. In that case I would switch to one of my micro-sized handguns. That's when the DB9 or 5 shot NAA .22 Magnum come in handy. Not the ultimate carry guns but much better than not carrying. Ever heard one of those little .22 Mags shoot? They are crazy loud for such a small caliber. Just the sound will probably make most bad guys pee their pants. :D
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links